Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Maverick X3 Max X RS Turbo RR
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it recommended to still remove the wheel scrapers if you have 15" wheels? Have any of you guys left the scrapers on with 15" wheels and later damaged your wheels? Any experience is appreciated. I couldn't find a real clear answer on this. Thanks

·
Registered
558 Posts
Have any of you guys left the scrapers on with 15" wheels and later damaged your wheels?
OVER 20,000 miles on 15” wheels with one wheel scraper intact and the other broke off - no damage to either wheel.

Rock Knockers MAY’VE been a factor - the knocker flaps were already installed when the left rear wheel came off and took the scraper with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DD. that's some serious miles! I've done about 1,500 miles so far with my 15" wheels and haven't had any issues but am curious to know other's experience.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it recommended to still remove the wheel scrapers if you have 15" wheels? Have any of you guys left the scrapers on with 15" wheels and later damaged your wheels? Any experience is appreciated. I couldn't find a real clear answer on this. Thanks
Answered my own question on this. YES, you should still remove scrapers even with 15” wheels. Unfortunately I had to buy a new Method wheel after a rock got wedged between scraper and rim and put a hole in it. Should have followed Mega’s advice above and tossed them on day one. The only exception to this might be if you ride in a lot of mud. Not sure if they actually work as intended for scraping mud but IMO definitely not needed for any of the desert, dune, or even mountain trails that I ride.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Answered my own question on this. YES, you should still remove scrapers even with 15” wheels. Unfortunately I had to buy a new Method wheel after a rock got wedged between scraper and rim and put a hole in it. Should have followed Mega’s advice above and tossed them on day one. The only exception to this might be if you ride in a lot of mud. Not sure if they actually work as intended for scraping mud but IMO definitely not needed for any of the desert, dune, or even mountain trails that I ride.
I'm not choosing sides, asking as a student here. Can't really fault them if they were sized for 14" wheel but on 15" wheel. Also I believe they are a wear item, no? Further, the angled to deflect debris outward seems like a legit suggestion also. Ultimately I have the cockblockers or whatever they're called, so fingers crossed. Haven't thought to check for the scrapers on mine, good chance previous owner already deleted them, as he did a bunch of mods including other wheel/tire combo which only those weren't included in the deal.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe the general consensus on this forum is to delete with 14” wheels. This is why I asked the original question about 15” wheels, it was unclear if anybody had actually had a problem with 15’s. From what I recall, there were a lot of guys who recommended the cockblockers as a way to mitigate this issue no matter what size your wheels are.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts