Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with part of what your saying but I when I bought my first SxS I bought a Kawi instead of the Rzr. I did that because kawi was a better built machine and it was slower. And yes the Kawi was underpowered the day I bought it. Somethings are easier to improve with mods but not fit & finish. I was a little hesitant about the Can-Am but after buying it and opening it up for inspection, the quality of engineering is impressive. I dont agree with everything they did but alot of the design items they got right. From what I have seen with the Rzr's, it is just the opposite. They went cheap on most things and got only a few things right. IMO. However this is a new car, so time will tell us if its better or not.

No doubt they went on the cheap with the interior. I believe that was a strategic move on their part to maximize profit as most riders are more concerned with performance and agility over a stylish interior. At the end of the day it's a fancy atv. They're bought to ride and have fun on. The low center of gravity seating and amazing handling is where polaris nailed it and is the reason rzr dominates sxs sales. Can am has captured the 'I want to look good crowd' with a great looking interior, good cab space, the best seats put in a sxs. Really just depends on what you're looking for in a machine. Both companies make a machine that'll put a smile on your face after a fun day of riding and really that's all it's about for most of us.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I say enjoy what you got or what you can afford, any day ona SXS in the woods is better than a day at work..... I've had a rhino, rzr's, XP, and now I'm riding in a Maverick. I've enjoyed them all and had problems outa them all.... Like the old Kawasaki commercial said: let the good times roll!!!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
No doubt they went on the cheap with the interior. I believe that was a strategic move on their part to maximize profit as most riders are more concerned with performance and agility over a stylish interior. At the end of the day it's a fancy atv. They're bought to ride and have fun on. The low center of gravity seating and amazing handling is where polaris nailed it and is the reason rzr dominates sxs sales. Can am has captured the 'I want to look good crowd' with a great looking interior, good cab space, the best seats put in a sxs. Really just depends on what you're looking for in a machine. Both companies make a machine that'll put a smile on your face after a fun day of riding and really that's all it's about for most of us.
I would say that is a fairly accurate statement but I believe Can-am has better engineering as a whole design package.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well Hell let me add to the war here. I took possesion of my new Wildcat "X" on Saterday. Now I have a LT Commander and an Arctic cat however still will not buy a Polaris lol.
Hope you like the looks of the new rear box on the XP1000....You'll spend plenty of time staring at it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Odyknuck I hope you know that last post was all in fun.......Hope your not one of the over sensative guys that frequent boards. I've owned them all. I've praised all of them and I've cursed all of them to. I have a buddy who bought a new rzr in 2011 and a month later I bought a used 09. He replaced two axles and blew the motor at 1100 miles. I bought my used on with 600 miles and put over 3000 miles on it without ever replacing a part and I drove mine twice as hard as he did his...... Sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you get a lemon.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Not a problem bud, I have much thicker skin than that lol. I was just thinking I had no XP1000s to follow yet! I'm with you, what ever you want to drive is fine with me. We all have our preference and mine has changed to a Wildcat for this year. Who knows maybe in a few more years it may be a
RZR.............................................. Just kidding!

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Actually it will more likely be a Yamaha. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I know guys who wouldn't drive a can am over a rzr if it were half the price. IMO the can am interior and overall design and looks of the rides are superior. As far as on the trail goes I prefer the rzr as it just performs. I owned an 09 rzr I put over 3000 miles on and never replaced a single part on. Changed the oil and other than that, I drove the shit out of it. Was it a great looking machine inside? Not really but it'd climb a wall and never left me stranded. I love the mav as well but I'm certain of one thing. It's going to cost me more in maintence than my rzr ever did and that's ok I like it's styling and I can live with it's faults. I'll be checking out the new XP1000 for sure as the fact is this is the first time that polaris has had to leapfrog anyone for top dog status for a very long time and I'm sure they nailed it. Guys like bulldog who are dead set on on manufacturer are fools. I'll bounce back and forth based on who's in the lead and if we're being honest with ourselves how long has polaris not been in the lead in the sxs market. Been very brief stints as everyone else has played catch up since 2007. I think the fact that more people have purchased rzr's over that time than all other sxs's combined speaks CLEARLY to that point. I understated that by a mile. It's PROOF they set the standard.
3000 miles and you never replaced a wheel bearing or brake pads or a-arm bushings? Those were the exact reasons I got rid of my XP900. Every week it was something wore out.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I've been meaning to ask. I am a Yamaha guy. Why in the hell do they not get in the sport market? They have some solid motors they could drop in one.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I've been meaning to ask. I am a Yamaha guy. Why in the hell do they not get in the sport market? They have some solid motors they could drop in one.
there back in the game they said starting with there new Viking and going to bring a new sxs out every year for the next 5 years they said !! we will see

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
They needed to separate from the Rhino name due to all the law suits. So now they have a new platform to move forward with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
3000 miles and you never replaced a wheel bearing or brake pads or a-arm bushings? Those were the exact reasons I got rid of my XP900. Every week it was something wore out.

None of those things. Was still on original belt as well. I did tell a small lie as I did replace the fuel pump at around 1900 miles. Was such a minor and cheap issue I had really just forgot about it. Cost me like $80 and took about 20 minutes to replace. Outside of that nothing. Was just a great machine. Havent spoken with the new owner since it left but I was amazed at how well it held up to all I put it through. I even drowned the motor out at about 900 miles..Took a wrong turn on a creek branch while riding at night and dove off in a water whole about 6ft deep. Didnt refire it, drug it home changed the oil 6 consecutive times and never missed a beat. Guys on forums told me it wouldn't last another 500 miles after I drowned it. Hoping I dont test the mav's water resistance.....

·
Registered
477 Posts
V H you obviously had a good one, or do not ride like some members. I had an 09 S with 2400 miles when I sold it. Here's a list of goodies replaced. Motor , clutch, 4 belts, bushings every 600 miles, fuel pump, front diff, two axles. Dont get me wrong I enjoyed my S but it had lot of problems that extended warranty covered.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
engineering dept, form fit and function, can am has been top dog since day 1 of sxs when they jumped in to the market. pop had no completion to speak of until a few short years back, so of course they would be top dog by default, the commander was best in its class (UTILITY) and still hung with then xp 900 pretty darn good which was sport. mavericks are leaping out of the dealerships, ive seen it. heck they 9 that come into so Nevada did not last 1 day, max, forget it, 8 more weeks to buy local. when we got our max we stopped at the oregan dunes/beaches for 3 nights, I wished I had a dime for every single person who stopped and looked, asked questions, come out of the café and there is 15 people around it talking. I tried to join my family for 20 minutes one day inside eating and could not get away from questions and lookers. it was nuts, in a good way of course.

if you notice the big sxs areas, dunes, etc. where a few short years back you may be the only person with a canam, and 100 other machines, now is chopped hard, its not one sided, and will continue to climb in time, as most cant buy a new machine every 2-4 years, so that factor remains, look at the dunes and trails in say 5 years. expect a full mix

·
Registered
6 Posts
engineering dept, form fit and function, can am has been top dog since day 1 of sxs when they jumped in to the market. pop had no completion to speak of until a few short years back, so of course they would be top dog by default, the commander was best in its class (UTILITY) and still hung with then xp 900 pretty darn good which was sport. mavericks are leaping out of the dealerships, ive seen it. heck they 9 that come into so Nevada did not last 1 day, max, forget it, 8 more weeks to buy local. when we got our max we stopped at the oregan dunes/beaches for 3 nights, I wished I had a dime for every single person who stopped and looked, asked questions, come out of the café and there is 15 people around it talking. I tried to join my family for 20 minutes one day inside eating and could not get away from questions and lookers. it was nuts, in a good way of course.

if you notice the big sxs areas, dunes, etc. where a few short years back you may be the only person with a canam, and 100 other machines, now is chopped hard, its not one sided, and will continue to climb in time, as most cant buy a new machine every 2-4 years, so that factor remains, look at the dunes and trails in say 5 years. expect a full mix
Going to disagree with the function part being top dog from the beginning. Visco lock blows and polaris awd system was and is far superior. The new qe has fixed that but you said from the beginning. I agree with most of what you said.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
How much experience do you have operating anything with the regular visco lok?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts