Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

201 - 220 of 432 Posts

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
These Mac's Wheel Net View attachment 266775 Ties downs are definitely nice quality. They custom made them for my tire size and arrived within one week from ordering. I am Very Impressed with their service. Now i just need rest of the parts to come in to finish the build.
I bought some a few months ago. Great product and worth the money.

Reactions: SUPERSMITH

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
You're not gonna open trailer it!??
For local rides i will use my open trailer. I will be looking for a closed trailer once i can measure the actual height and width of the Can Am. The calculations i have would make the Can Am 80 inches wide by 6.5ft tall.

·
Registered
214 Posts
For local rides i will use my open trailer. I will be looking for a closed trailer once i can measure the actual height and width of the Can Am. The calculations i have would make the Can Am 80 inches wide by 6.5ft tall.
Mine rubs the wheel wells of the enclosed trailer on both sides.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 · (Edited)
Mine rubs the wheel wells of the enclosed trailer on both sides.
What is the width of your Can Am? With a 8.5ft wide trailer I should have 84 inches between wheel wells. Its the height of more then 6.5ft that seems to be the issue I have, but could have one made a little taller. I am planning on getting a 8.5ft X 20ft with a 7ft tall door. I am also trying to set it up so i can use my little truck (Canyon 4X4 with the 2.8 Duramax motor) to tow with as i really dont want to use my Dodge 4X4 3500 Cummins that drinks fuel like its free. The other issue I might have will depend on how the trailer is balanced with Can Am loaded. My Canyon has hitch with scale so i will know if i am where i need to be. Trailer will weigh around 3200lbs plus Can Am/ supplies 2500lbs so would be an easy tow for the Canyon unless i can't get the weigh balance right then i will just bring out the big truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
Omg this just keeps getting better. You spent 100k on a retarded build and now want to pull it with a mini truck because your 1 ton is not fuel efficient. You are a special breed of “special”.
You are a "special" kind of funny, and I am sure its hard for even you to put up with yourself, Some day maybe 100K, but not at this point in time. My mini Duramax is more then capable of towing up to 8K easily while its getting 25MPG. No reason for me to bring out the Big truck to do a little job. This is a Max weight legal load, and before you pick on my single axle trailer its been set up to haul a lot more then what is on it. I also wouldn't haul this weight across the country with a single axle, but I will do short trips with it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
You are a "special" kind of funny, and I am sure its hard for even you to put up with yourself, Some day maybe 100K, but not at this point in time. My mini Duramax is more then capable of towing up to 8K easily while its getting 25MPG. No reason for me to bring out the Big truck to do a little job. This is a Max weight legal load, and before you pick on my single axle trailer its been set up to haul a lot more then what is on it. I also wouldn't haul this weight across the country with a single axle, but I will do short trips with it.
Okay, so you're alleging the canyon 4wd is rated at 8k AND GETS 25 MPG WHILE TOWING 8K? Come on! The specs I saw said 7600 lbs and the forum threads I read showed more like 13 to 16 for 5k and up.

That sure sounds like you fluffed that one a little.. or a lot...Tim

Reactions: DogRunner2

·
Premium Member
8,755 Posts
Okay, so you're alleging the canyon 4wd is rated at 8k AND GETS 25 MPG WHILE TOWING 8K? Come on! The specs I saw said 7600 lbs and the forum threads I read showed more like 13 to 16 for 5k and up.

Lol, the FLUFFER strikes again with sketchy information.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 · (Edited)

Okay exact towing spec is 7700lbs i rounded up to 8000lbs. It also tows up to 8000K easily as I said.. I am getting 25mpg with the GMC Canyon Denali 2.8 Duramax diesel towing in the area i live. My area is flat. I have no idea what MPG i would get towing across country since i have not done that. I am not claiming it will get 25 MPG towing across the country, but that it is getting 25 MPG for me and where i am towing. Although I can compare my Dodge 4X4 3500 Cummins towing same load as my GMC 4X4 Canyon 2.8 Duramax. Both towing same trailer weight around the flat area of Las Vegas, and mostly city speeds 25-50MPH.. Dodge Cummins gets 12 MPG empty or loaded where Canyon 2.8 Duramax is getting 25 MPG towing. If i want to race around loaded then that 25 MPG goes down a lot. Attached picture shows the combined towing, and very aggressive City driving MPG i am getting with the GMC Canyon Denali 2.8 Duramax diesel.(Note the hard Braking, and hard Acceleration was Not done during towing). I tow slow and safe, and actually get better MPG then driving aggressively without the trailer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
I'm still going to call you out. The 2wd is 7700 the 4wd is 7600 lbs. Accuracy matters.

I'm one a few truck sites and this fluffing is a common theme.

You should know the tow rating of your vehicle before go out and tow.

I also do not believe while towing 8k which is over the rating and clearly a no no you get 25 mpg.

The highway rating is 30 mpg and I know from towing for 33 years a truck is lucky to get half the mpg when towing a significant load. 8k is clearly over its rating so that would be significant. Like towing 25k with your real truck.

Tim

Attachments

Reactions: DogRunner2

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
Okay exact towing spec is 7700lbs i rounded up to 8000lbs. It also tows up to 8000K easily as I said.. I am getting 25mpg with the GMC Canyon Denali 2.8 Duramax diesel towing in the area i live. My area is flat. I have no idea what MPG i would get towing across country since i have not done that. I am not claiming it will get 25 MPG towing across the country, but that it is getting 25 MPG for me and where i am towing. Although I can compare my Dodge 4X4 3500 Cummins towing same load as my GMC 4X4 Canyon 2.8 Duramax. Both towing same trailer weight around the flat area of Las Vegas, and mostly city speeds 25-50MPH.. Dodge Cummins gets 12 MPG empty or loaded where Canyon 2.8 Duramax is getting 25 MPG towing. If i want to race around loaded then that 25 MPG goes down a lot. Attached picture shows the combined towing, and very aggressive City driving MPG i am getting with the GMC Canyon Denali 2.8 Duramax diesel.(Note the hard Braking, and hard Acceleration was Not done during towing). I tow slow and safe, and actually get better MPG then driving aggressively without the trailer.
I suppose your Canyon would be fine for short trips around town, but when the wind hits that little truck with an enclosed trailer it will get pushed around. Your X3 on a flatbed trailer with the Canyon should be no issue. Gas mileage wise I do not see how you are getting over 20mpg towing 5,000lbs. I guess it is possible if you are only going a few miles.

Some some diesel truck owners claim 17mpg towing a 40' toyhauler loaded to the gills, so I guess the Canyon can do better. LOL!!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm stock 2020 Rr on bfg 32" tires. 8.5 x 20 trailer. Might have a couple inches to spare total. I'd bet with portals and 37" tires your going to have to take them off to put in the trailer. My brother had a GMC Canyon diesel for a year. He pulls a little single axle camping trailer. Averaged 14 mpg from Salt Lake to Washington State. I aveaged 15mpg in my 2002 F350 with 3/4 cord of wood, full coolers, inflatable raft pulling a casita. He sold it after 2 years and got a new f 150 ecoboost. Now he's getting 19 towing his little trailer.

I tow this w my 2020 AT 4. It gets about 13mpg but, I drive fast

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
I'm stock 2020 Rr on bfg 32" tires. 8.5 x 20 trailer. Might have a couple inches to spare total. I'd bet with portals and 37" tires your going to have to take them off to put in the trailer. My brother had a GMC Canyon diesel for a year. He pulls a little single axle camping trailer. Averaged 14 mpg from Salt Lake to Washington State. I aveaged 15mpg in my 2002 F350 with 3/4 cord of wood, full coolers, inflatable raft pulling a casita. He sold it after 2 years and got a new f 150 ecoboost. Now he's getting 19 towing his little trailer.

My F150 Ecoboost get 10-13mpg towing my X3 on my 8.5 x 18 flatbed trailer. I might see 15ish if I drove 55-60mph.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
I'm still going to call you out. The 2wd is 7700 the 4wd is 7600 lbs. Accuracy matters.

I'm one a few truck sites and this fluffing is a common theme.

You should know the tow rating of your vehicle before go out and tow.

I also do not believe while towing 8k which is over the rating and clearly a no no you get 25 mpg.

The highway rating is 30 mpg and I know from towing for 33 years a truck is lucky to get half the mpg when towing a significant load. 8k is clearly over its rating so that would be significant. Like towing 25k with your real truck.

Tim
Tim you are correct if i was towing across the country with hills and higher speeds, but that is not what i am doing. Flat ground with no hills doesn't require a big motor or much energy to tow as you would also know. For my truck and the flat area i tow in i do get the great MPG towing. Towing with the 2.8 Duramax around town like i do the RPM's never go above 2000 RPM's and that is why i do get the great MPG towing. For the Dodge it doesn't care it just drinks the fuel.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·

Is your trailer a Toy Hauler or a cargo? Those hills out there in Washington, and Oregon on I5 are long and steep definitely Big Diesel towing power would be best and my little 2.8 would not be the right fit or get good MPG.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
I suppose your Canyon would be fine for short trips around town, but when the wind hits that little truck with an enclosed trailer it will get pushed around. Your X3 on a flatbed trailer with the Canyon should be no issue. Gas mileage wise I do not see how you are getting over 20mpg towing 5,000lbs. I guess it is possible if you are only going a few miles.

Some some diesel truck owners claim 17mpg towing a 40' toyhauler loaded to the gills, so I guess the Canyon can do better. LOL!!!
I do agree with the wind danger factor of towing a box down the road with a light small truck. The key to my MPG is obviously low rpm and flat ground where the little motor doesn't work hard at all. I didn't know I was going to get into a debate over my MPG or I would've been more clear on the type of towing I am doing, and why i am getting great MPG. I simply just enjoy driving the Canyon over driving my Dodge that's all I was originally trying to say. I drive the Dodge a couple times a month to tow my big heavy trailer and its Great for that.

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
I do agree with the wind danger factor of towing a box down the road with a light small truck. The key to my MPG is obviously low rpm and flat ground where the little motor doesn't work hard at all. I didn't know I was going to get into a debate over my MPG or I would've been more clear on the type of towing I am doing, and why i am getting great MPG. I simply just enjoy driving the Canyon over driving my Dodge that's all I was originally trying to say. I drive the Dodge a couple times a month to tow my big heavy trailer and its Great for that.
No debate. I get you are not towing it very far and basically on the long city streets.

Reactions: SUPERSMITH

·
Registered
9,869 Posts
You have the 3.5 HO?
Yep. This is my 3rd F150 with the Ecoboost. The motor with the 10 speed transmission is really nice and this is my favorite combo so far.

Reactions: GloverXRS
201 - 220 of 432 Posts