Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

221 - 240 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I'm getting better mileage Ca to Montana with a 20' x 8.5 and the x3 in my GMC 6.2... that doesn't seem right
The turbos are working when towing and that sucks the gas mileage. If my drive to Glamis and to riding areas was completely flat I am sure the mileage would improve. Also going between 55-60mph would improve the mileage. When I am not towing I average 19 mpg between city and freeway driving. All highway driving is around 20-21mph depending how fast I drive. I made sure to get the big fuel tank so I can tow farther distances without filling up. The 36 gallon tank is nice.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The turbos are working when towing and that sucks the gas mileage. If my drive to Glamis and to riding areas was completely flat I am sure the mileage would improve. Also going between 55-60mph would improve the mileage. When I am not towing I average 19 mpg between city and freeway driving. All highway driving is around 20-21mph depending how fast I drive. I made sure to get the big fuel tank so I can tow farther distances without filling up. The 36 gallon tank is nice.
I only get 21 with a tailwind doing 60. Lol I'm looking to get a big tank installed. Gm stock shorted tanks suck

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I only get 21 with a tailwind doing 60. Lol I'm looking to get a big tank installed. Gm stock shorted tanks suck
I won't get another truck without the bigger tank.

Reactions: RSX3

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #227

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #229 (Edited)
I get about 9 MPG towing my 40' toy hauler with my F250 4x4 diesel!
You need to install the propane injection to boost up your MPG. Stay with the small jet for the extra fuel MPG. I ran it on my 2000 F350 with the six speed manual. I put a very hard 150K miles on it with no motor issues, but that 2000-2002 7.3 was they strongest they every built. I was running the max propane you could drill the jet out to. 550HP with 1100 LB Torque. I was getting 17MPG towing on I5 with GVW at 20,000 and running 42 inch tires. I would also go through the 10LB propane tank within 1500 miles less if running it really hard. My propane was set up for MAX HP not for best MPG. The only issue i had with the power is it went thru my first 2 sets of tires within 10K miles. The Military 42 inch by 20 tire was the only one that would hold up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Hmmm I have not even heard of propane injection on a Diesel? I don't even know if the 6.7 is made to work with it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Hmmm I have not even heard of propane injection on a Diesel? I don't even know if the 6.7 is made to work with it.
Any Diesel will work with it as it injects into the airbox. I think mine was from ATS. I will do a search and see whats out there now as i did it in 2000. With the propane amount i was dumping in it was amazing and could go thru the gears as fast as I could shift it. When pulling a steep hill loaded if you needed to shift down i could flip the switch pull that same gear and then shift up to the next gear if i could make the corners at that speed. lol You wouldnt ever want to run the amount i was as everyone said it was not possible without blowing up the motor. They were wrong for my case, but probably not for most cases.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
There is kits out. but i dont know if it will work as well on the new smog engines as it did on mine. I probably should've researched the new engines before I brought it up as many are scared of it, so probably better just forget I brought it up. The amount of liquid propane I was running shouldn't have been possible. My EGT would stay the same climbing the hills without shifting down if i kept throttle at same setting, but I had so much more power i could run the EGT well beyond what it ever should be. I would only do that Briefly. I have a lot of stories I could tell about how fast i could pull a hill pulling GVW of 20K plus, but no one would ever believe it, so I won't.

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
Yes I have heard of people injecting propane into Diesel engines. Sort of acts like nitrous for them. I haven’t heard about people doing it on newer vehicles though like you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
My truck certainly does not lack power as in it's stock it is 400 HP and 850#s of torque. What it does lack is fuel efficiently. Based on my research on the 6.7 , it would take a lot of miles on the road to recoup the cost to gain a few MPG. There is the legality aspect of it to from the smog police lol.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My truck certainly does not lack power as in it's stock it is 400 HP and 850#s of torque. What it does lack is fuel efficiently. Based on my research on the 6.7 , it would take a lot of miles on the road to recoup the cost to gain a few MPG. There is the legality aspect of it to from the smog police lol.
I get the same pulling my tractor or raptor 5th wheel. 7.3l I can go up any mountain at 50mph. Don't have brakes to handle going down the other side any faster... its my work truck.

Have a 2021 GMC 3500 at /4 which just got built to match my wife's 1500 at/4. Both our old trucks had 300k and were both 2002s so, time to spend some $$ on trucks we got new

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
After 3 months my Assault tools finally show up.
That is worth the wait. I have that tool set up and it is very handy. You will still need to add some additional sockets. Need the socket that fits the axle nut and there was one other that slips my memory.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
That is worth the wait. I have that tool set up and it is very handy. You will still need to add some additional sockets. Need the socket that fits the axle nut and there was one other that slips my memory.
let me know when you remember the other one i need. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,356 Posts
30mm for the axle nut pretty sure. And I think it’s like a 22 for the primary but not positive on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,638 Posts
let me know when you remember the other one i need. Thanks
I was thinking it was the one that unbolts the portals.... 😅

Sorry couldnt resist!

That kit is a great one. Basically 90 percent of what you need for a trailside repair.

Tim

Reactions: SUPERSMITH
221 - 240 of 270 Posts