Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
2061 - 2080 of 2135 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,580 Posts
Well, giving constructive criticism when I can, stop adding stuff and learn to read the terrain. IMO, looks like you got spooked when you saw the guy in front of you slide to the left. So you decided to go right. Except there was a ledge / drop off a blind man could have seen. That was a bad choice.

Playing follow the leader in any situation gives you (anybody) a chance to access the line. The leader usually picks the best line, and the followers can follow or deviate slightly. Going far off the intended line usually doesn't end well......

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,064 ·
Well, giving constructive criticism when I can, stop adding stuff and learn to read the terrain. IMO, looks like you got spooked when you saw the guy in front of you slide to the left. So you decided to go right. Except there was a ledge / drop off a blind man could have seen. That was a bad choice.

Playing follow the leader in any situation gives you (anybody) a chance to access the line. The leader usually picks the best line, and the followers can follow or deviate slightly. Going far off the intended line usually doesn't end well......
I actually just thought it looked like an easy climb with nothing to worry about and I was wrong. Lesson learned never think something is just easy with no concerns needed.

Reactions: Hollywood X3

·
Premium Member
15,580 Posts
I actually just thought it looked like an easy climb with nothing to worry about and I was wrong. Lesson learned never think something is just easy with no concerns needed.
Yeah, I'm not giving you a hard time. Watching the video, I noticed the ledge, saw the guy in front of you slip, and I said to myself, don't go to the right.....

But hey, no harm, no foul. You're out there having fun, that's the bottom line!

Reactions: BLR and SUPERSMITH

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
3,249 Posts
Well you are right about cameras never pick up how bad things actually are wether that was a bad spot or not you hit there. Add up to 40% more severity to what you see on your screen.

I'm pretty sure we've all seen a car on camera tip over, and then it rolls and rolls 8 times on what looks like a very mild slope. But isn't so mild in person.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,068 ·
Here is the video of when the Caliber punched a 2-3 inch hole in my wheel. I knew there was something wrong before it happened, but just couldn't figure it out. I was convinced the issue was even coming from the opposite side and probably in the Portal from previous Moab damage.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Black

Reactions: SuperATV

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,069 ·
Glad you are getting it out there, your learning curve is going to be steep with that setup!
Yes I agree with that. Mistakes are going to happen learning how this Can Am is going to react.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,071 ·
I agree with Tim, have you considered adding more weight lower in the car?
Removing the stereo roof would be the only thing I could do if I run into a common top heavy issue occurring with several flop overs.

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,073 ·
At least you are not top heavy enough to dump 4 or 5 machines at once like the SxSblog guys lol. They have some serious work to do.

View attachment 280070
Ya that would suck. It also looks like they didn't secure some of them very good, but I am sure there not thinking about that at this point in time. lol

·
Premium Member
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,074 ·
For those that enjoy the sand here is a video for you of some of the higher speed sand driving I was able to do while in Sand Hollow.

·
Premium Member
8,404 Posts
The

There’s a reason why a lot of crawlers try to keep their machines as low as possible lol. This build hasn’t followed conventional thinking from the start.

The relatively narrow width to height ratio seems off.

I think the IFS and IRS likley are not as conducive to keeping the wheels down.

A straight axle with a plunging drivesahaft like we call a " fence post" driveshaft can allow for some serious flex.

There's a reason guys myself included did straight axle swaps on IFS trucks.

I think the SXS has some potential as a rock crawler and SS car is turning out nice but I suspect the machine will never be a real crawler like a mid wheel base straight axle truck.

The driver seems to be the biggest limiting factor right now, so we will see as he gains experience.

Tim

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Been sitting back and watching this build since the beginning.

From what I see, is someone with money trying to build the ultimate rock crawler, without ever driving the car/machine to see what the car/machine would do in stock form.

I commend SS for the build, however learning the basics of driving is a must.

Barbara

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
3,249 Posts
Ya that would suck. It also looks like they didn't secure some of them very good, but I am sure there not thinking about that at this point in time. lol
I actually thought they did a pretty good job tying them down haha. Trailer ripped out of the hitch. Tore the whole entire box side off of the truck lol. They have video up on YouTube. The YXZ took it hard! Lots of damage all around.

·
Premium Member
15,580 Posts
Been sitting back and watching this build since the beginning.

From what I see, is someone with money trying to build the ultimate rock crawler, without ever driving the car/machine to see what the car/machine would do in stock form.

I commend SS for the build, however learning the basics of driving is a must.

Barbara

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
We've all been there, and we all learn as we go, LOL. Nobody is "Cole Trickle"! I think SS will gain the knowledge and have a great time.

Reactions: SUPERSMITH
2061 - 2080 of 2135 Posts