Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

261 - 280 of 424 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
Dude, I dig your drive for hp/tq and trying to stand out from the crowd. If I were to sink money into a turbo project which I have (1971 Dodge Dart) the numbers you posted above aren't anything to chase with a turbocharged vehicle. I had a F150 3.5ltr ecoboost that with an aftermarket tune did that and then some.
What I'm saying is, that canyon isn't a hot rod.
Your going to continually find the weakest parts in it as the 520tq plays havoc with clutches, drive line components and last but not least your motor if the tune isn't good.
I think you have the funds and connections to make something really sweet like a AWD pro touring twin turbo square body from latest 70's early 80's.
Guess what I'm trying to say is expand your vision and do something great.

Hell if your bored here is a photo dump of a pro touring 70 Dodge Dart build I was working on. As far as I am aware it's the only Dart with a Cuda hood. It was at least the first anyway.
I hear you. I just like to do things a little different then most would do with a 2.8 size motor. Its all in fun. :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
Is this a Twin Turbo setup or a Compound Turbo Setup.
Its a Compound twin turbo set up. Below is the Turbo Companies description.
"Compound twins, which is different from parallel twins. Twins=2 turbos in this case. I should have clarified. In the diesel world, compound twins are popular due to the responsiveness needed in the lower RPM range where these motors perform best, ideal for towing and/or more upper RPM performance without losing drive-ability. The smaller(stock) turbo pull starts the atmospheric(larger) turbo, once the atmospheric turbo lights, the smaller turbo then becomes the restriction and we have pressure in the charge pipe between the turbos. Typically, overall boost pressure is doubled without raising drive pressure(exhaust back pressure), this is where we gain power and lower EGT's. We also see longer engine life due to the lower EGT's and better mileage while under load(ie. towing)".

·
Premium Member
7,869 Posts
I have always wondered about those compound setups. As you build pressure between the two turbos, that is creating a lot of heat, then you turn around and compress it again to make the charge even hotter. I have not been able to convince myself that this is a good option, at least for a gas engine, maybe its different with diesels. I understand the concept of good response and power, but the intake temp has had me scratching my head for a while now.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 · (Edited)
I have always wondered about those compound setups. As you build pressure between the two turbos, that is creating a lot of heat, then you turn around and compress it again to make the charge even hotter. I have not been able to convince myself that this is a good option, at least for a gas engine, maybe its different with diesels. I understand the concept of good response and power, but the intake temp has had me scratching my head for a while now.
Seems to have great results on EGT heat on this set up.
They also tested the twin set up Towing 10K trailer to test the durability of the motor with the extra HP/Torque. This is what the manufacture said after they tested it.
"
SDP said:
We've got it running with twins! It pulls in the upper RPM's now and that is where it lacked before. Where EGT's were 1800* on a mild tune WOT, they're now down to 1175*. We're just on a mild EFI live tune currently. The truck runs extremely smooth and quiet compared to the setup with the stock turbo and exhaust. I'm sure we can dial in in a bit more with tuning".

·
Premium Member
7,869 Posts
Seems to have great results on EGT heat on this set up.
They also tested the twin set up Towing 10K trailer to test the durability of the motor with the extra HP/Torque. This is what the manufacture said after they tested it.
"
SDP said:
We've got it running with twins! It pulls in the upper RPM's now and that is where it lacked before. Where EGT's were 1800* on a mild tune WOT, they're now down to 1175*. We're just on a mild EFI live tune currently. The truck runs extremely smooth and quiet compared to the setup with the stock turbo and exhaust. I'm sure we can dial in in a bit more with tuning".
Yes I realized you said exhaust gas temp the first time, but that was not what i was referring to.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 · (Edited)
Yes I realized you said exhaust gas temp the first time, but that was not what i was referring to.
Ya i missed that. I dont even know if they tested the intake temp or if they care since it wont do any damage. Obviously cooler is better for performance/ fuel efficiency. EGT is always the main concern when making more power in the diesel. I will be injecting Hydrogen into the air system and really wont know how that will react until we see the dyno results.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ya i missed that. I dont even know if they tested the intake temp or if they care since it wont do any damage. Obviously cooler is better for performance/ fuel efficiency. EGT is always the main concern when making more power in the diesel. I will be injecting Hydrogen into the air system and really wont know how that will react until we see the dyno results.
charge temp should be a major concern when looking for power the cooler the air the more dense, the EGT temp is generally watched because of the turbo housings being aluminum or some alloy and having a lower melting point.

well that is my 3rd grade education understanding.

Whichever having a compound setup on anything is pretty cool, this last weekend I saw an X3 with a compound setup made by IBEXX.
Sounded pretty cool and was fast as heck.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
charge temp should be a major concern when looking for power the cooler the air the more dense, the EGT temp is generally watched because of the turbo housings being aluminum or some alloy and having a lower melting point.

well that is my 3rd grade education understanding.

Whichever having a compound setup on anything is pretty cool, this last weekend I saw an X3 with a compound setup made by IBEXX.
Sounded pretty cool and was fast as heck.
I agree cooler is better. I think gas motors get effected more then the diesels by design, but i dont know how much that is.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 · (Edited)
Brake Rotors, brake lines upgraded by Super ATV Installed. Definitely need an 18 inch rim to clear these rotors, and Super ATV Portals.
Can Am 60.jpg

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
Some good info about running portals. Looks like you might have some limitations and issues.

Definitely with the massive torque the portals put out if you run them like an idiot you will break something. I wont be breaking axles or front diff, but that leaves driveline and trans. I am not sure when that video was made, but the new Gen 3 Portals I was told from Super ATV have no issues with speed or heat. They do recommend oil changed every 2 days of heavy use.I have talked to a few people that run them hard and at full speed. They also dont change the oil that often, and have had no issues with the new Gen 3 Portals. All I know is time will tell me all the facts.

261 - 280 of 424 Posts