Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve said many times I don’t know a lot about this fun hobby. I’ve seen hundreds of videos of people off roading and rock climbing and it seems like most of the time when they flip over, it’s the lightweight front that goes over.

So why is the engine in the rear? I’ve owned 911s and I like rear engine design, though I think mid engine such as a Cayman is probably better handling.

Ty.

·
Premium Member
11,844 Posts
Start with, there would be way too much weight, and the car wouldn't handle.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
the old mavericks were mid engine
and the driver was literally sitting in the engine bay
it was a horrible design
the rear engine is far superior to front for duneing
so its a compromise design for comfort
if you need a mid engine just buy a atv

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The biggest advantage of the mid engine Commander was the traction in 4 wheel drive. That's of course you swapped out the Criscolok with a QE, However it stopped there lol.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Appreciate the education. Always do. One above says much better handling for dunes. Just curious as to if there has ever been a “study” of the percentage of people who use these in the dunes as opposed to trail riding as opposed to rock crawling.

And I’m not at all advocating in any way, just wondering would a front engine be better for rock crawling? Or perhaps ballast in the form of weights you see on tractors in front to stop it from flipping back.

Though I must say, some channels seem to thrive on rolling over. Draws views.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You fellas are being way to kind to someone who is comparing an off road UTV to a frickin Porsche?? Very surprised at the mellow replies in this thread ?.... thought “mega” would have jumped in early and put this guy on the run..... maybe COVID has people embracing their soft/more sensitive side??!! ..... carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
You fellas are being way to kind to someone who is comparing an off road UTV to a frickin Porsche?? Very surprised at the mellow replies in this thread ?.... thought “mega” would have jumped in early and put this guy on the run..... maybe COVID has people embracing their soft/more sensitive side??!! ..... carry on.

Porsche figured the same thing out starting with the Beetle circa 1939 via Volks (Peoples) Wagon (Car) in 1932......

Efficiency, look at why the first buggy's were cut down and fabricated from them. Low center of gravity, not heavy over the front nose, better steering and better traction in the rear.

I had one when I was 14 ('73) where the pan was cut in half cage built around with metal fab body using ag, cut "terra tires" and the parking brake cables to levers turned into steering brakes. I had a blast in it and could go about anywhere. Still have those wheels and tires in the back of my shop as memorabilia. Got a picture somewhere I need to dig out.

I won't mentioned who was behind the whole marketing and manufacturing program.....:(:rolleyes::cry: Surprised they aren't banned within today's "cancel culture".

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
1,015 Posts

Your 4th post in almost 10 years is you are grieved by people being to kind? And want new users to be put on the run haha?

Ok lol...

·
Premium Member
8,753 Posts

dammed if I do and dammed if I don’t. Hey, I can’t keep up with all the nonsense threads on here lately. And there have been a lot of stupid effing comments lately.
This topic about front engine, has me scratching my head also. We all buy the X3 because it’s the fastest best suspension travel sxs. Then some all hundreds of pounds of garbage extras and their fat life partners to them and cry they have clutch and suspension issues. With a front engine the whole layout of the car would change to jam a motor upfront or between the seats.

in past sxs the center motor was hot, noisy and made the seats elevated like a Polaris school bus.

the Polaris rzr800 came out in 08 with a rear engine and that started the trend of rear engine cars. Then the artic cat wildcat dropped the seats further and added a wide trailing arm-ism suspension. Around that time Canam was still stuck in utility mode with the center motor Cowmander. Wasn’t till 13’ they stepped into a 100cc v twin wanna be sport crossover turd Maverick. Omg what a pos that car was!!! Then in 17 the X3 was born and it for the most part has gone unchanged for 5 years so far.

if a 5 year run doesn’t show you the rear engine just works well for all of us then you don’t have enough seat time and are trying to reinvent the wheel.

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Turbo RR
151 Posts
Porsche figured the same thing out starting with the Beetle circa 1939 via Volks (Peoples) Wagon (Car) in 1932......

Efficiency, look at why the first buggy's were cut down and fabricated from them. Low center of gravity, not heavy over the front nose, better steering and better traction in the rear.

I had one when I was 14 ('73) where the pan was cut in half cage built around with metal fab body using ag, cut "terra tires" and the parking brake cables to levers turned into steering brakes. I had a blast in it and could go about anywhere. Still have those wheels and tires in the back of my shop as memorabilia. Got a picture somewhere I need to dig out.

I won't mentioned who was behind the whole marketing and manufacturing program.....:(:rolleyes::cry: Surprised they aren't banned within today's "cancel culture".
Thanks, I forgot what those ag tires were called. It was the best we could get back then and those little 40HP VW's would go almost anywhere with those tires. And you could sometimes even get to 4th gear on a downhill section. We were stylin' back in the day.

Fast forward to 2021 and we now have four-wheel drive, 195HP, and 24" of travel and you don't have to cruise the junkyard for an old VW to cut up and build into a buggy. Now you buy your buggy from the motorcycle shop. We've come a long way baby...

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Thanks, I forgot what those ag tires were called. It was the best we could get back then and those little 40HP VW's would go almost anywhere with those tires. And you could sometimes even get to 4th gear on a downhill section. We were stylin' back in the day.

Fast forward to 2021 and we now have four-wheel drive, 195HP, and 24" of travel and you don't have to cruise the junkyard for an old VW to cut up and build into a buggy. Now you buy your buggy from the motorcycle shop. We've come a long way baby...
The Meyers Manx was the closest thing!
Meyers Manx.0jpg.jpg
Meyers Manx.jpg
Meyers Manx1.jpg

·
Registered
94 Posts
The X3 nose dives too much as it is, imagine if it had the engine in the front?
Porsche GT3's(911's in general) are balanced perfect and rear traction is gained for having that engine hanging out at the back. Porsche engineers did a wonderful job getting front end grip by adding weight with all of the coolers up front and adding downforce. Really can't compare anything between a Porsche and an X3 except for them actually performing better at 8to10 10ths rather than 4to6 10ths, faster you go the better they work.

·
Premium Member
8,753 Posts
The X3 nose dives too much as it is, imagine if it had the engine in the front?
Porsche GT3's(911's in general) are balanced perfect and rear traction is gained for having that engine hanging out at the back. Porsche engineers did a wonderful job getting front end grip by adding weight with all of the coolers up front and adding downforce. Really can't compare anything between a Porsche and an X3 except for them actually performing better at 8to10 10ths rather than 4to6 10ths, faster you go the better they work.
nose dives? Are you hitting lips with no ramp? Anything with nose dive if the ramp is too short.

you must have one of those talent limitations.

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
1,015 Posts
nose dives? Are you hitting lips with no ramp? Anything with nose dive if the ramp is too short.

Makes for endless hours of entertainment on YouTube fail videos though. There is basically only 3 types of wrecks lol.

Jumps, donuts, and heavy throttle up steep inclines. Over and over and over...

·
Registered
94 Posts

LOL, no, not me, but we hear about it all the time because at many riding places that people go(especially here on the east coast), there are those short lipped quad or dirt bike type jumps and its nose dive city for the X3. Last year when the pandemic first shut things down, I moved 330 tons of dirt to my farm and made a proper sxs track with long faced jumps.

·
Premium Member
8,753 Posts
LOL, no, not me, but we hear about it all the time because at many riding places that people go(especially here on the east coast), there are those short lipped quad or dirt bike type jumps and its nose dive city for the X3. Last year when the pandemic first shut things down, I moved 330 tons of dirt to my farm and made a proper sxs track with long faced jumps.
mans we will se more of it this year again since the east is just waking up from their winter nap.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts