Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

Wheel bearing puller/installer

12K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  zambo 
#1 ·
Anyone found a wheel bearing puller/installer kit that has the proper dimensions for both removal and install? Would be great if one of the type where use a bolt through center to pull it out/in works. I do have a large axle nut socket that would work to press it out but my small bench hand press is not working to get it out so also open just going and buying a hydraulic press to add to the garage collection if have to but if some other puller tool off Amazon works that would be great LOL. I know can get away with using some carefully placed metal block to use to push it out on a press and the old bearing to press it in but hopefully something that makes it a bit easier than this and keep things aligned properly. I will put the bearing in the freezer before putting new one in. ZRP seems to make some press tool fixtures but bit pricey. Just curious what others have done that works well for both front and rear bearings ...

#2 ·
This is what I picked up in a pinch for changing out rear knuckle:
Worked on the rear hub, should be no different on the fronts.
20% off with coupon code 76616657 through Sept. 30th

#4 ·
I went with a 20 ton press from hf. On sale I think I gave 109 for it. I figured that the only thing I would use it for but I was wrong. I use it quite frequently around the house. Just buy a socket that fits the hub with a little play and press in and press out. Easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Thanks everyone.

Found the same looking kit OCWes linked above on Amazon for only about $60 so went for it:
Amazon.com: DAYUAN 23pcs FWD Front Wheel Drive Bearing Puller Removal Hub Removal Bearing Installer Installation Tool Kit: Automotive

Its really heavy duty stuff. Just pulled out the front bearings and it worked really well. Here are a couple pics of the setup from front and back:

Lubed up the threads and all surfaces the front and back bolt head/nut rotate on to pull it out. I tried doing it by hand as prefer that for a bit more feel but its a bit awkward juggling everything so got out the air gun and just did it really slowly and that worked perfectly. They don't just "pop out" anyways so no real worries.

I have not reinstalled new ones yet but I did verify the kit has the perfect disc size for the bearing to be pulled in. These discs are ideal as they center in the bearing hole yet have a recessed area to ensure no contact with the actual bearing surfaces and only press on the outer portion of the bearing.

#7 · (Edited)
Yeah, I did this as have a garage toaster oven I also use to cure small painted stuff and put the bearings in freezer for a good while. Not sure it helped me much as they only went in about 1/8 the way easily but at least it was a good start. I did clean them up good with Scotchbrite pad prior too. I did apply a thin film of the green locktite/bearing seal too so suspect that does not help for them to just drop in. I did get the new bearings in with the tool mentioned above but took a good amount of effort from the air gun but no issues.

#11 · (Edited)
Got both front and rear bearings in ok. The rears were a little tougher to get in straight for me and concluded best to try and get the bearing started as much as you can with the piece from the kit that fits the bearing properly and then used a brass hammer to tap it in a bit. I had to take them out a couple times to get it going in straight again but it was not too big of an issue. I got a little over confident before realizing this on my first rear one and had press it out and clean up the knuckle a little as a little hard to see how straight it is when juggling all the pieces to start it.

If you get this kit you might also want to have a few spare 3/4 - 10 coarse thread nuts (grade 8 a must), many thick 3/4in washers to make a stack a few inches tall since would not be using the long coupling nut, and an extra deep 3/4 socket so can drive the nut rather than the screw with enough reach as it pushes the bearing out through the deep knuckle. I was oiling everything but the extended length nut they provided did start to get messed up by my third bearing as did some of the washers. The bolt held up well but even having a spare on of those might be nice.

Next time I will just go get a press but this kit gets it done ok and will still be great to have when get a press.

#14 ·
#15 ·
While my shop press comes in handy for stuff like this, I think that portable tool is a good thing to have in your pack up that you take with you in the trailer. Would have saved me a ton of time if I had something like that the last time I raced my car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.