Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Which UHMW skid plate?

9K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  TeamFASMotorsports 
#1 ·
Just bought new Maverick XXC and looking to purchase either UTVinc or FACTORYutv uhmw skip plate and A arms protectors. They vary a little from one another. Which one would you guys suggest and why?

Question: When running through mud, which one would better drain water & mud?

Thank you much.

B.

#2 ·
You could make your own... that stuff is easy to work with. Buy the sheet, copy the bolt hole pattern off the stock one and make it however you want.

#3 ·
I ended up using the 1/2" factory utv skid on my mav xrs. I like the fact that there's no seam close to the middle of the large center piece the seams are at the front and the rear. Factory utv has cutouts so that you can get to the lower bolts on the belt cover in case of a belt failure in the middle of nowhere. UTV inc. does not show cutouts on there website..... nothing a hole saw couldn't take care of just more screwing around on your part.
Its amazing just how slippery this material is, as for which one would shed mud and water better i would think factory utv's would because of all the holes although one could argue the holes are just letting more mud and water in.

#11 ·
Its amazing just how slippery this material is, as for which one would shed mud and water better i would think factory utv's would because of all the holes although one could argue the holes are just letting more mud and water in.
I run the FUTV skid with no holes cut in it. I've been running them for 3 years on my Teryx and Mav and I wouldn't run anything else. The 1/2" skids are more of a pain to install since the bottom of the Mav has a very small boat side effect. I'm running the 1/2" and I'll be selling mine to someone local to go down to a 3/8" skid for race prep reasons.
Also for guys that want an alternative to the small bolts that they send, a 5/16 fender washer fits the recessed hole perfect and you can nutsert the frame. That's what I've done on all the leading edges since I've ripped skid plates of in the past.

And like the signature says we sell what we race.

#7 ·
Whats factory utv look like

#10 ·
Factory UTV by far has the best UHMW skid out there. It completely protects the underbelly from side to side, front to rear where some of the other companies just trace out the factory skid which only protects the center of the machine where the expensive stuff is but leaves alot of areas unprotected & edges to catch on when offroading.

#15 ·
JT,
I just got my switches in the mail today...thanks for the quick service.
im looking for the uhmw cv guards front and rear for the MR edition.
do you have them?
shipped to the same address,32806
thanks,mark

#25 ·
JT,
I just left the local dealer and the part numbers for the base maverick and the max cv guards with the TTA rear are the same for the MR.
don't know if this helps???
I believe the XXC had different part numbers

#29 ·
Just visited my local harbor freight and found a descent nutsert tool for less than 20 bucks. Next week I will be installing my new FUTV UHMW skidplate and would rather use nutserts over self tappers to replace the factory rivets. If anyone is looking to add a cheap nutsert tool to the toolbox, harbor freight has a descent one for the price.

#32 ·
I bought the 3/8 one from factory UTV and it's great the only issue is due to its great coverage side to side it extends a couple inches forward of the edge of the Front wheel wells and then is angled up about and inch or so. Because of the chassis and the fact you have to bend it up to to the rocker panel it leaves abut a 2inch gap or opening at the bottom of the wheel well and it let's the mud, leaves and water just fill in the skid and it just loads up the whole thing with debris. When you power wash it's just pushes it back. You about have to undo the sides to properly clean it.

FUTV was great about responding to me and they suggested a pool noodle or pipe insulation to fill the void....but I was not going to do that so they are working with me to provide some small sections of 1/4 inch thick plastic to cover up the gap and cover the gap. Kudos to FUTV for the help address this very nit picky item..

The UTV inc one by comparison is more similar in shape to the stock ones so it looks to have the bends and angles to prevent this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.