Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
While I suspect you can find someone who broke a stock BJ..
This is not something that fails regularly.

If you want 125.00 dollar ball joints buy them.

If the issue was so prolific you would have a numerous videos this far into this thread.

Point is if you feel you need them, buy them, you dont need to prove to use you need them. Tim
I live in the sierra foothills. I am not the greatest driver therefore I hit many ruts and granite boulders at speed. I assume you guys in the dunes break different parts but judging from all the different manufacturers of aftermarket 3x stronger parts that I am not alone. If I can wear out assault industries rods in 300 miles I am guessing loose ball joints are soon to follow. In my 45 years as a mechanic and shop owner I have a little knowledge on this subject. What I don't have knowledge of is how to edit my screen name. You guys can laugh and make fun of me all you want but just don't mock 45 years of wrenching experience.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
all the videos you are referencing broke BJ's during another part failure which twists and destroys everything. I have still not heard any BJ's failing from a bump in the road or just breaking from landing a jump.

As Timberly said buy them or not, you choice your money.

a little inside info, I bought into the Keller hype early and run them on my car. But all the terrain I have been on with others going through same stuff I have not seen a failure of either. As a matter of fact I have more maintenance keeping the Keller BJ tight.
thanks for the heads up. That's why I am here is to learn from others experience. I hope to meet and buy you a beer some time. cheers

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
I have close to 6000 miles on my stock ball joints (dunes, desert and Baja). They are still holding up. This past weekend they were put to the test in Johnson Valley and the many whooped out trails and rock sections. Not once was I concerned the ball joints would fail.

I would stick with the stock ball joints and not worry about it.

Reactions: warlock

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
I live in the sierra foothills. I am not the greatest driver therefore I hit many ruts and granite boulders at speed. I assume you guys in the dunes break different parts but judging from all the different manufacturers of aftermarket 3x stronger parts that I am not alone. If I can wear out assault industries rods in 300 miles I am guessing loose ball joints are soon to follow. In my 45 years as a mechanic and shop owner I have a little knowledge on this subject. What I don't have knowledge of is how to edit my screen name. You guys can laugh and make fun of me all you want but just don't mock 45 years of wrenching experience.
If you wore out the assault rods that quickly odds are the heim joints were not F/Ks.

·
Premium Member
7,442 Posts
Let me guess, the cheap as hell heims wore out on the assault rods. Yea, that will happen 10 times over before you need to worry about ball joints. You will fold an a arm on a rut before your bj gets hurt. I've got over 4000 miles in the seat and have probably had every bolt off and back on my 2017 twice. No one is mocking, just trying to save you time and money, and we've said it about 8 times now. Do what you want.

·
Premium Member
6,764 Posts
If you're insinuating I "MOCKED" your wrenching experience, you' took something wrong.

I assure you speaking my mind and being blunt is very much in my wheel house.

If you want to make this a pissing match just let me know so I can turn it on! 🤔

By the way this brings up a good point, I am going to post up a link in a new thread here shortly with a mechanical apptitude test.

It would be fun to see how well some guys do and don't do.

The score would need to be screen shot and if course on the honor system.

Tim

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
If you wore out the assault rods that quickly odds are the heim joints were not F/Ks.
they definitely were not the quality to reflect the price. I bought this car with 600 miles and over 30 k in parts upgrades alone. I am installing lm rods today so if anyone needs some assault rods with worn out heims let me know. btw they only r-h threaded the rods. Good job assault.

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
they definitely were not the quality to reflect the price. I bought this car with 600 miles and over 30 k in parts upgrades alone. I am installing lm rods today so if anyone needs some assault rods with worn out heims let me know. btw they only r-h threaded the rods. Good job assault.
You could save yourself some money and just go buy the heims and replace them. The rods themselves are plenty strong and good. I would even give Assault a call and see if they will give you replacement heims.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
30k in upgraded parts? Omg you better go spend 500$ on BJ’s then lol. You must be adding in dealership labor which does not count. I don’t think you could put that much money in aftermarket parts unless it was a full tear down build from the ground up. No one is making fun of you. Just trying to steer you in the right direction to spend your money. 300$ for rods is not that expensive in my book and why wouldn’t you just replace the Heims with good ones and keep the rods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
288 Posts
If I can wear out assault industries rods in 300 miles I am guessing loose ball joints are soon to follow.
FYI, rubber boots are available for the heims on the rods - I THINK they’ll last longer with boots.

NEVER wore out an OEM rod end - they usually bent before they wore out, but the longest I got on an OEM rod was about 8,000 miles and the rod end was fine when it was removed. The OEM rubber boots are PROBABLY why.

The most I seem to get out of the UN-booted heims is around 5,000 miles.

And FK heims come in various grades - some, I THINK, are purposely designed weaker than others so YOU can decide where you want the weak point to be.

Anyway, FWIW, I managed to put 20,000+ miles on my car and break just about every part including the chassis, but never broke an OEM ball joint, even with HEAVY LT tires on it.

And I did TRY - OH, and the BEST BJ’s are PROBABLY at the Dallas Cowboy in Nuevo Laredo, but I’m ALMOST certain they’re DUDES dressed in drag .

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Oh I assure you, it can be done very quick with some simple bolt ons. Cage, shocks, suspension arms can be close to 10k alone.
I didn’t say it couldn’t be done I’m saying highly unlikely dude has 30k worth of bolt ons on this buggy. From what I take it his first sxs being he is asking about ball joints.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
FYI, rubber boots are available for the heims on the rods - I THINK they’ll last longer with boots.

NEVER wore out an OEM rod end - they usually bent before they wore out, but the longest I got on an OEM rod was about 8,000 miles and the rod end was fine when it was removed. The OEM rubber boots are PROBABLY why.

The most I seem to get out of the UN-booted heims is around 5,000 miles.

And FK heims come in various grades - some, I THINK, are purposely designed weaker than others so YOU can decide where you want the weak point to be.

Anyway, FWIW, I managed to put 20,000+ miles on my car and break just about every part including the chassis, but never broke an OEM ball joint, even with HEAVY LT tires on it.

And I did TRY .

Ok, Ok, enough already. I will save my money for now. Here is the list of add ons the car came with. I have been a member since before I purchased my 2017 xrs and appreciate all the great advice which led me to buy a car with 600 miles. Two reasons for buying used for me were the value I got and the time it would have taken me to install all the upgrades. Here is my list not necessarily in any order. front bumper with warn winch and rigid light bar, heretic shock brace light, heated Simpson seats, 3" Simpson harnesses, assault front and rear sway bar links, assault tie rods and radius rods, assault 2" receiver pull plate, dual odyssey batteries, Rockford stage 5 stereo, pci helmet air and radios, two hrc helmets, s&b particle separator, rigid rock lights, rigid adapt light bar, rigid reflect lighted mirrors, rigid amber hood light bar, fire ext. belt housing liner with spare belt, linq shock assist luggage rack, lighted whips, axiom bed tailgate lip thing, evo stage 3 tune and evo clutch work, evo cat delete and captains choice, evo bov, assault steering wheel, momo pedals, electric pushbutton door latches, lsr rock sliders, hcr front and rear control and trailing arms, lowrance GPS, 5 fuel 10 plies on method wheels, stock bighorn tires and wheels, American made paddles and front directional sand tires on method wheels, high lift jack and battery charger. The parts I added so far are smartlok front diff and axles, brp glass windshield with washer, belt temp gauge and eibach springs. Things that are needed front gusset kit, shock therapy valving, rcv ball joints, evo airbox, eibach sway bars, steering rack upgrade, backup camera and most importantly finding groups or individuals to ride with. I have a pretty good track at my house in Gold run Ca. along with a dozer, compactor and water truck so if anybody in the area wants to ride let me know. P.S. what is your guys opinion on the zrp trailing arm supports. The nut fell off the trailing arm and the hole got a little wallowed out on mine. My m.o. is to only have to repair an issue once. nothing is infallible but knock wood I have always gotten home under my own power.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Ok, Ok, enough already. I will save my money for now. Here is the list of add ons the car came with. I have been a member since before I purchased my 2017 xrs and appreciate all the great advice which led me to buy a car with 600 miles. Two reasons for buying used for me were the value I got and the time it would have taken me to install all the upgrades. Here is my list not necessarily in any order. front bumper with warn winch and rigid light bar, heretic shock brace light, heated Simpson seats, 3" Simpson harnesses, assault front and rear sway bar links, assault tie rods and radius rods, assault 2" receiver pull plate, dual odyssey batteries, Rockford stage 5 stereo, pci helmet air and radios, two hrc helmets, s&b particle separator, rigid rock lights, rigid adapt light bar, rigid reflect lighted mirrors, rigid amber hood light bar, fire ext. belt housing liner with spare belt, linq shock assist luggage rack, lighted whips, axiom bed tailgate lip thing, evo stage 3 tune and evo clutch work, evo cat delete and captains choice, evo bov, assault steering wheel, momo pedals, electric pushbutton door latches, lsr rock sliders, hcr front and rear control and trailing arms, lowrance GPS, 5 fuel 10 plies on method wheels, stock bighorn tires and wheels, American made paddles and front directional sand tires on method wheels, high lift jack and battery charger. The parts I added so far are smartlok front diff and axles, brp glass windshield with washer, belt temp gauge and eibach springs. Things that are needed front gusset kit, shock therapy valving, rcv ball joints, evo airbox, eibach sway bars, steering rack upgrade, backup camera and most importantly finding groups or individuals to ride with. I have a pretty good track at my house in Gold run Ca. along with a dozer, compactor and water truck so if anybody in the area wants to ride let me know. P.S. what is your guys opinion on the zrp trailing arm supports. The nut fell off the trailing arm and the hole got a little wallowed out on mine. My m.o. is to only have to repair an issue once. nothing is infallible but knock wood I have always gotten home under my own power.
Oh I forgot to mention I just noticed I have 2 screen names on this forum. OOPS! Witty barbs are in order.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I didn’t say it couldn’t be done I’m saying highly unlikely dude has 30k worth of bolt ons on this buggy. From what I take it his first sxs being he is asking about ball joints.

you are correct. This is my first sxs but my first flat fender jeep I bought 45 years ago so I'm not new to off-roading or dirt bike racing. The car has over 30k in upgrades now that I have been braking things for 300 miles. I still have my Willys also only because it's street legal.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts