Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

61 - 63 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The answer to the mediocre performance of the iPad and most tablet GPS chip is a remote antenna. I use Bad Elf (feel free to Google) and have for many years, mostly in aviation applications where more precise locating is necessary. Since I now use it in the car, it has been hands-down better than the installed unit. There are a few others that work well also but the Bad Elf fits in your pocket and typically shows accuracy around 14ft and less when there is a WAAS facility nearby. It syncs to the iPad through Bluetooth and a full charge will last more than 8 hours of continuous use.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I've had good luck with my Dual Electronics XGPS160. Its a few bucks less than the bad elf, lasts over 8 hours, connects up to 5 devices at a time, and refreshed 10x per second. That being said unless I'm racing the accuracy and refresh rate of the built in GPS on my cellular ipad is plenty good enough.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
That is also a good option. I have been in situations where the GPS chip in a tablet or phone failed to give position information at all when the Bad Elf never missed a beat. I’ve also seen where the refresh rate on a tablet or phone lagged behind to the point trail turn-offs were missed, especially when cruising at 50+ down a rural highway to get to a trailhead. Just my experience. Some of the deeper canyons in the desert can be rough to get any signal, GPS, Radio, or otherwise.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts