Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed mirrors, a license plate light and a horn. Oh and a backup camera.
I think with that I should be ready?

Hopefully they don't weigh the vehicle. Else the stereo system and my new 32" tires might put me over that approx 1800 Lb limit I heard about to get in on the discounted 80/20 rule?

I plan on adding turn signals if I get it licensed for the street as well so I do not have to use my hand signals.
But I can use them to go get registered if I need to.

So what is the deal?
I heard that Bell and 59th Ave was the place to go?
DO I trailer this to them for inspection?

Oh. As of now I have the plate with the OHV sticker.

·
Premium Member
12,611 Posts
Both of my X3s are street legal. I have what you have but I don't have a back up camera in either one. Turn signals aren't a requirement, but I did get a Baja Designs rear bar that have the turn signals in it. Yes, when they ask you for the intended purpose, tell them 80% off-road, 20% on road. You might need to show proof of insurance too. I just go to my local DMV. It might be tricky with the MAX, they have weight calculations, tires really don't play into it. You are probably over 1800 alone with just the car. Might get $$$$$!!!!!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The MAX off the showroom is over 1800 lbs. MVD knows this. Most (all) have to pay car registration $$$ because of that.
Even if you get it done through a third party and it slips through, it may (will) get kicked back by MVD with a $$$ bill.
I think the registration costs 3-500 per year. Sorry to burst your bubble. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
12,611 Posts
The MAX off the showroom is over 1800 lbs. MVD knows this. Most (all) have to pay car registration $$$ because of that.
Even if you get it done through a third party and it slips through, it may (will) get kicked back by MVD with a $$$ bill.
I think the registration costs 3-500 per year. Sorry to burst your bubble. Good luck.
So glad the 2 seat X3 is $35!

·
Premium Member
X3 XRS R Triple Black
1,528 Posts
The key is to say you drive off road mainly 75 % 25 % on road

·
Premium Member
12,611 Posts
Both of my X3s are street legal. I have what you have but I don't have a back up camera in either one. Turn signals aren't a requirement, but I did get a Baja Designs rear bar that have the turn signals in it. Yes, when they ask you for the intended purpose, tell them 80% off-road, 20% on road. You might need to show proof of insurance too. I just go to my local DMV. It might be tricky with the MAX, they have weight calculations, tires really don't play into it. You are probably over 1800 alone with just the car. Might get $$$$$!!!!!
The key is to say you drive off road mainly 75 % 25 % on road
Like I did here?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is awesome.
And I did already buy insurance while I was up at Happy Jack (jumped on the Geico app while my family was in the store).
Also my Maverick is not the MAX.
I think I read that it is just under 1800 Lbs which was just under the limit.
If they weighed it I was worried because of the added gear.

Where did you go to get your registered?

·
Premium Member
8,846 Posts
That is awesome.
And I did already buy insurance while I was up at Happy Jack (jumped on the Geico app while my family was in the store).
Also my Maverick is not the MAX.
I think I read that it is just under 1800 Lbs which was just under the limit.
If they weighed it I was worried because of the added gear.

Where did you go to get your registered?
If you have a 4 seater then you have a MAX, and they are OVER 1800lbs.

·
Premium Member
X3 XRS R Triple Black
1,528 Posts
Im my case here in Parker they didn’t need to see it either, mostly because the dealer verified the vin and weght all I had to tell they was It was mostly off road partly on road show proof of insurance off we went back to dealer with the new plate and drove home

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I thought the MAX was the wider one?
Or does it just mean the 4 seat?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im my case here in Parker they didn’t need to see it either, mostly because the dealer verified the vin and weght all I had to tell they was It was mostly off road partly on road show proof of insurance off we went back to dealer with the new plate and drove home
Is yours a 4 seater?

·
Premium Member
X3 XRS R Triple Black
1,528 Posts
I’m a two seater I don’t remember what the weight was then don’t include any of the add ons but if you are a four seater your close DS or RS maybe run it over a scale

·
Premium Member
12,611 Posts
You're not going to get around the weight. Once you give them the VIN, that's all they need. Then they'll tell you what the registration will cost.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're not going to get around the weight. Once you give them the VIN, that's all they need. Then they'll tell you what the registration will cost.
From what several sites said such as Ride Now and some others, the DS I have was like 1730 Lb and the RS was well over 1800
I dunno what the RS has but it adds a few Lbs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts