Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question--I was told the wheel bearings on the X3 are sealed? If so is the wheel bearing tool just filling in the space in front of the bearing?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The wheel bearing is a double row and there is a gap in the inner race. This is where the grease is injected.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so if i understand correctly your greasing the outer ring which doesn't do anything for the bearing?? I know on older 4x4's where the bearing wasn't sealed this would work but if the bearing is sealed your really not doing anything but putting grease where it is not needed?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
so if i understand correctly your greasing the outer ring which doesn't do anything for the bearing?? I know on older 4x4's where the bearing wasn't sealed this would work but if the bearing is sealed your really not doing anything but putting grease where it is not needed?
No, you do not understand. The outer race is solid, the inner race is split. The grease groove on the tool lines up with the gap in the inner race.

·
Registered
432 Posts
On this topic, does anyone have some advice for getting the rear hubs off? I attempted one side last weekend and even after hitting the axel in with a dead blow hammer (what a guy did on a youtube video), I couldn't get the hub to come out. I was worried if I really got after it with pry bar etc., I'd bend/break something. Thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
SxS bearings are actually 2 bearings back to back in a single housing. The grease is injected into the seam and will come out the outer seals. The grease tool push's out old grease, dirt and water and replaces the old grease with new.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
On this topic, does anyone have some advice for getting the rear hubs off? I attempted one side last weekend and even after hitting the axel in with a dead blow hammer (what a guy did on a youtube video), I couldn't get the hub to come out. I was worried if I really got after it with pry bar etc., I'd bend/break something. Thoughts? Thanks.
Not trying to be a smartass or anything, but did you remove the brake caliper?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
SxS bearings are actually 2 bearings back to back in a single housing. The grease is injected into the seam and will come out the outer seals. The grease tool push's out old grease, dirt and water and replaces the old grease with new.
So the sealed bearing really isn't sealed??

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Technically speaking it is semi sealed. There are seals on the outside and then when you install the hub the inner race of the bearing is up against the spindle flange and the nut on the front side of the hub. Does it stop the water and dirt from entering the bearing, no. Before these bearing tools were available I would seal the inner race with silicone to help keep the water and mud out. Its not a fix all because water and dirt also penetrates the outer seals. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Technically speaking it is semi sealed. There are seals on the outside and then when you install the hub the inner race of the bearing is up against the spindle flange and the nut on the front side of the hub. Does it stop the water and dirt from entering the bearing, no. Before these bearing tools were available I would seal the inner race with silicone to help keep the water and mud out. Its not a fix all because water and dirt also penetrates the outer seals. Hope that helps.
thanks for the explanation--

·
Registered
432 Posts
Not trying to be a smartass or anything, but did you remove the brake caliper?
Ok, fair question I guess but yes, brake caliper off and out of the way, and yes, I removed the cotter pin and the axle nut as well. I even started by jacking the car up and taking off the tire/wheel first! But, seriously, that's why I was a little curious as to why the hub wasn't coming out with quite a bit of force. How much is usually required? I didn't check the bearings until now at 1600 miles so I'm a little worried that the recess is galled to the bearing. Anyone else find the rear hub hard to get out?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yeah, no worries, wasn't offended, I'd think the same thing if someone else were asking. I pulled with as much pressure and wiggled to the point where I was worried the X3 might come off the jack. Next I'll try a slide hammer but I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that. Something's not right. I'll probably be replacing a bearing then. I didn't have time to try the other side yet though.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The hub may be rusted on the axle stub splines. Try soaking it with PB Blaster over night. I would try a 3 jaw puller to get the hub off. That way your not beating on it with a slide hammer. I would also put a little never seize on the splines when you put it back together. Use never seize sparingly as it tends to migrate onto other parts.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The hub may be rusted on the axle stub splines.
Also the OD of the spline snout may be rusted and not sliding out of the bearing inner race.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The hub may be rusted on the axle stub splines. Try soaking it with PB Blaster over night. I would try a 3 jaw puller to get the hub off. That way your not beating on it with a slide hammer. I would also put a little never seize on the splines when you put it back together. Use never seize sparingly as it tends to migrate onto other parts.
Also the OD of the spline snout may be rusted and not sliding out of the bearing inner race.
The axle will move and I hit it with a plastic mallet to get it moving inside of the hub. I'll go puller route next. I'm worried about that inner bearing race. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Yeah I have had to heat up the inside inner race when the bearing came off leaving it behind on my Wildcat. Another one I had to use a hi speed cutoff wheel to split it. After that I started using never seize and it made bearing replacement much easier. It's very seldom dry where I ride so it's inevitable.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I'm worried about that inner bearing race.
You should be, but it's not the race it's the hub snout.
I am greasing my first rear hub right now, and the splines were perfect, but the OD of the hub snout had some gunk build up, which made it difficult to get the hub off.
I was able to gently wiggle and pull it and eventually it came off. I just put the hub on backwards to test the splines and they slid very nicely.
I used a fine scotchbrite to clean up the OD and I will coat it with anti-seize before reassembly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts