Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1301 - 1320 of 1439 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,140 Posts
Well… it doesn’t matter anymore anyway. LOL

No one can say you aren’t a good sport about this. Idk if it’s you’re too far invested to stop or it’s simply the drive to get it bomb proof but I admire your dedication to the project especially now that you’re doing the work.
X2!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,302 ·
Well… it doesn’t matter anymore anyway. LOL

No one can say you aren’t a good sport about this. Idk if it’s you’re too far invested to stop or it’s simply the drive to get it bomb proof but I admire your dedication to the project especially now that you’re doing the work.
I should have done all the work myself from the start. I just didn't think I had the time to do it and didn't want the build to drag on a year. Well its almost been a year. lol These are really easy to work on and I actually enjoy working on them as a hobby, but never as a day job.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I should have done all the work myself from the start. I just didn't think I had the time to do it and didn't want the build to drag on a year. Well its almost been a year. lol These are really easy to work on and I actually enjoy working on them as a hobby, but never as a day job.

TL;DR. — Hobbies become joblike but with beer.
Be careful, this hobby turns into life. Here’s my shortish story….I joined CanAm life in late 19 but was riding Rzr and four wheelers for years before that. Sometime in 19 I talked my dad into going on a trip with me and he quickly got hooked and was the first to get an X3. I liked his well enough I bought its twin and sold my buddy the RZR. My buddy got his dad interested so he bought a KRX which my buddy liked so he got rid of my old RZR and bought a twin to his dads. Fast forward a little bit and the girl is tired of being a passenger so we get her an OG Mav. My shop has the best tools of the group since I don’t wrench professionally anymore, plus I have a lift, and there’s a fridge that stays stocked, so this is damn near turning into a second job wrenching on all these different machines on the weekends and occasional evenings.

So what I’m getting at is, get your friends involved and have atv repair parties. It helps your soul when you get to tease them about spending their money on shit they broke instead of it all being yours.

·
Premium Member
14,140 Posts
Be careful, this hobby turns into life. Here’s my shortish story….I joined CanAm life in late 19 but was riding Rzr and four wheelers for years before that. Sometime in 19 I talked my dad into going on a trip with me and he quickly got hooked and was the first to get an X3. I liked his well enough I bought its twin and sold my buddy the RZR. My buddy got his dad interested so he bought a KRX which my buddy liked so he got rid of my old RZR and bought a twin to his dads. Fast forward a little bit and the girl is tired of being a passenger so we get her an OG Mav. My shop has the best tools of the group since I don’t wrench professionally anymore, plus I have a lift, and there’s a fridge that stays stocked, so this is damn near turning into a second job wrenching on all these different machines on the weekends and occasional evenings.

So what I’m getting at is, get your friends involved and have atv repair parties. It helps your soul when you get to tease them about spending their money on shit they broke instead of it all being yours.
I'm in that boat. I bought a quad, bought the girlfriend a quad. I bought an X3, gave her that one, and bought another one. She did a great thing though, she wanted to ride dirt bikes out here, and I hadn't been on one since I broke my ankle. She asked me if I would ride again, and I said maybe. The next day she came home and told me she bought me a new KTM, and bought herself an RM80. They've been fun in Glamis. When you crash, sand doesn't hurt like dirt, LOL!

·
Registered
101 Posts
That's the best cage out there in my opinion, most expensive but the best. Double A pillar adds some rigidity to the frame.

Something I think SS needs more of. Tim
I agree 100%. Just finished up my new Extreme Performance cage install last week. Love all the Extreme products.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,308 ·

Yes those are fun times and I do miss those. I had a buddy out in Oregon that had all the cool tools. He was also my neighbor as we had adjoining properties of his 12 acres, and my 11 acres. He had three shops separated into Wheel Dyno, CNC machine, and one with two car lifts. we made trails to each other house using excavators, and dozers to test our off road toys. He was really big time into racing, and one of the best engine builders around. His background was building small engines and he expanded from there. I was the one he always called over to go test his newest creations after he had already gave it a try. His builds usually consisted of a combination that was making at least 3X the original HP either with just engine build or engine swap along with engine build. The only things I never drove of his was his 208 MPH rail he built, and his 1000HP Mustang. The Mustang he only made 3 passes with at the drag strip after he changed it to an alcohol motor that made the 1000HP. It was scary uncontrollable fast with wheel stands at half track when it finally hooked the tires. He went to the rail after that and I bought his 1000HP motor putting it in my 72 Bronco. What a fun mud truck that was. Going back in time to when we both were in school he had a 67 California Special Mustang, and I had a 85 Mustang. He was the only other friend I knew that did the same as me working on our cars most night until 2-3AM in the morning on a school night getting it ready to play on the weekend street drag races. We came from a small Oregon town that had nothing much to do except hunt, fish, street race, and for the ones that had mechanical ability to work on your cars always tweaking to get that extra little something out of it. Our town was located 100 miles from any race tracks, and the Coos Bay dunes. My buddy would build it and have me test it because he knew I had that talent of finding a way to break something if it could be broke and he had the talent of building it so I couldn't break it or if I did he made it so. Those were definitely the good old days, and as you mentioned having a group of friends over to work on your toys and tell stories is a great thing to have.

Reactions: Sublimeshooter

·
Premium Member
14,140 Posts
Yes those are fun times and I do miss those. I had a buddy out in Oregon that had all the cool tools. He was also my neighbor as we had adjoining properties of his 12 acres, and my 11 acres. He had three shops separated into Wheel Dyno, CNC machine, and one with two car lifts. we made trails to each other house using excavators, and dozers to test our off road toys. He was really big time into racing, and one of the best engine builders around. His background was building small engines and he expanded from there. I was the one he always called over to go test his newest creations after he had already gave it a try. His builds usually consisted of a combination that was making at least 3X the original HP either with just engine build or engine swap along with engine build. The only things I never drove of his was his 208 MPH rail he built, and his 1000HP Mustang. The Mustang he only made 3 passes with at the drag strip after he changed it to an alcohol motor that made the 1000HP. It was scary uncontrollable fast with wheel stands at half track when it finally hooked the tires. He went to the rail after that and I bought his 1000HP motor putting it in my 72 Bronco. What a fun mud truck that was. Going back in time to when we both were in school he had a 67 California Special Mustang, and I had a 85 Mustang. He was the only other friend I knew that did the same as me working on our cars most night until 2-3AM in the morning on a school night getting it ready to play on the weekend street drag races. We came from a small Oregon town that had nothing much to do except hunt, fish, street race, and for the ones that had mechanical ability to work on your cars always tweaking to get that extra little something out of it. Our town was located 100 miles from any race tracks, and the Coos Bay dunes. My buddy would build it and have me test it because he knew I had that talent of finding a way to break something if it could be broke and he had the talent of building it so I couldn't break it or if I did he made it so. Those were definitely the good old days, and as you mentioned having a group of friends over to work on your toys and tell stories is a great thing to have.
You had a 72 Bronco? 72 - 76 are the years I'm always looking for, but they cost a mint for beat to shit ones! Pics? You still have it?

·
Registered
338 Posts

That sounds like the neighbor to have! See, look at you reminiscing.... You need that kinda thing back in your life.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,311 ·
You had a 72 Bronco? 72 - 76 are the years I'm always looking for, but they cost a mint for beat to shit ones! Pics? You still have it?
I sold everything when I left Oregon during the crash and started over in Las Vegas. Now it looks like I am going to sell everything again except the Can Am and probably buy a business in Utah. Here is a picture and video of my 72 Bronco I had. It was a blast to drive.

Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Sky
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Audio equipment
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

·
Premium Member
14,140 Posts
Reactions: SUPERSMITH

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,313 ·
Nice video / pics. I didn't know it was a "race / mud pit Bronco". Still want one, but way more street.
I was working on building it into a street, and Mud race. It was a challenge I was moving forward with. I had already bought the blower, but can't remember if it was an 871 or a 1471. I was running 17-1 compression on alcohol burning 5 gallons of fuel in 2 100ft passes with the 524 cubic turning 8400 RPM. Changing pistons down to 10-1 with a different cam along with a few more things like at least half water in the block instead of fully filled. My goal was to have 800HP when under driven, and 1500HP while over driven. My thoughts of racing is that it always needs to be able to run on the street.

·
Administrator
3,739 Posts
This is the annual PNW "Broncofest" held every August in our hometown for Gen 1 Broncos. It brings in active members from Canada to Cali for the 7-10 days. When they roll into town, it's quite the sight.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,315 ·
This is the annual PNW "Broncofest" held every August in our hometown for Gen 1 Broncos. It brings in active members from Canada to Cali for the 7-10 days. When they roll into town, it's quite the sight.

That would be an Awesome site to see.

Reactions: LBR

·
Premium Member
14,140 Posts

OMG, I've died and gone to Bronco Heaven!!!

Reactions: SUPERSMITH

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

I saw where a few will be traveling from Ohio and Oklahoma this next Aug..

Barbara

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
You’ll get the chance when you replace the frame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1301 - 1320 of 1439 Posts