Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
This is what I came up with, 2019 and won't fit under the seats. Didn't want anything on the passenger side in case of a leak.
I'd prefer it was more protected, will probably move it somewhere inboard in the future.

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
Did it last summer under the seat and couldn’t get it out. They swell up pretty good in the sun. I bet the can ballooned up at least an inch. Not doing that again. The way mega has it is the way to go at least in the summer.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
It would bother me if I had a couple leaky Walmart gas cans like I see all the time but I have never had a rotopax ever leak on me yet .Best alternative would be a oversize gas tank though.
Sandfreak, those don't bother you on top of the engine area like that?

·
Registered
443 Posts
This is what I came up with, 2019 and won't fit under the seats. Didn't want anything on the passenger side in case of a leak.
I'd prefer it was more protected, will probably move it somewhere inboard in the future.
Please get that gas can off the outside of the roll bar if you ever roll it the can WILL BURST OPEN AND SPRAY FUEL ALL OVER YOU !!!!!!!!!! one spark and POOF you go up in flames.....
Don't take this personal but that is one of the stupidest places you could mount a can right next to your head exposed with a bar right behind it and about 2000 lbs what do you think will happen to that plastic can?

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Please get that gas can off the outside of the roll bar if you ever roll it the can WILL BURST OPEN AND SPRAY FUEL ALL OVER YOU !!!!!!!!!! one spark and POOF you go up in flames.....
Don't take this personal but that is one of the stupidest places you could mount a can right next to your head exposed with a bar right behind it and about 2000 lbs what do you think will happen to that plastic can?
I have to agree and you said it nicer than I was thinking.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Two things:

1) I've never had my 2gal Rotopax swell to the point they were difficult to remove during hot temperatures, and it's been plenty hot here in Arkansas.
2) For "regular" gas cans, it's really hard to beat Fuelworx (https://fuelworx.net/how-it-works). These were invented by my friend Tim Hooper and they're outstanding and very innovative cans.

FUELWORX.png

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I have mine under the seat and they rarely expand to a point where they are not easy to remove. It would be easy and cheap to install a vent that could be opened to release the pressure if needed. If I do this I will find a screw off type rather than one of the snap off's like you see on typical plastic gas cans. I run gas under one seat and the other one has water. Aluminum L channel painted black and attached with carriage bolts facing down prevents snagging and a strap keeps it all locked down.
brackit.jpg
Gas.jpg
water.jpg
seats out.jpg

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Interesting tie down system. Kind of a half tire hoop set up. How do you like it?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah I thought this was a good idea until mine expanded so much on a 80 degree day I couldn't get it out. I now have it straped in the bed, to the roll bar down tube.
. Its out of the way and easy to vent or fill.

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
Yeah I thought this was a good idea until mine expanded so much on a 80 degree day I couldn't get it out. I now have it straped in the bed, to the roll bar down tube.
. Its out of the way and easy to vent or fill.
fill the container all they way up, no air and you wont have the expansion problem.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I tried two different Rotopax cans under the seat completely full of liquid, no air. After a few months they were almost impossible to remove without opening the cap.
Gasoline expands just like any liquid 231 cu inches @ 60 degrees 235.8 cu inches @ 90 degrees, so I gave up on the under seat location and went with these aluminum bed mounted beauty's
IMG_2335.JPG

21 - 37 of 37 Posts