Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
I'm not understanding how you say you are not upgrading the cage because you know your limits.

What does that have to do with not upgrading the cage?

Tim

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
If you were really serious about this build you would upgrade the cage.

But like you said prior it's nice to have a weak link and your cage is it, unfortunately....

Tim

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
Yes Tim i agree the cage could use an upgrade. If i end up damaging it then that also means i did something stupid beyond my capability. I dont plan on taking that kind of risk,but could happen..
Famous last words....

I am glad to hear you day that though. The last few guys in here who rolled clearly stated they intended to do something stupid so it would roll. Glad you're not going to let that happen.

Let me know how that works out for you.

Tim

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
This is what all the other negative comments really mean. All you guys shitting on this guys build are just jealous he can and you can’t. Get over yourselves and his build. Just because you didn’t doesn’t mean he shouldn’t. If he doesn’t want to take your advice so what, his buggy, his $$. The jealous AHoles can go pound sand
Who says we can't? You? Do you know my or any of the guys resources ? Have you see the rigs we run or the toys we have?

The answer is a big FAWKING NO!

The guy came in here and showed the build, when you do that expect to get criticized by folks.

By his own admission he is new to this. By the looks of the build he didn't do his due diligence and that WILL get pointed out.

So I suspect because you dont have this money in your build you ASSume no one else has.

Here's the real story, several of us in here have builds with as much or MORE in parts. The big cost factor here is he is paying a DEALER $125.00 an hour. Take that out and he has no more than numerous people on this forum and in this thread.

With that said maybe he should take some of the free advice and save himself some headache and money!

Tim

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
Covid pricing on that sandcar. More like a $75K car.
I don't agree. Cars are selling more and more, and that has an albins. A new albins IF you could get one is 38k.

I bet he gets in the 90k range for that car.

Tim

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
Why will he be eating crow? Because you and your sand pounders say so? I love how he is doing it wrong but all you other guys did or do it right. Get over yourselves for Fawk sake.
You all offered your advice so move on. If he wants to do this build what does it matter to you or anyone else? This forum has gotten stale with all the know it alls that have been here for so long. If someone doesn’t do a build the way these guys see fit they shit on it. If you ask a question that has been addressed previously they shit on you. Lots of good info on here for sure, but a lot of dicks as well.

I am looking forward to seeing your finished product and how you like it. Those wheels are sick, may buy those for my mud tires I have ordered.

I also have my buggy fully insured with an additional $20k for parts. Wife thinks it’s about $1200 for the year.
I want to thank you for making me laugh first thing in the morning!

You've been on here 8 months and in that 8 months its gotten stale....?

Another interesting point is that you've never really contributed much but you have an expectation of gathering information and how it does not meet with your approval. Fortunately for the collective your opinion carries no weight.

Now for the reading comprehension....it has been CLEALRY conveyed that the vast majority of us have made mistakes and learned from them and are trying to disseminate that information.

Now be honest...do portals sound like a good idea on a DESERT CAR?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that's one of the worst options for a desert car.

If you look at two of the guys in this thread MG and Mega both have two of the best built cars on here. By TRIAL AND ERROR!

I wish I could say I'm sad to see you move on but you haven't contributed so we won't be missing anything....
So have fun on Facebook, it's much more suited to a guy like you!

Bye Felicia!

And last but not least.....

SAND POUNDERS RULE!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
The build i am doing is exactly what i need for what i am going to do. I am Not going to go out and play in the sand box. I do live in the desert so Yes i will go thru the desert to play in the rocks. Yes most of the time i will be traveling on trails to reach the Rocky areas, but when i get there i will need the Hight, and the extra strong components. I have no desire to be out high speed jumping where portals definitely would be the wrong idea to have. I respect your type of playing and what works best for that, and you should respect how i plan to play and what is best for me.
I'm curious how you know what you need when you've never ran the car stock?

How could you possible know the short comings when taking advice clearly is not in your nature so the only thing left is purely personal experienc. You seem to be lacking SXS experience. You have have not even ran the new car.

Tim

Reactions: BLR and DogRunner2

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
You are a "special" kind of funny, and I am sure its hard for even you to put up with yourself, Some day maybe 100K, but not at this point in time. My mini Duramax is more then capable of towing up to 8K easily while its getting 25MPG. No reason for me to bring out the Big truck to do a little job. This is a Max weight legal load, and before you pick on my single axle trailer its been set up to haul a lot more then what is on it. I also wouldn't haul this weight across the country with a single axle, but I will do short trips with it.
Okay, so you're alleging the canyon 4wd is rated at 8k AND GETS 25 MPG WHILE TOWING 8K? Come on! The specs I saw said 7600 lbs and the forum threads I read showed more like 13 to 16 for 5k and up.

That sure sounds like you fluffed that one a little.. or a lot...Tim

Reactions: DogRunner2

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
I'm still going to call you out. The 2wd is 7700 the 4wd is 7600 lbs. Accuracy matters.

I'm one a few truck sites and this fluffing is a common theme.

You should know the tow rating of your vehicle before go out and tow.

I also do not believe while towing 8k which is over the rating and clearly a no no you get 25 mpg.

The highway rating is 30 mpg and I know from towing for 33 years a truck is lucky to get half the mpg when towing a significant load. 8k is clearly over its rating so that would be significant. Like towing 25k with your real truck.

Tim

Attachments

Reactions: DogRunner2

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
let me know when you remember the other one i need. Thanks
I was thinking it was the one that unbolts the portals.... 😅

Sorry couldnt resist!

That kit is a great one. Basically 90 percent of what you need for a trailside repair.

Tim

Reactions: SUPERSMITH

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
Imagine the forces on that front end driving through the desert at 50mph. Bye bye front end and hello death trap.
Based in what Justin said I can surmise that even rock crawling it will have some pretty heavy loads on it from just climbing, bashing rocks as you fall off the back side of the rocks etc.

Like Justin said they have their place in the mud.

He stated they could possibly be used in the desert or crawling but you need to eliminate the negatives first. Wheel scrub, cooling etc.
Maybe I missed it but I was also curious about the shock loads with so much more increased unsprung weight. That has to be something that needs addressed.

The same issue applies for the forces when you have so much more unsprung weight, larger tires and wheels plus the weight of the portal itself. The inertia has to be increased as well.

Tim

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
That would work for the width, but I think my height of around 80.5 inches will be an issue.
Both my large enclosed have a door opening of 75 inches. I think the interior is just over 80 inches.

I just had my roof rack lowered to help me fit and even though we got to 75 inches I can clear the door because the rack is further to the front of the rear tires and the ramp door angle allows the car to clear the door.

At 80 inches you need something like a custom or something to fit. Tim
Tim

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
I definitely will need something custom if I plan to load it with my 37 inch tires on. It would be nice to not have to swap tires to load. My flat bed trailer won't take too much work as all I need to do is widen it 2 inches out to the stake pockets on each side for a total of 4 inches.
I just picked up a new flat bed. A 32ft x 8.5 gooseneck.
I can pretty much haul anyting on it.

My enclosed trailers will not fit my sand car unless I swap tires and I get tired of that quickly. I get wanting to use a flatbed for ease of loading etc.

Tim

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
Do you put a cover on it while transporting? I was thinking about having a custom heavy canvas cover made, but dont know if I can make it tight enough to stop the flapping that creates wear points on the Can Am.
I do not. Every cover I've seen is just so weak it would not survive anyway. The enclosed for me is more for security so the open trailer I just lock it up and never concerned about covering it.

Tim

Reactions: SUPERSMITH

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
I feel pretty confident that trailer will sway.

You're almost certainly going to have to back that on.

I still do not understand why you want to tow that rig on that single axle trailer. 🤷‍♂️

You spared no expense on the build now get an appropriate trailer.

It reminds my of someone living in a shack driving a new Cadillac.😂

Tim

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
If you're in a group or not, you can always listen to music.
He said "IF" because his buddies told him they're not being seen riding with a guy who has portals and a stereo. 😂

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Tim

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
Crazy.... You started this build like 5 months ago and still haven't got to use it. You need to finish this Ginger breadhouse. View attachment 269984
You're on today, LOL!
Well he is going to be the Rudolph the red nosed reindeer of SXS's!

So they will shun him until night time and with all those high dollar lights he put on they'll be saying , " Wild build with your lights so bright won't you lead our ride tonight"

Tim

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
They just came available while I was there, and they were nice enough to let me know they had something that my Can Am was missing. :)
Did they mention you were missing a real roll cage...?🤷‍♂️😉

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
I have, that's why I have epowersteering now. The rzr steering is FAR superior to the x3 steering. It's not even close
You're making the comparison of RZR and 17 that had poor powers steering.

My XRC has great power steering and I'm under the impression the 2021 has even better.

I have not owned a RZR 1000 but have driven quite a few. I cannot say the steering is better let alone not even close.

Tim

Reactions: mgrotel

·
Premium Member
8,269 Posts
I have driven several of each, never once was I in a rzr and I had any feedback in the steering wheel, not one. At least half the x3s had feedback. Not to mention the rzr was 1 finger turning and none of the x3s were. Steering is something that canam needs to take notes from polaris, and by no means am I an sort of polaris nutswinger. Maybe its got to do with design or the fact that polaris actually uses a full size battery, I dont know, but polaris steering is head and shoulders above canam. My thoughts.
I respect your opinion, you don't just talk the talk you wrench on your rigs yourself.

Tim

1 - 20 of 65 Posts