Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only used my toy hauler a few times now and I've tied the X3 down three different ways. I don't have access to the bottom side of the toy hauler and the X3 is a tight fit. I think I've settled on running the straps underneath the X3 in opposing directions in a criss-cross pattern (if that makes any sense). I'm tying off the RF A-arm to the LR tiedown, the RR radius rod to the LF tiedown and so forth. I drove about 180 miles on my last trip with no issues. It's doesn't provide much down force, but it kept it centered. I know toy haulers and X3s vary in size and layout. But, I'm curious how everyone else tie theirs down?

20190426_181521_resized.jpg 20190503_151452_resized.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,871 Posts
I have the same issue and actually scratched the heck out of my lino trying to secure it. It seems the anchors are in poor spots to tie it down easy. Tim

·
Registered
130 Posts
Criss crossing will hold it from moving front to back. But it does not keep it from tipping. Do you have room for tire nets? I use Mac’s.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Criss crossing will hold it from moving front to back. But it does not keep it from tipping. Do you have room for tire nets? I use Mac’s.
I agree it won't hold worth a damn if it tips. I don't have a good place to tie down a tire net. But, I figure if it goes over far enough to tip, that's the least of my worries.

tie downs? I don't use any, just put car in park and shut the door. Never moves in my 36' Weekend warrior.
I had that same thought. Then my wife told me what would happen if that X3 slid into her stainless steel oven. So, I tied her down. The X3, not my wife.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the same issue and actually scratched the heck out of my lino trying to secure it. It seems the anchors are in poor spots to tie it down easy. Tim
Did you figure it out?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I agree it won't hold worth a damn if it tips. I don't have a good place to tie down a tire net. But, I figure if it goes over far enough to tip, that's the least of my worries.

I had that same thought. Then my wife told me what would happen if that X3 slid into her stainless steel oven. So, I tied her down. The X3, not my wife.
I tied my wife down by the stainless steel oven and we are not allowed in Home Depot anymore.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I think the way your doing it is fine cross tying it is best be it from the front and back or in the center like your doing.....
Finding a good tie point is tough sometimes I'm not a fan of using the lower a arm's but to each there own when I installed the XRC front bumper and ZRP rear plate with the tow ring tying down the X3 is no prob don't have to deal with short straps around the frame on all 4 corners anymore!

Tire nets or strapping the tires...... What happens if you get a flat or flats happened in the race hauler once the tire bleeder's orings failed with the rubber softener in the tires strapped it down it was fine got back to the shop the front and back of the car was destroyed from rolling back and forth about 5 feet in the trailer because the straps feel off? I guess that's karma for cheating we set some track records and won some races and no one ever knew we had softer tires those were the days lol

Park or neutral? debatable pro's and con's each way.... I tie the X3 down in neutral then pop it in park just incase a strap breaks or loosens up? I learned the hard way towing a manual trans car in gear loaded my off road car once ran fine went to unload it ran like crap I could not figure it out had spark fuel turns out rocking back and fourth in gear loosens the timing belt tensioner on a twin cam Subaru motor with no oil pressure it skipped a tooth took awhile to find that issue!

However you tie a car down or in some cases the lack of tying a car down..... Hey as long as you are comfortable with it the main thing is for it to arrive at your destination in one piece without damaging anything around it or anything falling off the trailer. :smile:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
I seen a toy Hauler while ip in Laughlin, guy had wheel chocks attacked to E tracks & tire net straps. Said they were secured to the trailers frame / cross bracing.
An issue I'll take seriously once I get an enclosed trailer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I don't trust the "D" rings that come supplied in Toy Haulers. I don't know how they attach them to the floor in newer models however in my 2004 Wolfpack they were just screwed into the plywood and pulled out. I installed "E" track that I have not had any issue with . They are also screwed to the plywood however the many screws spread the load over a much larger area than the "D" rings and hold fine.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't trust the "D" rings that come supplied in Toy Haulers. I don't know how they attach them to the floor in newer models however in my 2004 Wolfpack they were just screwed into the plywood and pulled out. I installed "E" track that I have not had any issue with . They are also screwed to the plywood however the many screws spread the load over a much larger area than the "D" rings and hold fine.
I don't trust them either. I'm certain my wife would be opposed to E-tracks up front. But, I could install a couple at the rear of the trailer where they'll be covered up by the sleeper/sofa once we're unloaded. Of course if the D-rings pull out, I may have no choice.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have even less room than you do. I don’t use anything and don’t think I could if I had to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've contacted the dealer I bought mine from, to get 4 of the ratchet straps that Can-Am uses to ship these in the crates. They usually they just cut the straps when they un-crate at the dealer, and chuck 'em. Their gonna save me four of them for me to pick up. Hopefully they line-up closely to the D-rings in the hauler.

·
Registered
86 Posts
E-tracks with chocks for them and then straps over the tire. Have some wheel nets but haven't messed with them much yet to see if i can get them to work properly, not macs.
View attachment 235965
I like that setup. Mine has 9 of these and I still haven’t found a way to tie the X3 down that I really like yet. They are welded to the frame but it’s hard to get hooks into them. C25F22C6-4AB9-47BF-9268-854418F22009.jpeg

·
Premium Member
6,871 Posts
I like that setup. Mine has 9 of these and I still haven’t found a way to tie the X3 down that I really like yet. They are welded to the frame but it’s hard to get hooks into them. View attachment 236001
I would think you need to use a soft tie in those and leave it on there to hook to. Tim

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would think you need to use a soft tie in those and leave it on there to hook to. Tim
Yep, that’s what II’ve been doing but the little added length forced me to change the tie points on the buggy but it works. I bought some 1 1/2” straps with “double J hooks” that will go into the floor but I haven’t tried them yet. Mostly trying to figure out a way that is quick/easy and still secure.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Yep, that’s what II’ve been doing but the little added length forced me to change the tie points on the buggy but it works. I bought some 1 1/2” straps with “double J hooks” that will go into the floor but I haven’t tried them yet. Mostly trying to figure out a way that is quick/easy and still secure.
You could use chain quick links.

Reactions: AZSteele
1 - 20 of 47 Posts