Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sounds to me like there is something else causing the failures.
If this is for me other than the CV angle and small tune the machine is stock, stock tires ect, flat track, no jumping, ect. I ride the dunes to with paddles with no issues except the CV's heat and pushed grease since day one of buying the thing. I have rebooted, cleaned, and regreased with OEM on each side because of being worried about loosing to much grease prior to this. How many other people run 16" of travel on the rear of a 72"? I'm thinking a lot, also if it was a bad bearing or dragging brakes I would have found it the 3 times I had it apart that day.

·
Premium Member
7,352 Posts
Here's my trouble with the stock ones, the smoked one had 1800 miles and the other had 15min on it after replacing the smoked one. Same riding location and style same day. I put the 3rd cv axle on that day to and it also about popped after 10-15min. I caught it and took it easy before it let go for the rest of the weekend so the trip wasn't ruined. They get to hot melt/pop the boots, why in the hell don't they run a moly grease in these? The grease looks just like the the stuff used in tripod cv joints.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
The first one lasted 1800 miles, then in one day you go through 3? Something happened to cause it that day, that's pretty obvious. Do you have incorrectly adjusted radius rods or some bent stock ones?

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
If this is for me other than the CV angle and small tune the machine is stock, stock tires ect, flat track, no jumping, ect. I ride the dunes to with paddles with no issues except the CV's heat and pushed grease since day one of buying the thing. I have rebooted, cleaned, and regreased with OEM on each side because of being worried about loosing to much grease prior to this. How many other people run 16" of travel on the rear of a 72"? I'm thinking a lot, also if it was a bad bearing or dragging brakes I would have found it the 3 times I had it apart that day.
What do you meant 16” of travel on the rear? You talking about ground clearance from the bottom of the rear skid plate to the ground?

My X3 is set at 16” of ground clearance in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,710 Posts
What do you meant 16” of travel on the rear? You talking about ground clearance from the bottom of the rear skid plate to the ground?

I think just about all X3s that have been to a suspension tuner has at least 16" of ground clearance, if not more.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The first one lasted 1800 miles, then in one day you go through 3? Something happened to cause it that day, that's pretty obvious. Do you have incorrectly adjusted radius rods or some bent stock ones?
Nope they are good, machines never been wrecked or hit anything, it also had a alignment. I've had trouble with the CV's pushing grease since the first day of buying the thing, the other places I ride it is just not rode as hard and they have time to cool off. The sustained load just isn't there like the place I was tearing them up at, I can heat them up at the dunes to and make them push grease.

·
Registered
143 Posts

This what I was meaning, that's why I was thinking it shouldn't be a problem. But apparently the particular style or area I was riding it they cant handle that high of ground clearance. Next time I go there it's getting lowered.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sometimes if you are pushing grease out there is pressure inside the boot. Prior to clamping the CV boots stick a scribe or screwdriver between the axle and boot to let out any pressure built up during installation of the boot. It happens, and that usually fixes the issue unless you have a hole in your boot.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
This what I was meaning, that's why I was thinking it shouldn't be a problem. But apparently the particular style or area I was riding it they cant handle that high of ground clearance. Next time I go there it's getting lowered.
I have run it as high as 17”. I run dunes, desert and Baja.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts