Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen quite a few dyno results now from various places indicating the Maverick is generating aound 70 plus HP to the wheels in stock form. Can-Am claims 101 HP, obviously at the crank. Can someone explain how something can lose 30 HP threw the drivetrain? That's around 30%!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Yep, 30% is the norm. Cars typically lose 15% through their driveline. These machines are belt drive, and lose more. It takes a lot of power to make the belt transmission work, which is why the belt gets hot.

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
It's just the drive line soaking up power. Some of the Ultra4 cars are loosing 45% power by the time it gets from the flywheel to the ground.

Your loses will be seen in the clutching, gearbox, rear end, wheels and tires and rotating mass of everything. Throwing oil and friction can take away some power.

·
Registered
292 Posts
There's alot of different reasons for it. Transmission, clutches, gearing,etc. Basically the easier it is for the engine to turn the wheels the less hp lost at the wheels.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So if the Maverick is losing 30 HP through the drive, how do these lower powered UTV's (my friend has a 500cc UTV rated at 24 HP) even move. Is the % loss a constant?

In other words, would the 500cc UTV lose 30% also? Resulting in about 17 HP to the ground (only losing 7HP)? If all things were equal - tires, axles, differentails, clutches, etc, why does the higher powered machine lose more?

·
Registered
292 Posts
So if the Maverick is losing 30 HP through the drive, how do these lower powered UTV's (my friend has a 500cc UTV rated at 24 HP) even move. Is the % loss a constant?

In other words, would the 500cc UTV lose 30% also? Resulting in about 17 HP to the ground (only losing 7HP)? If all things were equal - tires, axles, differentails, clutches, etc, why does the higher powered machine lose more?
I would guess that it takes a certain amount of hp to turn the drivetrain, so the more hp you have the less % you lose at the wheels.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's starting to make more sense now... Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
I cant wait to see one with a turbo kit. I saw an XP with a turbo over Easter and that thing was really quick, cant imagine the Mav with it. Wheelies for days!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I think your question points out what a good clutch setup can do for you. It takes time to get it right but what a difference!. It will be interesting to see how somebody like MCX will do a turbo without having to tear the motor down to rebuild it, where you would even mount the turbo and keep the cost below 7 grand.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'd LOVE a Maverick with a standard 5 speed and clutch. I am not a CVT fan at all. Never have been, never will be....

Reactions: icsmd

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'd LOVE a Maverick with a standard 5 speed and clutch. I am not a CVT fan at all. Never have been, never will be....
A maverick with a cvt would blow the doors off of a maverick with a 5 speed and a clutch.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I say this because each time u shift a manual tranny u have to bring the engine back up to peak HP rpm. Which on the mav is damn near at rev limiter. Which means as soon as you hit it you would have to shift gears and bring it back up again till u reach 5th gear. With a cvt and a correctly dialed in clutch u stay in that rpm range constantly without having to drop the rpms down from shifting. But yea I do agree it would be fun to mess around with one that had a manual tranny. Wheelies for days !!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts