Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for new tires for my maverick trail looking for a good tire for mostly hard packed trails. What size and type are people running on their stock rims?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just posted this in another thread. I recently purchased the Tusk Terrabite tires in 27x9x12 all the way around. They keep the Trail close to the 50" width and are getting great reviews on most forums. If you are on Facebook, check out the MT group over there (https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaverickTrail). It is pretty active with lots of info specific to the Maverick Trail.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would recommend a 28" or 29" tire for a Maverick Trail, to try and gain as much ground clearance as you can. 28" and 29" tires that fit on a 12" rim are very limited. If you change to a 14" rim the selection of tires is much better.

A tire that i would recommend for a Maverick Trail that is still running the stock 12" wheels is the ITP Mud Lite XTR in a 27x9R12 size. It is sold as a 27" tire, but the specs say it is actually 28.0" tall.
Mud Lite® XTR - Extreme Terrain Radial Tire (itptires.com) I have used Mud Lite XTR tires on other machines before and they are excellent tires that work well on all terrains, even hard packed trails. I wanted a 28" tire and I did not see that the specs on this 27" tire show it is actually a 28" tire.

I am using 28x9R14 Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 tires, which work well for hardpack, and for trail riding in general. They are a flexible tire that provides a good ride, but they require a 14" wheel. I am using Can Am OEM wheels from a Maverick X3 XRS that are all black beadlock wheels that have the same backspacing and offset as stock Maverick Trail wheels, so overall width of the UTV remains at 50". Since buying these tires I have learned that 29x9R14 Maxxis Bighorn tires will also fit on a Maverick Trail with no tire rub.

If I were to buy tires over again I would get either the 28" tall 27x9R12 Mud Lite XTR, because I really like those tires, and they are tougher than Bighorn tires. Or, if I were to get Bighorn tires again I would get the 29x9R14 size, to gain a little more ground clearance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would recommend a 28" or 29" tire for a Maverick Trail, to try and gain as much ground clearance as you can. 28" and 29" tires that fit on a 12" rim are very limited. If you change to a 14" rim the selection of tires is much better.

A tire that i would recommend for a Maverick Trail that is still running the stock 12" wheels is the ITP Mud Lite XTR in a 27x9R12 size. It is sold as a 27" tire, but the specs say it is actually 28.0" tall.
Mud Lite XTR - Extreme Terrain Radial Tire (itptires.com) I have used Mud Lite XTR tires on other machines before and they are excellent tires that work well on all terrains, even hard packed trails. I wanted a 28" tire and I did not see that the specs on this 27" tire show it is actually a 28" tire.

I am using 28x9R14 Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 tires, which work well for hardpack, and for trail riding in general. They are a flexible tire that provides a good ride, but they require a 14" wheel. I am using Can Am OEM wheels from a Maverick X3 XRS that are all black beadlock wheels that have the same backspacing and offset as stock Maverick Trail wheels, so overall width of the UTV remains at 50". Since buying these tires I have learned that 29x9R14 Maxxis Bighorn tires will also fit on a Maverick Trail with no tire rub.

If I were to buy tires over again I would get either the 28" tall 27x9R12 Mud Lite XTR, because I really like those tires, and they are tougher than Bighorn tires. Or, if I were to get Bighorn tires again I would get the 29x9R14 size, to gain a little more ground clearance.
I’ve thought about upping to a 14 inch rim but just not in the budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm running the Interco Sniper 920 in 27x9x14 that I like a lot. They're also available in 27x9x12.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The GBC Dirt Commander is available in a 28x10x12 (I am not sure about Canada). I was torn between those and the Terrabites. I ended up with the latter because of the DOT rating.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Tusk Terrabite 32-10-14 they are wearing great and no flats. All east coast riding. Hatfield Mcoy 3-4 times a year. Also i ride a shit load or railroad beds. I have 1300 miles on them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts