Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of ads online with people selling 2-3 year old machines. Usually between 1-3000 miles. To me it looks like after 3000 miles the likelihood of someone wanting a machine goes down drastically. The problem I see is it isn’t hard to put that many miles on in a season or two. So the depreciation could easily be $5 or more a mile which is really bad. Am I wrong? What am I missing? Can people really afford to take it in the shorts that bad every couple years?

·
Registered
557 Posts
For the MOST trouble-free experience, I’d PROBABLY sell it at around 10,000 miles - you COULD go about that far with ZERO issues other than fluid and filter changes.

At about that point, the clutch and the brake pads are about to need work…

I’ve seen people sell em with 8,000 miles or so on em, and immediately replace em with same or better models with as little as 300 miles on the odometers, so there’s ZERO hits to the wallet…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,140 Posts
I see a lot of ads online with people selling 2-3 year old machines. Usually between 1-3000 miles. To me it looks like after 3000 miles the likelihood of someone wanting a machine goes down drastically. The problem I see is it isn’t hard to put that many miles on in a season or two. So the depreciation could easily be $5 or more a mile which is really bad. Am I wrong? What am I missing? Can people really afford to take it in the shorts that bad every couple years?
IMO, you're not missing anything, and basically spot on. The offroad market is fickle. I would think roughly 65 - 75% of owners finance their SXS. Usually with bad interest rates. So in a matter of years, they are upside-down with their loan, with no relief in site, other than to sell or pardon the term " lightening" it gets stolen or burn to the ground. Instant relief!

Add to it that most manufacturers turn out close to totally new machines every couple of years, nobody wants old stuff. You have to look past "the fluff" to see that really, the new machines aren't very different from their older brothers. I have a 17, and 19 X3. The 22s still aren't different enough for me to sell the 17. Of course every year the 17 gets older, which will make selling it more difficult, and a cheaper price. It's a game, you just have to know how to play, IMO.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I see a crap load of people selling the same year or next year !

Reactions: DogRunner2

·
Registered
335 Posts
You pretty well have it right except I think most of those people aren't getting back into a new machine after they sell theirs, so it's more of a one time hit.

Hollywood nailed it with bad interest rates and (a new to me term) "lightening it" for why you see so many of these newish machines for sale. I know many of rumors from people about mysterious thefts or fires on machines they owned at high interest rates with payments they could no longer afford and couldn't sell because their loan was still grossly more than its resale value. I suspect we're going to see a market flood of that soon.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Guys with average credit buy all these new toys then realize how stupid the 13% percent interest rate they agreed to was then boom…magically they get totaled or stolen. These things will last thousands and thousands of miles if you maintain them. I plan on keeping my 22 until 15-20k then getting another new one.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I generally see two things posted for the nearly new ones for sale …….no time to ride/don’t use it as much as I thought and time for a new build .

Reactions: DogRunner2 and RSX3

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Here's a pretty common story..

The husband talks the wife into looking at the machine, when they are out shopping she gets caught up in the hype and excitement where it looks cute, fun and something to show off.
They take a few rides, some get scared or find that it's not for them and/or the newness is done and over.

However that big monthly payment she makes is there every month while the machine sits in the garage unused,....

·
Premium Member
14,140 Posts
You pretty well have it right except I think most of those people aren't getting back into a new machine after they sell theirs, so it's more of a one time hit.

Hollywood nailed it with bad interest rates and (a new to me term) "lightening it" for why you see so many of these newish machines for sale. I know many of rumors from people about mysterious thefts or fires on machines they owned at high interest rates with payments they could no longer afford and couldn't sell because their loan was still grossly more than its resale value. I suspect we're going to see a market flood of that soon.
Well, in this politically correct world we live in now, I didn't want to offend anybody, so I shortened it. Might be only East Coast terminology? That's where I heard it all the time. Nationality wise, name any ( Italian Lightning, Jewish Lightning, German Lightning, etc.) Meaning you get rid of it anyway (shady, as it might be) you can. This isn't just for a SXS either. Could be a car, could be a boat, could be a house, anything. You get the idea, one day it's there, the next day it catches on fire, or stolen. End of payments, end of problem.

Reactions: Sublimeshooter

·
Registered
72 Posts
Dealers don't like to take them with over 10k miles. I have a 19 X3 XDS Turbo R with 9k miles and $4k add ones on it and they say trade in is $14k because of the miles. I see them advertised for $22 to $24 k with 3k miles on them. I was hoping to trade but not going to take the hit. Selling it outright is a pain dealing with low ballers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dealers don't like to take them with over 10k miles. I have a 19 X3 XDS Turbo R with 9k miles and $4k add ones on it and they say trade in is $14k because of the miles. I see them advertised for $22 to $24 k with 3k miles on them. I was hoping to trade but not going to take the hit. Selling it outright is a pain dealing with low ballers.
So what do you think yours is actually worth now? How much per mile or per year will it have cost you? Any major repairs mixed in or extended warranty cost to add into the mix?

·
Premium Member
14,140 Posts
Man, that seems low for a 19, even with the mileage? If it's extremely clean, or you can get it into that condition, you could ask the dealer to take it in on consignment (with the price you'd be happy with after they take their cut), and see if anything happens after a month or so. More eyes at a dealership than usually trying to private sell. Good luck.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So what do you think yours is actually worth now? How much per mile or per year will it have cost you? Any major repairs mixed in or extended warranty cost to add into the mix?
I did get $2500 off when they were closing out the 19's so I paid $22,900 plus taxes and then the add ones. I was initially thinking I'd better get rid of it if I could get around $20k and take some stuff off, Roof, Fender Flares, Cat Delete, Front shock tower and Bulkhead. The 22 DS Turbo R is $22k which wouldn't be that bad a hit but the same machine X DS is $26k . I still don't see the price difference for just shocks, bead locks and a bigger screen but I like the ride of the RC2 shocks, a previous thread said he didn't like the QS3 shocks that come on the DS.

I haven't had any repairs other than having the clutch cleaned and a main bearing replaced. I replaced the Belt at 5k miles and spark plugs.

Cost per mile without taxes would be new machine $26k - $14k trade = 12k /9k - 1.33 plus taxes which depends on trading or selling outright. Of coarse if you want to add gas, insurance, maintenance, add ones etc. your probable around $2.50 per mile. The question is how much will I get with 15k miles on it and how many repair $ from now to then? I think the cost goes up a lot. I guess you can't look at the cost factor just the fun factor. Any sport cost $$. I use to ski for $20 per day and now it's $120.

·
Premium Member
2,331 Posts
Post it for 18-19k$ it will sell at this point on time. People don’t want to wait a year for delivery of a new buggy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Turbo RR
324 Posts
I get bored of machines when I’m done modifying to my liking. I enjoy working on them as much as I love driving them. I sell just to start a new project.
Exactly! Loosing interest in my X3 desert racer now that I'm back working on readying my other race car for the 2022 drag racing season.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I am really happy with mine with almost 8 k miles… it’s a keeper for sure!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Dealers don't like to take them with over 10k miles. I have a 19 X3 XDS Turbo R with 9k miles and $4k add ones on it and they say trade in is $14k because of the miles.
So you bought it for $23K three years ago, put 9K on the clock, and expect $20K for it while taking off the goodies.? Basically you're expecting to only lose about 15% (on trade in) for a TOY you purchased new, 3 years ago.

I wouldn't touch a used SXS with that many miles on it. Lets face it,,, that's a ton of miles on a toy. Not terribly uncommon around this forum,,, but on the grand scheme,,,, not very many people put that kind of miles on a SXS.

Too many hacks out there that don't take care of their sh!t. If I were to buy one used, it would have to be under 2k miles, (preferably under 1k) be perfect, stock other than bolt on's, be much less than the cost of a new ride, and certainly NOT be from a dealer. I live in a large market,,, so this us usually possible if one is patient (and has cash).

Regardless of the market,,,, I think you are expecting way too much for a VERY used car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts