Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Whinig noise coming from belt or clutch ???

18K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  strate6 
#1 ·
OK Guys, heres the deal, before I got the recall on the clutch fixed, while I was driving it, I heard a whining noise just before the clutch broke. I took it in got it fixed. Now, I Just went to Glamis this weekend, First trip since the recall was fixed. After a few hours of driving it, I herd the same whining noise again. I got worried and stopped driving it in the dunes, thinking the belt or clutch was going to break again, and stuck to the flats. It made that noise the rest of the day, even after pounding a few beers for a couple hours, it still made that same noise. Sunday morning I got in it to load it up and it wasn't making that sound anymore. I'm wondering if any of you guys have heard that same whining noise. Is it the nature of the beast, or is something going on. This really sucks, cant really dune in a vehicle you don't have confidence in. any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. . . .Thanx

#2 ·
Never had that noise. When my belt blew, it just let go with a bang. But my clutches are aftermarket, and only had 3 rides on the stockers

#4 ·
So your stock clutch broke. What was it? Primary bolt? Any other damage?

#5 ·
I can hear a whining noise when the belt heats up but haven't ever blown a belt or damaged a clutch…..not so much now that I have aftermarket clutches but much more when I had the stock clutches….

#7 ·
ur prolly hearing the funny howling wine sound of the clutch , if ur worried and half ass handy remove the clutch side cover and re-TQ bolts to double check , after that anything else is just wasting time, so get out there and ride

#11 ·
yes u can try n clean your sheaves with green scotch brite to remove oil residue if any

#9 ·
Never rode a canned ham that didn't whine. Put snorkels on and you will hear the whine for sure.

#10 ·
Your sheaves probably have residue on them. If your sheaves are dirty you will start to hear a whine after your clutches get hot. It is really bad with the gates belt.

#12 ·
I recently went to Ocotillo for presidents weekend, mine did the same thing. I thought it was a belt or cutch but after the first couple days the noise stopped. This was just the start !! I just had the ten hour service completed and this was the first ride since. I was about six miles from camp when the engine went in to limp mode, with no engine indicator light. I got it back to camp and discovered the idiot who did the maintenance soaked the secondary filter in oil and stuck it back, this caused oil to get sucked in to the intake and gooped up the mas air slow sensor. The computer is throwing a PO131 code which is a 02 sensor...I couldn't get the thing to run right ruined the trip!! I'm taking it back to the dealership this week, ill ask about the whining noise and get back with you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.