Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

If this has been discussed before please point me to the link.

How are people breaking the stock clutches??

Wide open throttle?

Long climbs?

In the rocks or mud?

Sharp impacts like comming off a jump?

I am wondering if there is a correlation with those who have broken their stock set ups.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,
Vance

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
if anything its the bolt that holds the clutch on . the clutch is designed to slip and to much slip under hard load will break the bolt,

if anything hard riding or not using low gear when needed u will burn a belt,

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Benzo! I knew about the bolt and was wondering more as to what guys were doing/how they were driving when thier clutch broke. I apreciate the input !!

Vance

·
Registered
65 Posts
my bolt broke on the primary, i was in sandy hard pack mix, turning right with throttle mashed to the floor (like it always is lol) and bang, it was all over. 114 miles

·
Registered
189 Posts
The clutches aren't blowing up rather its the belts slipping and blowing. Clutch damaged is due to the bolt breaking off.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The outter sheave slips on the inner sheave due to the 2 peice design of the stock clutch. As the outter sheave slips it tightens the clutch bolt and eventuallyleads to the bolt shearing andcausing the primary to go flying. The blown belts can be attributed to this as well as not being in low gear when needed or also to big of tires for the stock clutch. If you can find all the different threads in here about the blown clutches, one thing u will find is there were all kinds of different scenarios going on when they blew. NNothing can be pin pointed as far as driving style. The after market clutches 2 sheaves are locked together, thats why they eliminate the clutch slinging and belt blowing issues.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
The outter sheave slips on the inner sheave due to the 2 peice design of the stock clutch. As the outter sheave slips it tightens the clutch bolt and eventuallyleads to the bolt shearing andcausing the primary to go flying. The blown belts can be attributed to this as well as not being in low gear when needed or also to big of tires for the stock clutch. If you can find all the different threads in here about the blown clutches, one thing u will find is there were all kinds of different scenarios going on when they blew. NNothing can be pin pointed as far as driving style. The after market clutches 2 sheaves are locked together, thats why they eliminate the clutch slinging and belt blowing issues.
Very well said, and 100% correct!

·
Registered
329 Posts
For example: the mention above hard throttle and mine blew with a medium throttle, straight take off in hard sandy soil.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
For example: the mention above hard throttle and mine blew with a medium throttle, straight take off in hard sandy soil.
what were u doing 5-10-15 minutes b4 the belt blew? medium driving down the trail normal the whole time and it just blew ?

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
With a canam clutch you have to be on the throttle on take off or on slow tech trails its like a on or off switch you can't be in the middle or you will slip the belt

·
Registered
292 Posts
While I was riding yesterday I ran across a mav broke down.The guys secondary bolt had backed out and the secondary came off. He said he only had 3 hours on it. needless to say this guys memorial weekend was ruined.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've had good luck with my clutch so far. Over 400 miles, only problem I've had us belt gets hot n slips, my buddy on the other hand, bolt backed out clutch blew apart at 59 miles, took it to the dealer, went to the dunes straight from the dealer after repair, broke it again. I'm having the same dealer check mine, hope they don't jinx mine!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts