Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When should I replace them ?......I'm at 1000 miles and they look and feel fine.....no noise, none seem worn/feel worn/look worn......from everything ive read it seems like most people replace them before 1000 miles...….I would rather replace them early instead of a trail fail...or should I keep riding until ?

Super Daves or S3 ?....I don't think CT makes them for 2015 xds turbo's ?

Thanks

·
Registered
320 Posts
I've got almost 5000 miles on a X3-XRS. Front end is as tight as new. But I have this special tool I use often.......A Grease Gun :)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Jack the car up in the front by the frame, remove the wheels, grab the knuckle and try to twist it the same way it would twist when you get on the gas and brakes. See if there is any play in the arms. I had the S3 bushings in my car and even pushing the dirt out with grease before every trip, after a few thousand miles they were toast. Also, the steel bushings pins will wear around the outer diameter too. IMO bushing kits should come with new pins.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I replaced mine at around 1600 miles...they actually were not that bad (I like a rzr where they clap out before 1k miles). I installed super Dave bushings in my rzr and had great luck with them so I used them in the x3 also

2018 X3 XDS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
My cars still pretty new so I havent even looked at my bushings but in my kawi and popo I installed garage products and they came with new pins in both sets

·
Registered
443 Posts
I would say a good time to replace them is if you have the front end apart for a gusset kit or a arm replacement REPLACE them while you have it torn down that far.... Millage wise who knows how long the stock ones may last it depends on to many variables with use in different terrain and climate conditions????

The stock bushings are kinda rubbery with under a 1000 miles mine showed a little wear looked a little egg shaped inside when I pulled them out to install the CT gusset kit lower arms with new bushings hopefully I wont need to strip it down that far for a long time!!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yup, I just purchased the CT front gusset kit and rear boxed a-arms so everything will be apart soon......I grease mine after every ride since I'm always in water and mud.....and I have to pressure wash my machine for hours after each ride to remove the caked clay and mud....sometimes I have to pressure wash 3-4 times per day of riding. I grease them to push all the crap out

zero issues/looseness/squeaks from the oem ….I will just replace them now even though the oem are probably good to go for another year

·
Registered
45 Posts
I dont know how the XDS is but removing the a arms on the X3 is pretty time consuming. So even though i only have about 100 miles on it, i replaced the bushings when i did the S3 gusset and shock tower brace. Simply so that I wouldnt have to tear everything back apart just to replace bushings later on. Since youre planning on doing a gusset kit and new a-arms definitely do it then. Its cheap assurance that you shouldnt have to pull it all back apart soon.

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
I have the Sandcraft a-arm bushings, but have not put mine on yet. I will do it when I need to take the front end apart for other stuff, which maybe soon. Thinking of switching out my gusset kit to the CT Raceworx bombproof set up.

If Can Am would of just made it simple to drop the arms I would be more motivated. I don't ride in water and mud and the bushings seem to be fine after 3300 miles.

·
Registered
443 Posts
If Can Am would of just made it simple to drop the arms I would be more motivated. I don't ride in water and mud and the bushings seem to be fine after 3300 miles.
Getting the arms out is easy compared to reinstalling them with the CT gusset kit! I did it myself and had a lift that helped a lot I could see where doing on the ground would suck even more.......

Attachments

·
Registered
8,713 Posts
Getting the arms out is easy compared to reinstalling them with the CT gusset kit! I did it myself and had a lift that helped a lot I could see where doing on the ground would suck even more.......
If I do the kit I will have a friend help me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just installed the new S3 bushings......at 1100 miles all of my factory bushings looked perfect, all were tight, almost no wear, I had to pry all of them out and they were surprisingly clean

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I just installed the new S3 bushings......at 1100 miles all of my factory bushings looked perfect, all were tight, almost no wear, I had to pry all of them out and they were surprisingly clean
Can't hurt, right ? Those S3 bushings are polyurethane, right ?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can't hurt, right ? Those S3 bushings are polyurethane, right ?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I don't know.....they are very hard and slippery.....the oem were rubbery and nit as slippery

The machining was crappy on some of the S3's.....I had to get a razor knife to cut lots of plastic off of around 10 of them, looks like they weren't finished all the way....someone wasn't paying attention !

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
The Super Dave’s comes with the inner sleeve and the stainless wear plates for the sides. The first set I put in my OG mav wore so good it took over 500 miles before I could get them to take grease. I just installed them in my X3 when I installed my CT upper and lower a-arms. I can only hope the last as well as my OG mav bushings.

I think the original bushing wear is all about the environment and driver. I grease mine every day I ride and at 1000 miles I could move the lower arms1/2” for and aft at the ball joint. I ride hard and hammer through the rough stuff. Sometimes I even cruise around.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts