Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, fairly new owner, have 20 miles on my 2014 x xc. Looking for places to ride around Columbia, SC. I know about Palmetto in Gaston, Carolina Adventure World near Chester (not really looking for mud but maybe it is not as bad as I hear...) , and Durham town in Georgia. Any other legal places to ride the Maverick? Prefer trails to tracks at this time... Thanks!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I love going to Carolina adventure world. There is very little mud most of the time . Although it rain for two straight days before I got there one time and it was very muddy.

Reactions: Megathumper

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
CAW is going to be your best bet. There's a park about 45 minutes east of Charlotte down 74 that I just learned about that has a full motor cross track and lots of trails. I'll find out the name. Also I'm looking for someone local to test out some XXC parts.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Between Lenoir and Boone is Brown Mt. Now in its 25th year, brown is part of the us forestry service and requires a $5 day pass(sold at local stores) or a $35 season ticket. As part of Pisga national forest, all state laws apply. No alcohol, drugs or riding on the main dirt road, also helmets must be worn. They have about 30-40 miles of trails to conquer, some that are easy and some I won't attempt. Trail 1A at the parking lot is an insane 10 mile rock climb I've only done once in my maverick and I won't go back. I stick to 1-4-4a-6 & 8 as they are wide and fast with good technical sections in there. All trails are marked and some are one way. Overall the mountain is BEAT from so many years of off-roading and is in desperate need of repair and new trails
PM me and I'll show you the whole thing

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Maybe I will check out CAW Sunday. I was there when they first opened on a dirt bike but it got too muddy to enjoy. But it has been years. Been to Brown Mountain also years ago on a dirt bike, liked it but some of those near vertical trails I would not attempt! Did not think a Maverick would fit there, but sounds like it will, so it is on the list. .... And AReed, be glad to help you out. Been reading some of your posts and sounds interesting! Let me know!

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
CAW is going to be your best bet. There's a park about 45 minutes east of Charlotte down 74 that I just learned about that has a full motor cross track and lots of trails. I'll find out the name. Also I'm looking for someone local to test out some XXC parts.
so did you find out the name of the riding park? i'm always looking for new terrain

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
still planning on CAW this weekend but the weather is looking like crap... and if you find out the name of the place on 74, I too would like to know more about it!

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
I'm all over that, would like to meet you in person and thumper too. Just set up a date to get me out of the holiday rat race

·
Vendor
6,219 Posts
My problem is I'm going to be out of town every weekend except until the 2nd weekend in December I believe

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I might be able to make that weekend. But only got 20 miles on Maverick at the moment so have to be "somewhat" easy on it for a bit more... hopefully more this weekend! Are you going for the track or trails?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would advise you not to go to Brown Mtn. with a side by side. I took my wife up there with our rzr last year and the trails were very tight and hard to get through. Very rocky in places and already had one friend destroy his side by side up there. If you have a dirt bike or 4wheeler, I'd suggest taking that up there to ride around on first to get a feel for what it's like. I have tons of fun on my dirt bike, but care nothing about taking a side by side back up there unless they decide to widen the trails at some point.

Two other places for you to go ride that have not been mentioned is Brushy Mtn. located in Taylorsville, NC (other side of Hickory). Brushy Mtn. is lots of fun and the owner keeps all his trails maintained better then any other place I've been! There is also Lake Houser located in Mooresboro, NC. I'll for-warn ya though that Lake Houser is a free for all down there. It has some fun trails, but there is every thing from dirt bikes to big off road trucks that go down there. Some of the mud holes down there can and will sink you in a second, but easy to avoid if you don't like getting muddy.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, Gosupaintballer, That was my memory of Brown but it has been a long time since I was there.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
No doubt Brown is a challenge, not for neophytes. I am gonna kick it down to Outback and check out the facility this weekend, I'll post up some pics

Brushy has earned the reputation of a real stickler.... better not show up wider than 60" or have anything but worn out tread or your ass be turning around and going home. he can take somebody elses $25, it wont be mine. I met with an adjoining neighbor of his this morning who said I can come ride his land(1500 acres) any time, only problem is not many trails on it..YET!

·
Registered
89 Posts
No doubt Brown is a challenge, not for neophytes. I am gonna kick it down to Outback and check out the facility this weekend, I'll post up some pics

Brushy has earned the reputation of a real stickler.... better not show up wider than 60" or have anything but worn out tread or your ass be turning around and going home. he can take somebody elses $25, it wont be mine. I met with an adjoining neighbor of his this morning who said I can come ride his land(1500 acres) any time, only problem is not many trails on it..YET!
Yeh, the owner of Brushy can be pretty anal at times on some things, but the trails there are amazing (especially for dirt bikes)! He does cater more to dirt bike riders then anything though, which i like because every other riding place i know of caters more to 4wheelers / side by sides. My wife and I have taken our RZR up to Brushy Mtn. a couple of times and have not had any issues fitting down the trails. I know a standard RZR and the RZR S models fit on their trails just fine. Dunno how much wider the 1000/900 RZR's and Mavericks/Commanders are then the RZR S's though? We've never had any issues with tires, but i do know if you come in there with big mud tires on a 4wheeler or side x side he will tell you to leave. I would like to know more about the neighbor's land and when & if the guy plans on opening it up to the public???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts