Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1161 - 1180 of 1212 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,221 Posts
Since I use my car for the desert and the dunes, my spare and roof rack get removed for dune season

Tim

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,163 ·
You think I'm joking but a guy in our group bought a toy hauler and went home with it, then realized the garage portion was a foot to short for the X3.

Then, kid you not had it lengthened and bought a new house with an RV garage that was 2 feet too short ti fit the toy hauler!

Sometimes people cannot see the forest for the trees while they are trying to get things done.

Tim
I have seen a lot of things but not that. I can see how someone could easily do that with poor planning. It took me all day to get that AGM jack, whip mounts, and spare tire mount installed. The clearances of everything working came down to 1/4 inch. Shock reservoir was a big work around challenge. tire rack either too high and won't clear garage door, or to low and couldn't open cooler. I found a happy medium with a little angle on tire rack that just touches the roof. I still don't like where I had to mount the whips, and later will probably try to get a mount that will allow me to install them straight up off the roll cage instead of on the side. I had to put that spare on the rack 10 times to find a workable solution.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,167 ·
Here is a better picture of the AGM Jack secured between roll bars before spare tire mount was fully installed. I flipped it the other direction later because the stand was in the way of the radio antenna with the whip also on that side.

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
13,653 Posts
Here is a better picture of the AGM Jack secured between roll bars before spare tire mount was fully installed. I flipped it the other direction later because the stand was in the way of the radio antenna with the whip also on that side.

View attachment 272256
When your car is back together, seriously you have to weigh it!

Reactions: SUPERSMITH

·
Premium Member
13,653 Posts
My heart cringes for his chassis every time I read of another item being strapped to it. :cry:
My heart, nothing as I have been accused numerous times of not having one, LOL.

However my head keeps saying "WTF"?

·
Registered
712 Posts
but I need to get the lifting mounts installed as I didn't want to try and lift on the Nerf bars.
I may have missed something,,, but do you mean to tell me you built this thing to "bounce over large rocks" at "faster speeds than stock could handle" and you are actively "trying to find all failure points so they can be replaced" but you didn't put nerfs on it that you can jack from?

No it wont go out of garage with spare on
If you haven't already,,,,, Take that spare off the mount RIGHT F-ING NOW!! If you don't remove it now, and you get into your repair (telling yourself you will do it later),,,, you will get all chubbed up to take her for a shake down run and you'll need garage repair work as a new line on your Can Am itemized price list.

(ask me how I know this :whistle:)

·
Premium Member
8,221 Posts
I may have missed something,,, but do you mean to tell me you built this thing to "bounce over large rocks" at "faster speeds than stock could handle" and you are actively "trying to find all failure points so they can be replaced" but you didn't put nerfs on it that you can jack from?

If you haven't already,,,,, Take that spare off the mount RIGHT F-ING NOW!! If you don't remove it now, and you get into your repair (telling yourself you will do it later),,,, you will get all chubbed up to take her for a shake down run and you'll need garage repair work as a new line on your Can Am itemized price list.

Just like pulling your rig in the trailer at Glamis and needing new whips afterward!😂

Tim

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,176 ·

The original plan was to build it so I didn't have to jack it up when out riding, but you can see how well that worked out for me. I have been running it way harder to see what issues show up, and was really hoping none would. The suspension feels great going over large rocks. Probably too good, so I will need to slow it down. Actually for break downs the 1st one was Ball Joint bolt not tightened ( checking bolts for tightness before every ride will fix that). The second was Radius Rod bolt snapped (double shear will fix that along with slower speeds over large rocks). Third was snapped lower A Arm off, and snapped upper ball joint due to driver error (Improved driving mistakes will help out a lot). For the spare tire its coming off next time I work on it, and I also will be double checking spare tire stud height before I go out of the garage. For my nerf bars I have no idea how strong they are for lifting, and only know they did great keeping me off the rock wall that ripped the A Arm off.

Reactions: Hollywood X3

·
Premium Member
13,653 Posts
Just like pulling your rig in the trailer at Glamis and needing new whips afterward!😂

Tim
LMAO! If I had a nickel for every time I either saw it, or heard it. Followed very quickly by the loudest F**k or Shit!

·
Registered
712 Posts
The original plan was to build it so I didn't have to jack it up when out riding
I'm not a rock bouncer.... but I have friends that are. The FIRST thing they install is a set of nerfs they can park the entire weight of the car on, since they get used for that so often when maneuvering over said rocks.

Caught me by surprise you went a different route.

Then again yours is a very "different" build..;)

·
Premium Member
8,221 Posts
LMAO! If I had a nickel for every time I either saw it, or heard it. Followed very quickly by the loudest F**k or Shit!
Remeber Clay Forrester from GD.com. FRE Forrester Racing Engines ( sandzilla) on the forum?

He had a big sign over his trailer door that said " whips dumbass" 😂

Tim

1161 - 1180 of 1212 Posts