Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1401 - 1420 of 1699 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
900 Posts
I did learn some good information from the experienced rock climbers like filling the front tires 1/4 with water and that I needed to drop my air pressure lower then I was running to 5psi. I also will need to adjust my suspension making it a lot softer to flex over the rocks with less tip. Before I need to add water to my front tires I will have to grow some bigger balls to do some of those rock climbs I am a long ways away from being ready to do that. My Can Am will need to be dialed in 100% as there is no room for any error in what they were climbing some of the time. I am taking baby steps right now and still working on finding all the weak links to get improved the best they can. Then I will need to gain a ton of experience before I would ever feel safe trying what those guys did that day.
A set of 35" sticky Roxillas is all you need for that area. The portals and 37's are going to hold you back. The 4dr wheelbase is going to help and hurt on some obstacles. The portals are always going to plague you with reliability problems in that environment because even 35's alone push the limits for the machine's strength. I've run water in my Jeep tires and didn't think it helped.

I'm not saying to stop liking what I don't like but ditching the portals and running 35's will making learning easier because you won't break nearly as much at every new-guy mistake. As much as I love watching the haters get wrecked I think the portals are counterproductive.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I did learn some good information from the experienced rock climbers like filling the front tires 1/4 with water and that I needed to drop my air pressure lower then I was running to 5psi. I also will need to adjust my suspension making it a lot softer to flex over the rocks with less tip. Before I need to add water to my front tires I will have to grow some bigger balls to do some of those rock climbs I am a long ways away from being ready to do that. My Can Am will need to be dialed in 100% as there is no room for any error in what they were climbing some of the time. I am taking baby steps right now and still working on finding all the weak links to get improved the best they can. Then I will need to gain a ton of experience before I would ever feel safe trying what those guys did that day.
I thought you west coast guys filled them up all the way? Why water? Even out there I figured washer fluid would be the go to.

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,403 ·
A set of 35" sticky Roxillas is all you need for that area. The portals and 37's are going to hold you back. The 4dr wheelbase is going to help and hurt on some obstacles. The portals are always going to plague you with reliability problems in that environment because even 35's alone push the limits for the machine's strength. I've run water in my Jeep tires and didn't think it helped.

I'm not saying to stop liking what I don't like but ditching the portals and running 35's will making learning easier because you won't break nearly as much at every new-guy mistake. As much as I love watching the haters get wrecked I think the portals are counterproductive.
I would have to change up a few things to go up what their group went up at times, and extra roof stereo weight would need to go as i saw how much they tip without that extra weight.. I already have custom backing plates for portals getting made so I will just have to go down the learning curve of breaking until I learn to do everything right.
I thought you west coast guys filled them up all the way? Why water? Even out there I figured washer fluid would be the go to.
@craigstumph would have to answer that question, as I just learned about the water in the tires.

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,404 · (Edited)

Wouldn't running 80lbs of water in each front tire be compared to the 15lb portals with the extra width be about the same for breaking?

·
Premium Member
2020 X3 X RS RR
782 Posts
Wouldn't running 80lbs of water in each front tire be compared to the 15lb portals with the extra width be about the same for breaking?
I can't imagine what the water will do to balance at any real speed. Probably limited to 20 MPH or so.

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,407 ·
I can't imagine what the water will do to balance at any real speed. Probably limited to 20 MPH or so.
Craig was doing around 40 MPH with the water in his tire with a not to bad vibration. I don't think you would want to go much faster then that.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
I just got to say op attitude is impeccable. He broke some shit but the amount of shit that got spit his way was like wow. He took it all with a grain of salt and a smile. Most guys on here would get butt hurt . It’s nice to see such a great attitude with no chip on his shoulder willing to take advise from others that may have more experience than him. You don’t see that very often anymore. Most guys come on here with something to prove , but not him. I’d be willing to bet he has learned more after breaking everything than he ever did before. Once again kudos to the op. I wish there were more like him on here . It’s like when he wakes up and it’s raining he just says , well the sun will come out . ….. awesome thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have to agree 100 percent dizzle..

·
Premium Member
14,609 Posts
I just got to say op attitude is impeccable. He broke some shit but the amount of shit that got spit his way was like wow. He took it all with a grain of salt and a smile. Most guys on here would get butt hurt . It’s nice to see such a great attitude with no chip on his shoulder willing to take advise from others that may have more experience than him. You don’t see that very often anymore. Most guys come on here with something to prove , but not him. I’d be willing to bet he has learned more after breaking everything than he ever did before. Once again kudos to the op. I wish there were more like him on here . It’s like when he wakes up and it’s raining he just says , well the sun will come out . ….. awesome thread

He's definitely been a trooper and good for him!

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,412 · (Edited)
@SUPERSMITH Glad we were able to help you out . Us "Seniors" might know a thing or 3 😂

Don't listen to the negative portal comments. A properly setup portal rig will out wheel a non-portal rig all day 👍
Hi Joe,
Thanks again for the welding up on my broken tie rod bracket. It was a blast to ride with your group and to see what you very skilled rock climbers can do. I also want to thank @craigstumph for taking me along for the ride. I had no clue a SXS would climb like that, and thought only a Rock Bouncer could do that. Its going to be a while for me to get the feel and be able to brave a lot of those rocks you guys climbed making it look so easy.

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,413 ·

Thanks Dizzle. I have just learned over time when something negative happens just roll with it and look for another option to keep moving forward. Life is too short to let anything get you down as sometime it takes bad things to happen before you find the right path. :)

·
Premium Member
14,609 Posts
Thanks Dizzle. I have just learned over time when something negative happens just roll with it and look for another option to keep moving forward. Life is too short to let anything get you down as sometime it takes bad things to happen before you find the right path. :)
Is that one of those "If life gives you lemons, you make lemonade"?

·
Registered
211 Posts
That's right. Y'all gotta..
Accentuate the positive,
Eliminate the negative,
And latch on to the affirmative
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Hey, that stuff works man. & Supersmith is living proof!
Kudos Buddy.

Bing!

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,417 ·
Just got off the phone with SATV warranty division. They are replacing the broken parts and sending them next day air to me so I can get it up and running to go back to Sand Hollow on Saturday. Since I have had several issues they threw in the next day shipment. Big Thanks to @SuperATV for the great service I have always received from them.

·
Premium Member
14,609 Posts
Just got off the phone with SATV warranty division. They are replacing the broken parts and sending them next day air to me so I can get it up and running to go back to Sand Hollow on Saturday. Since I have had several issues they threw in the next day shipment. Big Thanks to @SuperATV for the great service I have always received from them.
Luck is definitely still on your side!!!

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,419 · (Edited)
Luck is definitely still on your side!!!
Except for breaking stuff Luck is on my side. They told me the shippers had already left for the day and it would get shipped out tomorrow arriving on Friday. 30 minutes ago I got a UPS notice that SATV package would arrive tomorrow by 12. Someone must have pushed this thru fast to make sure I would get it in time for me to make Saturday trip to Sand Hollow.
Your package is arriving tomorrow.
From SUPER ATV LLC
Scheduled Delivery​
Thursday 10/21/2021
12:00 PM

·
Premium Member
14,609 Posts
Except for breaking stuff Luck is on my side. They told me the shippers had already left for the day and it would get shipped out tomorrow arriving on Friday. 30 minutes ago I got a UPS notice that SATV package would arrive tomorrow by 12. Someone must have pushed this thru fast to make sure I would get it in time for me to make Saturday trip to Sand Hollow.
Your package is arriving tomorrow.
From SUPER ATV LLC
Scheduled Delivery​
Thursday 10/21/2021
12:00 PM
Go play the lottery!

1401 - 1420 of 1699 Posts