Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1341 - 1360 of 1442 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,140 Posts
When that clip comes out your rear tire will twist a little (like rear steering) putting more strain on the middle radius rod bolt. This is the second time both sides have came out. I talked to Ross and he said its very easy to install them wrong. Now I just need to figure out how to install them correctly especially if the dealer was not able to do it.
Are you certain the portal isn't causing it?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,342 ·
Ross Races with the portals, and he just simple said the clips must have been install wrong, and that its easy to do it wrong.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,343 ·
Working on the double shear for the Middle Radius Rod. It would have been a lot easier if I could weld better, but I got the bracket done finally. Now I just need to get the rear axles out and portals taken off to fix the bushings that came out Then I can get the brackets welded up to the portal backing plates.
Hood Motor vehicle Wood Automotive tire Door
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Body jewelry Grey

Reactions: Sublimeshooter

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,344 ·
Got the double shear brackets welded to the portal backing plates. Installed all new bushing with C clips. Decided to try and figure out why they keep coming out, so used press to put some pressure on the bushings when installed. Several failed and pushed the clip bushing right out. I was able to get all but one to stay installed when tested with press. The one I will have to go to a machine shop to see if they can make the clip grove a little deeper so it will hold. If they are able to do it I will have all of them done to make it easier to install the clips correctly.
Gas Auto part Metal Composite material
Automotive tire Rim Tints and shades Gas Auto part
Eye Automotive tire Human body Road surface Grey
Auto part Metal Fashion accessory Handgun holster Font

Reactions: Sublimeshooter

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,345 ·
So I figured out what the issue was with the clips coming out. It appears that the groves were just slightly not deep enough that would allow the clips to look like they were installed correctly but able to pop out when medium pressure applied to them with a press. While putting the bushings and clips in I decided to test them with my press to see if the clip would pop out. 2 of the 4 came out. It took 3 tries to get all of them to stay in except one wouldn't hold with pressure applied. I bought a small Dremel with a 1/2 grinding disk that I stacked 2 discs together to match C clip thickness. I grinded all 4 C clip groves then installed bushings with C clips. They all fit perfect and held after using press to test. Everything is ready now to put the back end all back together.
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Window Road surface Vehicle
Automotive tire Grey Water Asphalt Wood
Wood Gas Auto part Metal Brick

·
Premium Member
14,140 Posts
So I figured out what the issue was with the clips coming out. It appears that the groves were just slightly not deep enough that would allow the clips to look like they were installed correctly but able to pop out when medium pressure applied to them with a press. While putting the bushings and clips in I decided to test them with my press to see if the clip would pop out. 2 of the 4 came out. It took 3 tries to get all of them to stay in except one wouldn't hold with pressure applied. I bought a small Dremel with a 1/2 grinding disk that I stacked 2 discs together to match C clip thickness. I grinded all 4 C clip groves then installed bushings with C clips. They all fit perfect and held after using press to test. Everything is ready now to put the back end all back together.
View attachment 273190 View attachment 273191 View attachment 273192
I would still keep an eye on them when you go on your first trip.

Reactions: SUPERSMITH

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,347 ·
Just about done putting backend together. Double shear installed, and issue with bushing C clip resolved.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Asphalt Automotive design Automotive exterior
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle

·
Registered
101 Posts
Holy crap Supersmith. You joined 8 months ago and already have over 1200 posts! That’s gotta be a new world record! Anyway, great job with your car. You’ve put in a lot of hard work and the car is looking great. Personally I like how your doing something a bit different than most. It’s your car, do whatever you want brother.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,354 ·

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,355 ·
Yup need to swap them over.
They didn't get switched. There is no preload on the rear its full extended travel right now.
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Wood Bumper Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,357 ·
It looks like the middles are on the wrong sides.
They are correct. You will see once I put the wheels on and load up the supension.

·
Registered
214 Posts
They are correct. You will see once I put the wheels on and load up the supension.
Look at the sharp bend on the middle rod. You have it on the outboard end. NRP shows them on the inboard end. Look where the adjustable ends are located. The middles and lowers look like they are on the wrong sides.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,359 ·
Holy crap Supersmith. You joined 8 months ago and already have over 1200 posts! That’s gotta be a new world record! Anyway, great job with your car. You’ve put in a lot of hard work and the car is looking great. Personally I like how your doing something a bit different than most. It’s your car, do whatever you want brother.
Thanks. I still have more to get done on it. Carbon fiber dash is ordered up, and I am working on getting custom Chromoly cage built to match factory angles so all accessories will work. Its been an interesting journey. :)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,360 · (Edited)
Look at the sharp bend on the middle rod. You have it on the outboard end. NRP shows them on the inboard end. Look where the adjustable ends are located. The middles and lowers look like they are on the wrong sides.
I will double check. I put them on just the way they came off. If they were installed wrong originally I put them back the same way. This is a picture of before, and its installed the same way now.
Plant Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle

1341 - 1360 of 1442 Posts