Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't notice until I started owning this X3, that a lot of people switch the stock tires out for All Terrains. Why?

Is it for more comfort driving on-road? Are All Terrains better offroad than the stock tires that come on the X3?

Even the KRX1000 we rented in St George had All Terrains and we took it to the dunes. Which tires would be better in the dunes?

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
The stock Big Horns work well in the dunes. If that is your primary place of riding stick with the Big Horns or get a paddle tire set up. If you do a lot of desert and trail riding the Big Horns are more puncture prone and going to a 32" tire would be much better.

·
Premium Member
8,797 Posts
Because we can and love to modify.
The bighorns are on 14” wheels and those wheels are more prone to capture rocks and ruin a wheel
And caliper. But the bighorns works really well in the sand for a dirt tire due to the thin sidewalls. Which thin ain’t so good in the rocks when you slide into one

·
Registered
'19 X3 Max RS
31 Posts
We had a few reasons for our switch. The terrain we ride in is pretty much all desert with lots of rocky bits. We were shredding the stock bighorns and we hardly ride in sand. We also wanted to go bigger for a bit more ground clearance and the stock 14" wheels don't leave as many options as the 15". We switched to the Tensor DSR 33 and they work fairly well in what little sand we ride in. Certainly not a paddle but better suited for what we do.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The stock Big Horns work well in the dunes. If that is your primary place of riding stick with the Big Horns or get a paddle tire set up. If you do a lot of desert and trail riding the Big Horns are more puncture prone and going to a 32" tire would be much better.
Right now, its mostly trails with 50% rocky and 50% sandy.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Right now, its mostly trails with 50% rocky and 50% sandy.
I would move up to a 15" wheel and a 32" tire. You have Max and the extra ground clearance with a 32" tire is a good thing. You can run your Big Horns until you wear them out or put a hole in them or sell them now.

Reactions: Tmesic

·
Registered
92 Posts
We had a few reasons for our switch. The terrain we ride in is pretty much all desert with lots of rocky bits. We were shredding the stock bighorns and we hardly ride in sand.
Yeah, this. Just riding somewhat rocky hardpack in mountain trails, the stock bighorns on mine wore a LOT faster than I thought they would. Also, they're a decentish all-around tire, but I don't know if they really excel in many areas, do people looking to max their performance in one type of terrain will look at more specialized tires.

Also, some folks make their machines street-legal, which generally requires DOT-certified tires.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Did a dessert trail state line trip that was 110 miles each way with 80 other sxs. out of all the blown tires at least 90% of them where stock bighorns. I have the bfg ko3's and are untouched.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That will work but you do have an XRS. You're basically lacing up Chuck Taylor's on Usain Bolt
Yeah basically.

I figure that some of the dunes I will go to don't need paddles like Sand Hollow and Coral Pink in Utah. Glamis would be good to run paddles but I don't see a point of buying paddles for only Glamis.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I ran my big horns over 3,000 miles. Just keep the tire pressure at 17 to 20 psi... depending on the try of rocks in your area. In my area we have lava rock. Around 3400 miles I had 2 punctures so new tires were ordered. I adjust my shocks to get a great ride. For the dunes I ran 7 to 8 psi and never had a issue.

·
Registered
2020 x3 rs rr
31 Posts
My biggest thing is the different tire sizes... I run dunes a little but mostly up in the mountains on technical jeep trails and rocks. Flatsare a real concern.

also, I did puncture one stock bighorn and couldn't find any in stock anywhere... Ended up buying a take off set with wheels from a dealer cause that was my only choice.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I run 15” mud all terrain truck tires on my X3 for durability. I destroy soft ATV/SXS tires and would have a puncture several times a year. With 15” truck tires it’s been 10,000+ miles and 4 yrs since a flat

I got tired of worrying about tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 19 of 19 Posts