Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking up a Max XRS this weekend and I want to order a winch for it but I'm concerned it won't fit. The winch I'm looking at is the Warn ProVantage 4500-s. Does anyone have any experience with this winch, good or bad? If anyone has the dimensions of their winch that's installed it would be appreciated. What did you guys use for a mounting plate?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the WARN RT-40 direct from BRP on a max, with no issues. I believe WARN replaced these winches with the PROVANTAGE series.

Reactions: SoCalJeff

·
Registered
684 Posts
I put on a viper 5k with a utv inc winch mount. It is a tight fit, but it works just fine. I had to modify the plate on my bumper so the winch rope won't drag on it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I put on a viper 5k with a utv inc winch mount. It is a tight fit, but it works just fine. I had to modify the plate on my bumper so the winch rope won't drag on it.

Is that the synthetic rope on your winch? how you like it? seem durable and just as strong as cable?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Is that the synthetic rope on your winch? how you like it? seem durable and just as strong as cable?
Synthetic is absolutely the only way to go I have been using them for years I got one for my jeep before they were popular and loved it. They have more stength than wire and are safer no snap back if they break also never get stabbed from a frayed wire. Fast foward 15 years and running one on the Mav and love it also.
My personal choice is master pull they are a boat rigging maker that started making them years ago. Just my .02€

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the quick replies and pictures. I also emailed Warn and they said it will fit. Do many guys on here run the Viper winches? How have they been? It's impressive that they can make a 5000lb winch in that small of a package.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Dsniper22 go to kfiproducts.com and check out the stealth series winch they have. I think you will like it and the price over the warn. I use there winch and never had any issues. Plus customer service is outstanding.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ive owned 2 viper winches with zero issues which i cant say the same for warn as i have had to have it rebuilt.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have had 2 viper winches in the past with synthetic...no problems with either. Currently installing a viper 5 elite widespool with remote control

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
548 Posts
My viper elite 5k widespool has done everything I have asked of it without issue. If you are not used to synthetic winch rope there are a few things to keep in mind when using it.
Do not hook the hook back to the cable. A always use a strap so the hook pulls straight in the thimble.

Do not run your winch non stop for a long period of time. Run for 30 seconds, then let it cool for at LEAST 30 seconds. A winch generates quite a bit of heat when running. Heat is the enemy of your synthetic rope.

Do not use your winch to tie your machine to the trailer. Winches are for pulling... Not anchoring.

That sliding cover on the rope works well if your rope is going to be rubbing against an object. Slide it down to the rub point to avoid fraying your cable.

Synthetic rope is vastly stronger than steel cable of the same size. I believe the 1/4" rope on my Viper is rated at 8600 lbs. With a little forethought, it will last a long time.

Reactions: vquad

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have pulled a few jeeps out of the mud that were buried to the frame with my Viper 5k wide spool with synthetic rope from motoalliance. They are currently having a eBay sale and everything you need to bolt it on come with the kit. Call them if you have any question, great customer service! FYI: Keep the winch clean!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I finally had chance to mount up the 4500 Pro Vantage. I bought the BRP mounting plate and the holes for the new warn winches are slightly wider than the existing models. 5 minutes with a carbide bit on a die grinder and that was fixed. approx 1/8-1/4" correction needed. The winch fit into place nicely and all of the wiring fit (barely long enough) but the hawse fairlead is about 4-6" higher that the winch. Unless you tie off to a tree 10ft up in the air, there's going to be a lot of friction and load on that fairlead. Have you guys ran into any issues with this?

·
Vendor
114 Posts
Thanks for the great support here, guys. PM me if you need a VIPER winch and I can get you hooked up.

Agree 100% on synthetic. I will say there is a difference between the Chinese generic dyneema rope and the US-Made AMSTEEL-BLUE rope. We only use the AMSTEEL-BLUE ropes. They are used in the shipping industry to resist the brutal ocean conditions and come with a full one-year warranty. No other rope has this kind of warranty.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
222 Posts
i just bought the winch plate from brp and bought a superwinch terra 35 now i will have to drill new holes cause that plate is not made for the superwinch terra 35

1 - 18 of 18 Posts