Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
I’m pretty sure that a gonna be a lot more cost effective than the autoquip we’ve been waiting for a quote on. I wish I had the space for a 2 post lift, lol, I’m tired of rolling around in the creeper and sitting on concrete.
I have a two post and I can tell you it's the best money I've ever spent. It's saved thousands on labor I'd have paid someone else, plus it makes everything easier and more comfortable to work on. The only down side is all your buddies are going to come use it and your tools and that CASE 18 pack of beer they brought as payment gets drank while you work on their stuff.

I had to turn a few truss's into a stick roof to get mine to fit, but then used the lift posts and ran a beam across so the roof is probably stronger now than it was. I'm going to add to the "Buy once, cry once" we've been throwing around and add "If there's a will, there's a way"!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Stop using my Buy Once Cry Once line, LOL! How high and how wide is a 2 post? I've thought about that numerous times, but I don't know if I have the width, pretty sure I have the height. It's bolted in somehow correct? Drill in cement? Did you have it done? And biggest question, ballpark price. Thanks!
But it's fun when it's getting someone else to spend the money! :ROFLMAO:. I installed it myself, and it took about a day. I highly recommend going Asymetrical - it's way easier to get in and out of your vehicle without slamming a door on the lift posts. Having a skid steer or loader tractor makes everything about installing it easier, it'd be worth renting one for a day if you don't have access. The posts are anchored to the floor, so yes, you'll be drilling a dozen or so holes and then installing those pound in anchors. Here's the current model of one very similar to mine (mines roughly 10 years old now and I think is rated for 10.5). This will lift a Long bed, crew cab Diesel pickup if you balance it right.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
541 Posts
My Can Am is fully insured, and I am thinking if I do any welding to the frame and it breaks later it probably wouldn't be covered. I will talk with my insurance company about that, but I am thinking if it wants to break let it, and then I will have new custom frame with custom cage installed with me paying the additional cost above what insurance would cover.
If it were mine, I'd be tempted to let it go and see what happens. You have a plan for the worse case already anyway.

·
Registered
541 Posts
"Something" is wrong with these pics. Yeah, I can see the sleeves are cracked / broken, but I also see wear marks on them. IMO, they shouldn't be there? When I changed out my bushings on both cars, my sleeves didn't have a mark on them. Looks like something was too tight or binding? Possibly going back to the ball joint issue?
Those wear marks were visually evident on my factory sleeves at 1,600 miles and the bushings were all still tight. I was replacing arms so I went with new SATV ones. At 2,800 miles, the SATV bushings/sleeves were movement loose on a couple of them. The bushings themselves looked good, but the sleeves must be soft and wallowed out in addition to the wear marks you see on SS's only worse. I'm a grease your bushings guy,. They never went more than 150 miles without grease.

My 2 S3 A Arms arrived yesterday. I started switching over the ball joints, bushing & sleeves today when I noticed all the Sleeves were cracking on all the A Arms. Look like they are made out of weak cast materials. Looks like I am done for today until I can find and order up a lot better upgrade to those weak cast sleeve
CT Raceworx mentioned in a thread they think the Stock sleeve's are GTG.
I think the SATV sleeves are less than desirable for reasons stated above.
I just installed a set of SandCraft bushings and sleeve's which look very promising.

·
Registered
541 Posts
My stock sleeves with just 125 miles on them. Yours looks in better shape.
View attachment 272912
I picked two random ones. I think I got the worst of the OEM and the best of the SATV.

For yours, The cracking makes me wonder about over torquing much like what’s easy to do with the rear spindle bushings. The other wear doesn’t strike me as overly alarming, especially if you’re a dry guy.

·
Registered
541 Posts
My sleeves came out with some grease still on them, so I am guessing the dealer installed the new arms with some grease on the sleeves.
Well… it doesn’t matter anymore anyway. LOL

No one can say you aren’t a good sport about this. Idk if it’s you’re too far invested to stop or it’s simply the drive to get it bomb proof but I admire your dedication to the project especially now that you’re doing the work.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I should have done all the work myself from the start. I just didn't think I had the time to do it and didn't want the build to drag on a year. Well its almost been a year. lol These are really easy to work on and I actually enjoy working on them as a hobby, but never as a day job.

TL;DR. — Hobbies become joblike but with beer.
Be careful, this hobby turns into life. Here’s my shortish story….I joined CanAm life in late 19 but was riding Rzr and four wheelers for years before that. Sometime in 19 I talked my dad into going on a trip with me and he quickly got hooked and was the first to get an X3. I liked his well enough I bought its twin and sold my buddy the RZR. My buddy got his dad interested so he bought a KRX which my buddy liked so he got rid of my old RZR and bought a twin to his dads. Fast forward a little bit and the girl is tired of being a passenger so we get her an OG Mav. My shop has the best tools of the group since I don’t wrench professionally anymore, plus I have a lift, and there’s a fridge that stays stocked, so this is damn near turning into a second job wrenching on all these different machines on the weekends and occasional evenings.

So what I’m getting at is, get your friends involved and have atv repair parties. It helps your soul when you get to tease them about spending their money on shit they broke instead of it all being yours.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yes those are fun times and I do miss those. I had a buddy out in Oregon that had all the cool tools. He was also my neighbor as we had adjoining properties of his 12 acres, and my 11 acres. He had three shops separated into Wheel Dyno, CNC machine, and one with two car lifts. we made trails to each other house using excavators, and dozers to test our off road toys. He was really big time into racing, and one of the best engine builders around. His background was building small engines and he expanded from there. I was the one he always called over to go test his newest creations after he had already gave it a try. His builds usually consisted of a combination that was making at least 3X the original HP either with just engine build or engine swap along with engine build. The only things I never drove of his was his 208 MPH rail he built, and his 1000HP Mustang. The Mustang he only made 3 passes with at the drag strip after he changed it to an alcohol motor that made the 1000HP. It was scary uncontrollable fast with wheel stands at half track when it finally hooked the tires. He went to the rail after that and I bought his 1000HP motor putting it in my 72 Bronco. What a fun mud truck that was. Going back in time to when we both were in school he had a 67 California Special Mustang, and I had a 85 Mustang. He was the only other friend I knew that did the same as me working on our cars most night until 2-3AM in the morning on a school night getting it ready to play on the weekend street drag races. We came from a small Oregon town that had nothing much to do except hunt, fish, street race, and for the ones that had mechanical ability to work on your cars always tweaking to get that extra little something out of it. Our town was located 100 miles from any race tracks, and the Coos Bay dunes. My buddy would build it and have me test it because he knew I had that talent of finding a way to break something if it could be broke and he had the talent of building it so I couldn't break it or if I did he made it so. Those were definitely the good old days, and as you mentioned having a group of friends over to work on your toys and tell stories is a great thing to have.

That sounds like the neighbor to have! See, look at you reminiscing.... You need that kinda thing back in your life.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I did learn some good information from the experienced rock climbers like filling the front tires 1/4 with water and that I needed to drop my air pressure lower then I was running to 5psi. I also will need to adjust my suspension making it a lot softer to flex over the rocks with less tip. Before I need to add water to my front tires I will have to grow some bigger balls to do some of those rock climbs I am a long ways away from being ready to do that. My Can Am will need to be dialed in 100% as there is no room for any error in what they were climbing some of the time. I am taking baby steps right now and still working on finding all the weak links to get improved the best they can. Then I will need to gain a ton of experience before I would ever feel safe trying what those guys did that day.
I thought you west coast guys filled them up all the way? Why water? Even out there I figured washer fluid would be the go to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts