Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my wheel bearing greaser tool in today, just got done doing both front bearings, both bearings took 18 pumps and my machine only has 16 miles on it.
Will get my back bearings done next.
They sure do not put very much grease from factory.

kenner

·
Registered
57 Posts
Are you sure that this style of bearing is to be filled? This could be counter productive. I don’t know, just something to think about.

The factory packed the bearing to spec.

Some mil specs I have worked with only coat the bearing prior to installation.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ya I have watched the YouTube vid that guys have posted, I still am thinking that type of bearing is not meant to be full of grease.
Someone post info from the bearing manufacturer that states proper packing

I am thinking that the tool and grease manufacturer are pushing this to all of us and we all eat it up. It all a money making thing
Most of our vehicles use this same style bearing and no one is talking about tearing down your tow vehicle to redo what the bearing manufacturer sent to the assembly line for your truck.
Just me thinking out loud again.......

Someone will provide the bearing spec to show us that this is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
Then don't grease them. What do we known, just years of seat time and 10K's of miles.

Read about the dozens of posts of carnage cause by seized wheel bearings ..... Once the wheel bearing grease tool was offered and owners started greasing the wheel bearings, they stopped seizing. Probably just a coincidence.

Even BRP sent their Service departments a memo in January (finally) informing the Stealership grease monkeys to grease the wheel bearings.

Damn it, there goes my stock market portfolio, 100% vested in wheel bearing grease tools and grease tube sales .....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes the size is 29mm not 39mm, trust me I bought the wrong size the first time. 29mm is what you need.
kenner

·
Registered
124 Posts
Then don't grease them. What do we known, just years of seat time and 10K's of miles.

Read about the dozens of posts of carnage cause by seized wheel bearings ..... Once the wheel bearing grease tool was offered and owners started greasing the wheel bearings, they stopped seizing. Probably just a coincidence.

Even BRP sent their Service departments a memo in January (finally) informing the Stealership grease monkeys to grease the wheel bearings.

Damn it, there goes my stock market portfolio, 100% vested in wheel bearing grease tools and grease tube sales .....

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
You are spot on. This is a nice read for the doubters from a member here "Is $900 a lot for a wheel bearing ?": https://www.maverickforums.net/forum/170-maverick-x3/115605-900-lot-wheel-bearing.html

In my time in the Air Force as a mechanic we completed cleaned and full packed the wheel bearings. I don't know why you wouldn't....

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Here are my thoughts on this subject. I think I have read all the posts that are for and against greasing sealed bearings. I understand the against part due to they are sealed bearings. I took all 4 corners of my 2019 sport 1000r that has about 220 miles on it. I could physically feel the bearings had very little grease in them just by moving them around with my fingers.

I decided to add grease to mine, it took 11 to 12 pumps before any came out of the seals. The original grease is white lithium. I'm not claiming to be a wheel bearing expert but what I will say is, i feel much better knowing they have some grease in them now. I truly don't feel they would be long for this world without it. Time will tell now.

It was a little bigger job than I thought too but once you figure it out things go faster. The lower control arms need to be disconnected to get the axle shaft out. I needed to disconnect the sway bar too. The tool I used was less than 10 bucks shipped off Ebay, it is 30mm in size.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here are my thoughts on this subject. I think I have read all the posts that are for and against greasing sealed bearings. I understand the against part due to they are sealed bearings. I took all 4 corners of my 2019 sport 1000r that has about 220 miles on it. I could physically feel the bearings had very little grease in them just by moving them around with my fingers.

I decided to add grease to mine, it took 11 to 12 pumps before any came out of the seals. The original grease is white lithium. I'm not claiming to be a wheel bearing expert but what I will say is, i feel much better knowing they have some grease in them now. I truly don't feel they would be long for this world without it. Time will tell now.

It was a little bigger job than I thought too but once you figure it out things go faster. The lower control arms need to be disconnected to get the axle shaft out. I needed to disconnect the sway bar too. The tool I used was less than 10 bucks shipped off Ebay, it is 30mm in size.

If you put to much grease in and it comes out the seal you no longer have a sealed bearing...be careful

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is it a 29mm that is needed I have a 19 sport X RC.

also u don’t want to break the seal on the bearing? How do I know when enough is enough, anyway to measure pressure or just judge it ?

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Just don’t over do it. The seals are weak. 5-10 pumps should be fine. I used an old bearing to see how much it would take a few years back. 18-20 pumps before I could hear it coming out. Not a big deal if it does break they are easy to grease .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just don’t over do it. The seals are weak. 5-10 pumps should be fine. I used an old bearing to see how much it would take a few years back. 18-20 pumps before I could hear it coming out. Not a big deal if it does break they are easy to grease .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
can you confirm it’s it 29mm I would need for my machine

1 - 20 of 29 Posts