Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1241 - 1260 of 1699 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,241 ·
Good news A Arms are getting shipped out tomorrow to me. Bad news I just got my Turner Axle to find out color is wrong. Turner is making me another one up ASAP to ship out.
Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle part Line

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,242 ·
Either had a little flex or just bad paint job. Scratched all the paint off and everything looks ok and don't see any crack or signs of stress.
Hood Wood Automotive tire Fender Vehicle door
Hand Leg Wood Knee Thigh
Wood Art Automotive lighting Room Paint
Hood Wood Finger Material property Knee

·
Premium Member
14,609 Posts
Reactions: Speed Buggy

·
Premium Member
2020 X3 X RS RR
782 Posts
Either had a little flex or just bad paint job. Scratched all the paint off and everything looks ok and don't see any crack or signs of stress.
The frame material DOESN'T flex much at all without cracking. That frame is likely compromised at that point. When the paint cracks, it's either already cracked or going to crack soon. I would weld that area up just to be safe.

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,245 ·
Hate to say it, but the frame is compromised. Definitely flexed around those welds. Watch that area very carefully.
I will keep an eye on it. Should I paint it or leave it exposed to watch?

·
Premium Member
14,609 Posts
I will keep an eye on it. Should I paint it or leave it exposed to watch?
Paint is going to do nothing. Your frame is compromised. Meaning you really need a new frame. I doubt your frame is 100% straight in those areas. If it were me, I'd get a new frame, or weld over those areas......and hope and pray.

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,247 ·
The frame material DOESN'T flex much at all without cracking. That frame is likely compromised at that point. When the paint cracks, it's either already cracked or going to crack soon. I would weld that area up just to be safe.
That area is right by the fuel tank. Not a good place to be welding unless I remove both fuel tanks. I will clean it up better and do a very close inspection.

·
Premium Member
2020 X3 X RS RR
782 Posts
That area is right by the fuel tank. Not a good place to be welding unless I remove both fuel tanks. I will clean it up better and do a very close inspection.
With good protection by packing stuff all around the tank, you can weld close to the tank.
I just installed an Extreme Performance cage on my car. You need to weld a mount for a B pillar on the tube under the dash. It's right next to the gas tank. I didn't burn my shit to the ground (y)

You really should weld that area all around the tube and gusset or it WILL brake especially with all that weight and YOUR driving style lol....

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,249 ·
With good protection by packing stuff all around the tank, you can weld close to the tank.
I just installed an Extreme Performance cage on my car. You need to weld a mount for a B pillar on the tube under the dash. It's right next to the gas tank. I didn't burn my shit to the ground (y)

You really should weld that area all around the tube and gusset or it WILL brake especially with all that weight and YOUR driving style lol....
I can't physically see any cracks or any stress points looking close up with a magnifying glass. I will take it to a frame shop when I get it all back together to see if they have any tests they can do.
Automotive tire Paint Grey Automotive design Art
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,250 ·
I just looked at a close up of picture when I got back from Moab after my A Arm snapped off when I put it on my lift. Paint didn't have any obvious chipping happening from any stress at that point in time.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts

That's the best cage out there in my opinion, most expensive but the best. Double A pillar adds some rigidity to the frame.

Something I think SS needs more of. Tim

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,252 ·
Spent 4 hours yesterday visiting all the bolt companies I could find in Vegas looking for one grade 10 M12 1.75X160 A Arm bolt. No one had one. Looked online and saw one on Ebay for $10. Decided to start calling all the suppliers I bout gussets from. For the Win Super ATV. I got the whole front gusset bolt kit that you can buy as an option for their Frame Stiffener that I had originally bought. Shipped price $27.04. Now I will have lots of extra bolts I hope I never need.

Reactions: Tmesic

·
Premium Member
9,100 Posts
Definitely cracked. The big heavy tires and portals put a lot of stress on the front clip. The front end is already known to be weak, S3 found this out when racing early on. I still cant believe you or any dealer would cake decorate an X3 to your extent and not even think of the car actually holding together with it’s KNOWN weak frame. Just shows you how uneducated the dealers are.

This is one of the many extra supports you needed BEFORE your frame has been bent out of shape.

Font Line Screenshot Parallel Technology

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,254 · (Edited)
Definitely cracked. The big heavy tires and portals put a lot of stress on the front clip. The front end is already known to be weak, S3 found this out when racing early on. I still cant believe you or any dealer would cake decorate an X3 to your extent and not even think of the car actually holding together with it’s KNOWN weak frame. Just shows you how uneducated the dealers are.

This is one of the many extra supports you needed BEFORE your frame has been bent out of shape.

View attachment 272780
I do have Super ATV 's frame stiffener added, but I agree more weld in structural support is always a good idea. S3 Weld in Chassis gusset is only in single cab. Can-Am Maverick X3All Models, MAX excluded

·
Premium Member
9,100 Posts
I do have Super ATV 's frame stiffener added, but I agree more weld in structural support is always a good idea. S3 Weld in Chassis gusset is only in single cab. Can-Am Maverick X3All Models, MAX excluded
Pssst, your lack of education is showing.

That kit fits and I have used multiple ones on two and four seaters.

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,256 ·
Pssst, your lack of education is showing.

That kit fits and I have used multiple ones on two and four seaters.
My Can Am is fully insured, and I am thinking if I do any welding to the frame and it breaks later it probably wouldn't be covered. I will talk with my insurance company about that, but I am thinking if it wants to break let it, and then I will have new custom frame with custom cage installed with me paying the additional cost above what insurance would cover.

·
Registered
10,699 Posts
Reactions: SUPERSMITH

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,258 ·
Time to bust out the welder and make some gussets for that area. It will only be a matter of time. Especially with the type of rocks you like to smash. LOL!
I need to check with my insurance company to see if welding on the frame to add more supports will void frame replacement coverage if it breaks after that. I am thinking they will say yes, and in that case I will let the stock frame decide if or when it wants to break. Future plans are to get custom Cage, and Frame, so what the stock frame will do I am not really worried about beside watching it very closely for any sign of cracks.

·
Registered
513 Posts
My Can Am is fully insured, and I am thinking if I do any welding to the frame and it breaks later it probably wouldn't be covered. I will talk with my insurance company about that, but I am thinking if it wants to break let it, and then I will have new custom frame with custom cage installed with me paying the additional cost above what insurance would cover.
If it were mine, I'd be tempted to let it go and see what happens. You have a plan for the worse case already anyway.

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts

Welding on the frame does not void your insurance.

Your insurance pays out on a covered claim.

With that said the general criteria for a covered claim is the event must be " direct, sudden and accidental".

So basically a wreck. Just a frame cracking from stress of wear and tear would not be covered regardless of welding or not.

In the event of a "wreck" or " accident" and the frame suffers damage that would likley be covered regardless of welding.

I'm not sure where you came up the welding could boid insurance. I feel you are confusing what insurance does with some sort of criteria of a warranty. Insurance and a warranty are quite different.

I suspect you have frame damage from an impact. Paint does not just peel like that at a joint if it did not flex.

You have added a significant amount of weight and stresses to the chassis and have done virtually nothing to counter those additions.

Tim

1241 - 1260 of 1699 Posts