Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my 2014 XRS which is awesome by the way, now I have access to a fuel tank on our farm which is 87 octane, now I have always run this fuel in my can am commander and atvs with no problem but on the maverick fuel cap it says to use 91 octane! What u guys think?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Believe what it tells you. This engine is at 12:1 compression, so yes it's going to need the higher 91 octane grade of fuel. You will never get optimum performance out of it while using 87.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I run 93. The sticker by the filler says 91 or super 95 but I dunno what that is. I wonder if a slight shot of octane boost every fillup would help. Who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I guess we aren't real lucky to get 93 or 95 anywhere around here. I wouldn't suggest using anything below 91. Your performance will be affected. Would you put 87 octane in a ZO6 Corvette? No, same goes with the higher end toys.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
We've been over this before. It rubs really bad due to the 87 octane. It's designed to run on 91. And runs waaaaaaaay better on 91

·
Registered
202 Posts
I can't imagine why you would not spend $2-3 a tank extra to run the good stuff really.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I run vp110 in all of our quads, my dirtbike and the mav. The quads and dirtbike require it due to 13.5:1 compression and higher. I buy it by the barrel and it is just easier to put it in everything and not worry about mixing up fuel jugs. It has no ethanol, and if you can find pump gas in super/ethanol free, that is what you should be running.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
I wish I could find some non ethanol fuel in Commiefornia.

Reactions: chevycraig

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I run 93. The sticker by the filler says 91 or super 95 but I dunno what that is. I wonder if a slight shot of octane boost every fillup would help. Who knows.

its Canada fuel rating RON 95 is 91 us

Wickapedia:
Measurement methods
The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel in a test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing the results with those for mixtures of iso-octane and n-heptane.
There is another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON) or the aviation lean octane rating, which is a better measure of how the fuel behaves when under load. MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, a higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern gasoline will be about 8 to 10 points lower than the RON. Normally fuel specifications require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.
In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane rating, shown on the pump, is the RON, but in the United States, Canada and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, the octane shown in the United States is 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, is 91-92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90-91 US (R+M)/2, and some even deliver 98 (RON) or 100 (RON).
It is possible for a fuel to have a RON greater than 100, because iso-octane is not the most knock-resistant substance available. Racing fuels, AvGas, LPG, and alcohol fuels such as methanol or ethanol can have octane ratings of 110 or significantly higher - ethanol's RON is 129 (MON 102, AKI 116). Typical "octane booster" gasoline additives include tetra-ethyl lead, MTBE and toluene. Tetra-ethyl lead (the additive used in leaded gasoline) is easily decomposed to its component radicals, which react with the radicals from the fuel and oxygen that start the combustion, thereby delaying ignition, leading to an increased octane number.

·
Hickory, NC
2,958 Posts
Ethanol free premium or EFP is what we run here in NC. 93 octane and is right at 4 bucks a gallon
I put it in all my small engines

·
Registered
57 Posts
I run ethanol free super 98 in my commander... Never had any problems jet...

2014 Can-Am Commander XT-P 1000 with some addons...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Shell 93 V Power always!

·
Registered
548 Posts
I used to ride Harleys with a guy that works for the dept of weights and measures. He told me that if you pull up to a pump that has one nozzle for all the grades, the first 4-5 gallons you get out of that pump is going to be whatever grade that was used by the previous customer. He would always wait for someone else in the group to use a pump, then pull in afterwards and fill his bike. Now, I either look for a pump with a nozzle for each grade (almost never see these anymore) or I sitck the first 5 gallons in the truck, then fill my cans and machine. That way the 87 goes in the truck and the 93 goes in the Mav.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just picked up my 2014 XRS which is awesome by the way, now I have access to a fuel tank on our farm which is 87 octane, now I have always run this fuel in my can am commander and atvs with no problem but on the maverick fuel cap it says to use 91 octane! What u guys think?
I have the same exact problem as you, live on the farm and 10 miles to closes pump. Pretty sure in our tank it is only 87 as well... Do what I do, get a couple jugs and go to your airport and get some Av gas. Ive been mixing in about 3 gallons in every tank just to be safe but I think 2 would be plenty since Av is 104 octane. Av is awesome fuel especially for the price, a lot of BS myths out there about it being dry and what not but its all BS, Av is the most regulated fuel in the world.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I actually tried that the same fuel that I used from our race cars,VP 110 and I could tell a noticeable difference in a loss of power. Drag racing against my buddies, it took me a month to get it all burned out, then it came back around .
I run vp110 in all of our quads, my dirtbike and the mav. The quads and dirtbike require it due to 13.5:1 compression and higher. I buy it by the barrel and it is just easier to put it in everything and not worry about mixing up fuel jugs. It has no ethanol, and if you can find pump gas in super/ethanol free, that is what you should be running.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I actually tried that the same fuel that I used from our race cars,VP 110 and I could tell a noticeable difference in a loss of power. Drag racing against my buddies, it took me a month to get it all burned out, then it came back around .
Agreed running more octane then motor was designed for is gonna result in less power IMO

·
Banned
1,017 Posts
I run 93 in mine with a shot of Seafoam

1 - 20 of 38 Posts