Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I want to know what is the best air filter to use instead of the stock air filter. I know there is the Airraid and K&N and the Uni. But would like to know what is the best and I do t want to replace the box. Thanks for your help..

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Air filters always seem to cause a big debate over whihc type is BEST. So it really may come down to which is best for your type of riding conditions. You have also stated that you want to keep the factory airbox. So maybe the best is the foam BRP replacement filter and keep the 2 stage filtering process. I prefer oiled foam filters for super dusty conditions and stopping the most amount of particles.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i use the oem one and clean it every ride, i was told by the dealer that the factory two stage filter stops the most contaminants from getting in your engine. I'm sure its not the best option hp wise.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
The issue with the stock airbox is the lack of adequate sealing around the primary filter. So no matter how good of a filter you put in, it will still pull air from around the primary filter. So ALWAYS make sure you run your post filter. You will see how much dirt it actually catches! I think the stock setup filters great only because of the post filter. So just make sure you inspect and clean the post filter as needed and you will be good to go.

Also, don't think that throwing in a K&N or other filter that you are going to increase airflow to the engine......the restriction is in the inlet pipe and the post filter. So there is no real benefit to changing your filter....

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Also, don't think that throwing in a K&N or other filter that you are going to increase airflow to the engine......the restriction is in the inlet pipe and the post filter. So there is no real benefit to changing your filter....
Good point.
You can also use some grease on the seal of the OEM filter to help stop some of the dirt that gets by the seal.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Good point.
You can also use some grease on the seal of the OEM filter to help stop some of the dirt that gets by the seal.
I tried that and didn't notice any difference as my post filter was still very dirty after one ride......I do live in the desert though and the dust is like silt....(very fine particles) so it may just be that the stock primary filter can't stop particles this small....

I am running the TurnKey Race intake with the K&N now and haven't noticed any dust getting past the filter but it hasn't been too dry out since I installed it so I will probably not be able to tell how well it filters until next spring/summer when it dries out again and the dusty conditions return. I may switch to a dual stage foam filter if the K&N doesn't do the job.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Thanks for the help guys!! What do you guys think about a Uni filter?
I like them. I like the ones that come with a thin foam prefilter that goes over the main foam filter

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I like them. I like the ones that come with a thin foam prefilter that goes over the main foam filter
X2...UniFilter makes good stuff. So does TwinAir and AFE.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Can Am also sells a prefilter screen that installs below the glove box in the passenger compartment if you want additional protection. I had some sand collecting in the water drain of the air intake after riding for 2 days in the dunes.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I would go with the twin air .. Wasn't they a lot of uni's not dealing properly on the commanders?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Yea I do remember a few people on this forum commenting that the Unifilter was having issues not sealing properly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts