Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent a few days up in Oregon running 26" 8 paddle skats and dialing in my clutch. I've got it pretty close but was limited due to a weight removal issue. Anyways just wanted to compare your set-ups to what I'm running. Weights, rpms & top speed. Both Adam @ QSC & Kris @ Coldblooded have given me excellent support, I was just limited to what I could do due to being on the dunes & having limited resources.. So, what are you running?

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
Do you want to know what others are running not in the dunes for reference sake or strictly sand guys.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure, what are running? I use my maverick everywhere. In all types of terrain, altitude & run different tire sizes so all the info I can gather is always a plus. They tried to get my clutch set-up in a happy medium area but when at the dunes at sea level running my 26" skats, my rpms & top speed were not ideal. I also run 30" mongrels up in the mountains and out in the desert - I made several adjustments and got it pretty close for the paddles, no idea how it will perform with the 30's. I just got back home so now I can try & get one of the seized weights out and get it dialed in. My set-up is going to be a little more complicated to get it dialed in than most I think, just looking for all the info I can get my hands on. Thanks

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I had my QSC/STM set up by [email protected] I told him what tire size I run and the style and terrain I ride. I honestly don't know what he used to set it up and I don't see myself changing it unless absolutely necessary. I also haven't been able to take my car riding yet, so I can't be any help to you.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had my QSC/STM set up by [email protected] I told him what tire size I run and the style and terrain I ride. I honestly don't know what he used to set it up and I don't see myself changing it unless absolutely necessary. I also haven't been able to take my car riding yet, so I can't be any help to you.
I did the same as you & had Kris set it up. I know my set up might be a little more complicated with all the different variables we run our machine but just looking for some other input from the guys whom have ran this set-up in the dunes. My Mav pulls hard both on the street & in the sand, but there is more on the table and I want to use it all especially in the sand. I've got it pretty close just trying to get it perfect.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yeah but perfect will be a moving target since you change tires. Mine was set up for the stock BH's and I will not change when I run paddles. My rear paddle will be the STU blaster 70/30 cut on the stock rim. So the tire will be a little lighter weight so it will spin better but then the sand slows it down. I will not be changing my clutch for the sand for recreation riding.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I realize its not going to be exactly perfect for both set-ups. Spoke w/Adam @ QSC and he thinks my different tire combos I'm running will need close to the same clutching set-up. It's just a matter of getting it dialed in as good as possible for both. I wasn't reaching peak rpm nor the top speed I think I should be hitting. My paddles are pretty light and mongrels are fairly heavy so I can see the clutching being close. IMO, I think each of the dune riders will have to fine tune their clutch because every machine is different, the sand is even different, along with tire combos, air psi, altitude and so on. I've had to add weight in the opposite direction that even the experts say goes against everything they have learned. Don't get me wrong the clutch has made it into a whole different animal, I guess I'm the first one to get one of these set-ups out in the dunes on this forum since no one else has chimed in.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Most of us south west guys are in our off season so not a lot of dune riding now.

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
30" bighorns, no engine mods

Primary - Unsure of this right now because we're still tuning with the different secondary weight, guesses are 1/4 button crosses, 3/8 in base and mid with a 1/4 tip but Im not sure.
Secondary - 45/36 custom helix on a gen2 with gold spring

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
When your racing you definately need to be this specific about dialing in your clutch. For receational use, close is good enough for me.

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
The problem I was having was it was dropping rpm under heavy load like hill climbs and mud at speed over 35mph and I couldn't remove any more weight out of the arms. This is the third helix Ill be running and Kris came up with this based off the results of the other two that I ran. With the stiffer secondary spring ill be able to put a lot of weight back in the arms and get it dialed in where it should be. Close is okay but when you spend the money it should be perfect and it takes a little time and effort to get it right. If I was on smaller tires I wouldn't have any of these problems but the 30s like to make life a little difficult at times.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I agree the tire changing makes it's more of a challenge for sure. Buy hey it's still better than stock!!!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The problem I was having was it was dropping rpm under heavy load like hill climbs and mud at speed over 35mph and I couldn't remove any more weight out of the arms. This is the third helix Ill be running and Kris came up with this based off the results of the other two that I ran. With the stiffer secondary spring ill be able to put a lot of weight back in the arms and get it dialed in where it should be. Close is okay but when you spend the money it should be perfect and it takes a little time and effort to get it right. If I was on smaller tires I wouldn't have any of these problems but the 30s like to make life a little difficult at times.
Interesting, is your secondary spring gold or yellow? Mine is yellow with a 40 helix. I've had to add substancial weight to the tip. My cross & base are the same as yours, middle is a 3/8. Tip started out as a 1/4ss now I'm up to a 1/4sh. I was only pulling 7400-7500 rpm & stayed the same no matter what weight pattern I ran until I added to the tip, now I'm a little high at 8000rpm. One of the middle weights was seized, so as soon as I get a moment I'll pull it down & try to remove it. Adam suggested that I go up 2 more sizes there as well. My other concern was I lost a little top speed, more than I was expecting. I haven't ran my 30" mongrels yet to see how it will run.

·
Vendor
6,220 Posts
Gold spring. Sometimes they put lock tight on the set screws. I ran a 50/40 and a straight 40 before this customer one so hopefully this will solve my issues. I also had a primary spring fatigue that caused some issues as well.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My weight issue unfortunately isn't due to locktite, I can get about a 1/8 turn either way & thats it. Allen head is rounding. Threads are damaged probably from the coating thats on them. No biggy, shit happens. Hopefully the custom Helix gets you dialed. I have a little more work to be done before mine is right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts