Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Bodyguard - late to the party after 2 weeks of riding northern AZ with no internet service to speak of. I use 2 apps for best coverage. Primary is GAIA, secondary is AVENZA. I use it on an iPad mounted with RAM. My iPad is Wi-Fi only and I use the Bad Elf GPS puck for signal. I’ve used it for years in aviation and it will typically give you accuracy within 13 feet when other systems fail to give decent accuracy. It is Bluetooth to your tablet with a battery life over 8 hours.

GAIA - ability to plan routes on your desktop at home and automatically sync to your tablet, lots of basemaps to choose from, including FS MVUM. You can create detailed areas from Google Earth and use that as a base map also. Very functional and reasonably priced. One yearly subscription and that’s it
AVENZA - Preferred app for US Gov’t mapping. Very accurate georeferenced PDF For simple navigation. Many of the maps are free and the app is free. Modest cost for excellent maps from many sources. Downside, no pre-plan ability but an inexpensive secondary basic navigation app.

I prefer, like you, to utilize equipment for multiple tasks and since I use my iPad for aviation and home use, it works just fine for off-road navigation.

LeadNav is probably the best system out there right now, especially if you like real-time tracking with a group, etc but priced out of my budget. Requires externally mounted antenna and some proprietary equipment but if I were running Baja or any of the serious courses I would invest.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Gaia in an iPad mini for reasons listed above. I carry a Garmin hand held as back up. After many thousands of miles and hundreds of hours I’ve not needed it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I run the lowrance in the ultra 4 , as Mega said if you can find a cheap used one , you won't be disappointed
For pre running outside of the race truck I download the Avenza map on my iPhone , works great as well

41 - 44 of 44 Posts