Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It puzzles me why no other company is making a 50 inch SxS besides Polaris. In a recent dealer publication Polaris stated that the 50 inch platform is 50% of their side by side production. That means if you take all the rangers, XPs, RZR S and combine them they only equal 50 inch production. If this is such a huge market for Polaris why does no other company go after it? Spending time and money to go after the 50 inch market would seem to be the best way to make a profit.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yeah but they're not as cool as the wide longtravel models :big smile:
I dunno, maybe they will, be kinda hard to have that much wheel travel on a 50" model though

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't know but agree it seems stupid to leave so much on the table maybe they are worried it will eat into atv sales

·
Registered
7 Posts
Useless in my area without a 50" version. And looking at how wide the cockpit is, there is no way there making a narrow one on that platform. Have fun in the desert and on the dirt roads. At least I'm not ready to shoot myself for buying a RZR.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just a guess, but it may have something to do with engine placement, ergonomics, and center of gravity. Popo is the only one with the engine completely behind the seats and I think that design is patented, everyone else sits on top and the sides of the engines making them all wider than 50" or too tall to make it that narrow. There is a big market for it and someone else should get it figured out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
the desing is not patented the wild cat has a rear engine and there have been rear engine offroad vehicles ever since someone took a sawzall to a VW bug. but agreed with the frame being the same as comander with the engine inbetween the seats there is no way to make it any narrower. Sad they didn't take the time to resdign and copy Polaris and make a 50" trail version and then give guys some bigger fender flares and wider suspension if they want it. sure seems like there is more of a market for a 50" trail machine than the 4 seater coming out next summer.

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
you know that is something left on teh plate for canam in the future, however as stated above, there current platforms would be nearly impossible to narrow to 50 inch. so that means another platform dedicated to >50.
changing of engine location,etc.

i have read 2 articles recently that states what you all said. the >50 market is 40-50% of sales until 2011. at that time they have seen decline in under 50 sales by 3% in 11 and 5 % in 12 to date. in oem surveys they saw a decline in what you really want in a side by side opinions by 18%, comapred to two years earlier. a lot of trails have expanded to make 50 trails wider, and nearly all new trails and build for all sxs. so the thought is that >50 is losing steady ground in teh big picture. now im not disagree with you that love 50 inchers. i feel for you, just like in stand up jet skis, there all but gone with just one oem left making them, and at that you must be a pro racer to even buy those, all that changed in teh last 1-2 years.. sad but true. so they may sit back and see what happens over the next 2-3 years first from a buisness point.

·
Registered
16 Posts
while 50" maybe loosing ground in slaes think of all the new sxs that have come out and all the the 50" crowd has to choose from is a buzzy 800 or a sportish 570 polaris so its no wonder as the wider sxs have improved and the 50" have stayed the same they have lost sales. I jsut wish Can AM had done a resdisgn chasis for the maverick instead of making it a long travel comander with a new peppy engine that I'm sure will find it way into the comander soon anyways.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Seems the >50 is for the youth
I don't see adults comfortable in a machine that has a >50 width
And it's not as stable

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have read 2 articles recently that states what you all said. the 50" market is 50% of sales until 2011. at that time they have seen decline in 50" sales by 3% in 11 and 5 % in 12 to date. in oem surveys they saw a decline in what you really want in a side by side opinions by 18%, comapred to two years earlier. a lot of trails have expanded to make 50 trails wider, and nearly all new trails and build for all sxs. so the thought is that >50 is losing steady ground in teh big picture. now im not disagree with you that love 50 inchers. i feel for you, just like in stand up jet skis, there all but gone with just one oem left making them, and at that you must be a pro racer to even buy those, all that changed in teh last 1-2 years.. sad but true. so they may sit back and see what happens over the next 2-3 years first from a buisness point.
So 42% of all UTV sales are 50" & PoPo ownes a 100% share in those sales......... Looks like their is $$ to be made there....

·
Registered
537 Posts
Due to popularity of UTVs in michigan off road atv trails will be widened to 65" according to info released recently.Its about time for most trails to be groomed anyway.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Polaris started with the 50" and literally grew from there. They have done very little to the 50" except the new 570, but I think thats because they are going to the Prostar engines for all models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Us Forest service has stated they will stay at 50 inches for most trails. Out west most of the forest are national and not state run. The 50 inch trail is here to stay out west.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Seems the >50 is for the youth
I don't see adults comfortable in a machine that has a >50 width
And it's not as stable
I am 280#, 6'8" tall and I fit just fine in an 800 RZR. Same cannot be said for the Maverick or Commander, thanks to their stupid console. There just isn't any room for my long legs.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I am 280#, 6'8" tall and I fit just fine in an 800 RZR. Same cannot be said for the Maverick or Commander, thanks to their stupid console. There just isn't any room for my long legs.
How is that possible?
I'm only 6'1" & 245 lbs and my knees hit the dash in the Rzr's.
I feel like I'm in a sardine can.

·
Registered
292 Posts
How is that possible?
I'm only 6'1" & 245 lbs and my knees hit the dash in the Rzr's.
I feel like I'm in a sardine can.
I'm the same size and I was thinking the same thing. I like to broke my knee riding with my buddy in his 900xp not to mention when I get out of a RZR I have to roll out on the ground and then stand up.

·
Registered
461 Posts
He's got the rzr4. takes the drivers seat out and drives from the back seat

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 30 Posts