Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the machine today for a 70 mile trip.
It was pretty warm, around 85-90 F.
Once home, I did my little walk around to see if I spot any damage or such.
I could not see anything wrong but I smelled coolant.

I started to look for puddles of water or any other signs of the leak but I could not find a single drop of it.....everything is bone dry but I can smell the coolant.
The reservoir is also below min and it was between min and max when I started the trip. So I definitely lost some....

Well, where are the typical leaks on the Mav???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
the reservoir cap is all plastic just get the correct size o-ring and stick it all the way in the cap and ur set

also look over all coolant clamped connections from the front all the way to motor sometimes the connections on the hose to motor gets lil loose, 2-3 reports

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the reservoir cap is all plastic just get the correct size o-ring and stick it all the way in the cap and ur set

also look over all coolant clamped connections from the front all the way to motor sometimes the connections on the hose to motor gets lil loose, 2-3 reports
Thanks Benzo,

I took it out this morning for a quick run to heat up the coolant, once back home I could smell coolant again.
I ripped off all panels to have clear view of the engine but I can not find where it is leaking. All hose connections to the motor are tight and not a single drop of water.
I also can not see any white areas on the radiator which could indicate a leak there...
The bottle of the reservoir is also bone dry but I will add the o-ring as suggested just to be sure.

I have no idea where else to check....I mean there are just a handful of coolant lines on this machine and all check out fine.

Did anyone try this stuff you put in the reservoir which will close minor leaks?
I've read that this stuff is somehow reacting with air and crystallizes which will close up minute leaks?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Alex.

Check the hose clamps and change.

Coolant leak. see pic - Can-Am Commander Forum

Have a nice day.

DOC
Hello Doc,

Thanks for the tip.
I did check this clamp and all the other ones, non of them indicates a leak.
Everything is bone dry and there is no evidence of leaking coolant.

Btw, did you got my email? When we are going riding again?

Thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hello Doc,

Thanks for the tip.
I did check this clamp and all the other ones, non of them indicates a leak.
Everything is bone dry and there is no evidence of leaking coolant.

Btw, did you got my email? When we are going riding again?

Thanks

I changed mine and the problem gone. We are thinking to ride next sunday, I'll send you a email.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I changed mine and the problem gone. We are thinking to ride next sunday, I'll send you a email.
Thanks Doc,

I may change all clamps even though there is no visible sign of leakage on any of them. I don't know if it will fix anything but at least I can cross of the clamps as a possible issue.

Great, waiting on your email.

See you hopefully next weekend.

Thanks a bunch

Alex

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Like u said if u don't see leaks at the clamps leave them or carry extra screw drive hose clamps - other wise I'm pretty sure your over flow bottle cap is leaking fill the bottle up go drive then look at bottom of reservoir

·
Registered
4,536 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
So is the res cap an issue on the 14's as well, needs to be a o-ring installed? What kind of coolant do they call for in the mav? anything special?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright, just added an o-ring to the reservoir cap.
Looking at the end of the reservoir (where the cap sits on) it seems to have two notches in it....I'm wondering why this was done....

I just looked over all hoses again and I found a little coolant coming out at the connection between hose and radiator. It's the connection on the driver side. No idea why I did not notice it yesterday or this morning.
I tightened this clamp.

Now I gotta see if the o-ring and the tight clamp at the radi. fixed the issue.
If not, I'm gonna change all clamps.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Have a great Sunday.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
sounds like u found it , it happens new machines new rubber heat cold heat cold , makes things move around , after a few rides u will have it broke in and any lil things u will find will be then ,

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sounds like u found it , it happens new machines new rubber heat cold heat cold , makes things move around , after a few rides u will have it broke in and any lil things u will find will be then ,
Yes, I keep my fingers crossed that the leaking issue is fixed now.
The heat and cold cycles have definitely an effect on the connections but we also should not forget that most of those machines take a beating every time they're out there blasting thru the trails.

Little issues set aside, every time I come home from a ride I'm surprised that this machine is still in one piece :) I'm definitely happy with the CanAm quality and my machine.

·
Registered
354 Posts
It took me twice to find my leak at the water-pump clamp,the first time my fingers were dry when I checked it,a week later leaking,go figure.I replaced the clamp with a better one.My reserve is about a third full so probably just keep an eye on that until I dig up an o-ring.Those worm gear clamps on the pump and such are super weak with a minimum of surface area.....:disappointed:

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Yes, I keep my fingers crossed that the leaking issue is fixed now.
The heat and cold cycles have definitely an effect on the connections but we also should not forget that most of those machines take a beating every time they're out there blasting thru the trails.

Little issues set aside, every time I come home from a ride I'm surprised that this machine is still in one piece :) I'm definitely happy with the CanAm quality and my machine.

luv mine also !

·
Registered
75 Posts
I found this old thread on a search. I too had a small leak up front and sure enough, I had a loose clamp. Love all the great info on this forum.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts