Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for the torsional spring for the secondary clutch that will stop the rpm drop around 50 mph. I would like to find for the weekend and it's getting close. Anyone have an idea where I can get one? Thanks

·
Registered
806 Posts
So where from? I need one two.

·
Registered
806 Posts
AIRDAM
How much? I pm'ed you about a clutch puller to. I need a spring and a puller. Tell me how I need to get them ordered from you.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Has anyone ever had a clutch cover bolt keep spinning or strip while reinstalling.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Has anyone ever had a clutch cover bolt keep spinning or strip while reinstalling.
I had one do it. Didnt leak under water, but when I went to take the cover back off I had to put an impact on it to spin the thing really fast to get it to back out. With a ratchet it would just spin and wouldnt back out of the hole

·
Registered
806 Posts
I had one do it. Didnt leak under water, but when I went to take the cover back off I had to put an impact on it to spin the thing really fast to get it to back out. With a ratchet it would just spin and wouldnt back out of the hole
I figured it was just the nut spinning inside the plastic. What did you do? I didn't even bother looking at it after I got it tight.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I figured it was just the nut spinning inside the plastic. What did you do? I didn't even bother looking at it after I got it tight.
Its kind of a shoddy design. The nut breaks loose in the plastic cover and just spins instead of backing out. You need to be extra careful not to over tighten the torx bolts when you put the cover on. I would only set the drill on 7 or 8 when putting the cover back on. Maybe some high temp silicone will get the nut to set back in the plastic?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
545 Posts
One of the first things I did was remove the cover, apply Permatex anti seize to all those bolts. Dis-simular metals + water = electrolysis leading to siezed bolts and and stripped nuts. They are a light torque as well.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hadnt really tended to it yet. I ran it back in there and slapped a lil slicone around it for waterproofin then off I went to a ride. I was in a hurry. If you can get the nut out of the plastic, I imagine maybe a lil epoxy filler can hold it in place. I'll fix mine when I get my machine back from the dealer

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I'm looking for the torsional spring for the secondary clutch that will stop the rpm drop around 50 mph. I would like to find for the weekend and it's getting close. Anyone have an idea where I can get one? Thanks
Any chance you could just add a couple of washers in there to make up a spacer, to give the original spring more tension?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Lots of little f'd up nuts n bolts on these things. You can't just gorrilla shit...it will break

·
Registered
711 Posts
if you would put the torsional spring that i have on a compression tester, you'll see that it is VERY VERY minimally stiffer than the stock spring. the new torsional spring i am selling you guys is just a hair stiffer than the stock spring, its not the compression load that makes this spring work better, its the addition of the torsional load that the spring places on the clutch as the clutch is driven open. its the torsional effect that is making this spring act so much better. i have tried the next step up in spring tension over stock, and used the dalton yellow/black spring in the secondary and it does not work nearly as good as the torsional spring. the torsional spring is minimally stiffer than stock, and actually softer than the yellow/black, but its torsional load is whats keeping the clutches in track

i just checked again, and the tracking puts them here at my door thursday so i'll be stocked up for a week or two. i'll go thru my PMs and get you guys lined out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
if you would put the torsional spring that i have on a compression tester, you'll see that it is VERY VERY minimally stiffer than the stock spring. the new torsional spring i am selling you guys is just a hair stiffer than the stock spring, its not the compression load that makes this spring work better, its the addition of the torsional load that the spring places on the clutch as the clutch is driven open. its the torsional effect that is making this spring act so much better. i have tried the next step up in spring tension over stock, and used the dalton yellow/black spring in the secondary and it does not work nearly as good as the torsional spring. the torsional spring is minimally stiffer than stock, and actually softer than the yellow/black, but its torsional load is whats keeping the clutches in track

i just checked again, and the tracking puts them here at my door thursday so i'll be stocked up for a week or two. i'll go thru my PMs and get you guys lined out.
I have a question for you. I ordered my spring from you today I was just looking for some advice. My belt is pretty shiney which I expected because I could feel it slipping around 45-50. I'm wondering if I should put a new belt on it or would that one be okay. I have like 220 miles on it now so it kinda sucks its glazed already.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I have a question for you. I ordered my spring from you today I was just looking for some advice. My belt is pretty shiney which I expected because I could feel it slipping around 45-50. I'm wondering if I should put a new belt on it or would that one be okay. I have like 220 miles on it now so it kinda sucks its glazed already.
If it were me, I'd just sand it with sand paper or scotchbright till the glaze is gone, and then hammer down!

·
Registered
711 Posts
yes i would run it thru a hot bath of dish water and scrub the sides down with a red or green scotchbrite pad. let it soak in steaming hot water for about 5 minutes and then scrub the sides of the belt scrub it while you drain the water out of the sink. re-fill the sink a few inches deep and let the belt soak again for a few more mintutes. pull the belt out, scuff on it again and repeat 2 or 3 times. this will get the shiny surfacing off the belt and somewhat re-condition it. it wont take out any flat spots, if you have slipped the belt to the point of having a flat spot in the belt, but it will take the sheen off the belt and make it somewhat like new.

·
Registered
806 Posts

I pm'ed you about a clutch tool and spring.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts