Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First oil change by me, I bought my 2018 Maverick Trail 1000 eps from the dealer late last year with just over 300 miles on it, it was a demo unit. I put less than 100 miles on it last year while doing the spring oil changes in all my equipment, I found this on the drain plug magnet.
I bought it with 3 years extended warranty so its going to the dealer first thing Monday.
No signs of any engine issues while running, I am glad I decided to do the oil change, I don't even know if this is the first oil change being that it only had 300 miles when I bought it

IMG_2438.jpg

IMG_2440.jpg

IMG_2441.jpg

IMG_2437.jpg

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
probably to hold a nylon gear on the water pump or oil pump shaft
420232420 Needle Pin
420232431 Needle Pin
I would not run the motor

Reactions: Fasrnu

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For sure looks like a dowel pin. Yep not running it at all since I saw that. I will winch it on the trailer.
Thanks for your input skdoochris.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maverick came home today after just over 2 weeks at the dealer. Official comment from CanAm is "the person at the engine assembly line probably dropped the pin and didn't retrieve it, just installed another on either the water pump or oil pump". The dealer did an oil pressure test and coolant flow test, all good, and engine sounds fine. Also there was no other debris on the drain plug that could indicate damage so thats as far as it goes. They commented that there is plenty of warranty left should something happen.
I don't really know how to take that, but they will not do anything else at this point.
I found out that I did do the first oil change (despite buying this machine from the dealer with 300 miles on it) so it could be that the pin was on the drain plug since new.

My experience with the dealer was less than desirable. It sat at the dealership for just under two weeks before they even looked at it, all communication was initiated by me, and they never called back when they said they would. When I arrived to pick it up it was covered in parking lot dust and had some grime all over the display screen. I raised hell and told them it was brought in clean so their technicians could work on a clean machine and they give it back to me looking like that. They cleaned what looked like duct tape residue off the screen and washed it for me - no pride for the dealer name or CanAm name apparently. Good thing the owner has multiple dealerships and the monopoly on CanAm here...

·
Premium Member
7,869 Posts
Maverick came home today after just over 2 weeks at the dealer. Official comment from CanAm is "the person at the engine assembly line probably dropped the pin and didn't retrieve it, just installed another on either the water pump or oil pump". The dealer did an oil pressure test and coolant flow test, all good, and engine sounds fine. Also there was no other debris on the drain plug that could indicate damage so thats as far as it goes. They commented that there is plenty of warranty left should something happen.
I don't really know how to take that, but they will not do anything else at this point.
I found out that I did do the first oil change (despite buying this machine from the dealer with 300 miles on it) so it could be that the pin was on the drain plug since new.

My experience with the dealer was less than desirable. It sat at the dealership for just under two weeks before they even looked at it, all communication was initiated by me, and they never called back when they said they would. When I arrived to pick it up it was covered in parking lot dust and had some grime all over the display screen. I raised hell and told them it was brought in clean so their technicians could work on a clean machine and they give it back to me looking like that. They cleaned what looked like duct tape residue off the screen and washed it for me - no pride for the dealer name or CanAm name apparently. Good thing the owner has multiple dealerships and the monopoly on CanAm here...
Sounds status quo for any powersports dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
I was gonna say spare parts

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Was goona say I guess you’ve never dealt with dealers. I bed your machine sat outside for 2 wks also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 x3 turbo
12 Posts
That's why I drive 2 1/2 hours to a dealership I know and trust. Unfortunately they seem to be few and far between.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts