Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Finally got my Max and from what I have read one of the first orders of business is replacing the tie rods. I was wondering if I replace the weak link with beefier tie rods will this transfer the load to the rack and make it fail? How many of you guys that have been running aftermarket tie rods find that you have damaged other stuff or (hopefully) it works just find and only removed the weak link in the steering?

Thanks!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Racks are the next (very) wink link in the steering chain.. we in desert racing, blow through the racks basically every race...we are working on a solution- but its for racers- or hard core riders- Alex Reed can elaborate on possible solutions.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I am just a weekend warrior and have added the Holz racing front tie-rods. No problems yet with tie-rods or steering rack

·
Registered
310 Posts
AReed can give allot more info. But I'm 700+ miles into mine with all but 50 of them on CT Alex Reed tie rods and have no issues at all. Stock tie rods are total garbage! I woods ride the hell out of my rig.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have CT Tie Rods, glazed off a tree continued on in the race and when I got home could not believe how bad my rack was. Tore it all to pieces, could not even get the bolts out of the rack, I mean broke 3 pieces of castings off, but believe it or not, rack plate and tie rods still straight. So question of the month?????? Where do you want the weak point to be? So spent $350.00 to replace rack, nothing better at the time. Or do you want to replace tie rods and take a chance in one breaking and then flipping over. At this point its a no brainer, $350.00 is better then flying out of control with one wheel in the wrong direction and flipping. (My point of view.)

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I've got after take tie rods and as we speak my rack . It only turns 1 1/2 turns to the left, 1/2 turn to the right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I have CT Tie Rods, glazed off a tree continued on in the race and when I got home could not believe how bad my rack was. Tore it all to pieces, could not even get the bolts out of the rack, I mean broke 3 pieces of castings off, but believe it or not, rack plate and tie rods still straight. So question of the month?????? Where do you want the weak point to be? So spent $350.00 to replace rack, nothing better at the time. Or do you want to replace tie rods and take a chance in one breaking and then flipping over. At this point its a no brainer, $350.00 is better then flying out of control with one wheel in the wrong direction and flipping. (My point of view.)
My thoughts exactly

Reactions: Rednot

·
Registered
132 Posts
So is the Holz brace worth anything or is one going to need a new rack regardless if your going to race the Maverick?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
$350 on the rack is cheaper than what will be the result of a tie rod failure even if you don't endo it....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great points guys! One more question.... What is the disadvantage of buying the Turnkey $60 tie rods vs CT UTV Inc ext that have new ends for way more $$$$?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
Mine eliminate the bump steer and they're the only tie rods that offer that. 95% of the people I push towards my replacement tie rods because they aren't needed for everyone.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
yep would rather replace the rack then have to replace CV and or spindle, caliper, rotor and what ever else damage if a tree jumps out in front in the process!

·
Registered
74 Posts
New here, but doesn't a front gusset kit help to reduce the chance of rack damage, even with HD tie rods? My dealer was pushing a $33 rack plate with their HD rods.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have been trying to determine if I would by aftermarket tie rods and after doing some research I bought the ALBA's. We tend to get pretty fast (brothers/brother in laws) and I don't want to experience any out of control high speed steering losses. I would much rather buy tires, wheels, steering rack and many other things for what tie rods cost. If I knew my tie rod in my truck or my wife's car had a good chance at breaking would replace them ASAP. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts