Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Hey Bodyguard, I can only speak for my experience. I use an I pad mini (in the tablet holder) with Gaia.
I love it, as it syncs with my I phone as well and I see all my past ride history as well as overlay all sorts of maps to search out new rides. As long as your iPad has capability for cell service it works off line. I learned that the hard way as only ipads that have cell capability have the GPS. You don’t need cell service for it to work though.
You can use an older (non-cell) Ipad along with something like a Garmin Glo GPS receiver over Bluetooth. Its not much bigger than a pack of gum and is a REAL GPS receiver that picks up way more satellites and updates much quicker than the built-in.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ive been looking at all this as well. I like the Lawrence hardware but mapping options are very limited especially for me in Canada.

·
Registered
38 Posts
you WILL NOT have any decent reception without an external GPS antenna.
agreed 100000%. I run the dual xgps 160 by skypro. Best invenstment you get both bands of satellites and connect to 50 instead of 1. You can set your ping to 10 per second if you choose. Running the stock iPad or even iPhone is a waste. You can connect 4 devices to it at once and is rated for aviation so no risk of outrunning it if breadcrumbing. It’s nice to have smooth lines instead of zigs and zags when you go back and look.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Avenza Maps on my IPad Mini. Totally awsome. The app is free and 95% of the maps are free. You do have to have the I Pad that is cellular capable because it has the GPS antenna. But you DO NOT need celluar service for the app to work. Im out west with shit loads of BLM land and National forests to ride so we just download the free Motor Vehicle Usage Maps for the areas we ride and they have all the trails on them. The app tracks you on the maps and you drop pins to mark spots. You can also download it on your phone. Attached a screen shot of a map from the Black Hills in SD as an example.
Capture.PNG

·
Registered
584 Posts
Its amazing those $100 tablets have such good GPS. Lol
It is, been all over the Sierra's, tall mountains, tall trees, deep canyons and never lost coverage.
Kinda like how an rtic cooler works just as good as a yeti at half the price.
If someone races the Lawrence might be worth the extra money but for most of us a tab works great.

Op
I like Gaia, I had trouble figuring out BCN

·
Registered
584 Posts
A couple years ago people were talking the Magellan tr7 up, now I hardly ever see it mentioned, was it a bad unit?

·
Administrator
2,350 Posts
It is, been all over the Sierra's, tall mountains, tall trees, deep canyons and never lost coverage.
Kinda like how an rtic cooler works just as good as a yeti at half the price.
If someone races the Lawrence might be worth the extra money but for most of us a tab works great.

Op
I like Gaia, I had trouble figuring out BCN
We've been in Cali, Az, Nv, Id, Or, and Utah using an 8" Samsung Tab A using BCN in the last 6 years and have never, ever lost coverage with it. I have a new tablet awaiting to use from now on and hope it works just as well..

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
A couple years ago people were talking the Magellan tr7 up, now I hardly ever see it mentioned, was it a bad unit?
I use both the TRX7 and an Android tablet with the updated BCNXE. The TRX7 is simpler to use and much more reliable than the Back County Navigator XE. Again, the Magellan is limited by missing trails on it's base map. I may be 60 miles from camp in northern NV and run across a locked gate or private property. The tablet app allows me to switch to a satellite view so I can find my way around.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
The gps chips in your phone or tablet are adequate for most of our usage. They could be improved but most of us have an old tablet or phone that works for free.

the issue is the apps / maps. In the last 6 mo I've been to WI, WV, TN, IN, IL, and CO. I have downloaded and worked with virtually every app available for ios. None are independently sufficient. All will record your tracks, and most can upload maps. But you will often lose the color coding, waypoint descriptions etc.

Polaris ride command attempted to be a single app for all trails but it stopped working well a year or so ago. I believe there is some serious $ to be made if someone developed and maintained an app that could be a go to for all riding areas. No uploading maps, or apps crashing, etc. The maintenance would be the hardest part as trails change annually, and many are managed locally.

A dealer in WI told me BRP is launching something like this in the fall.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an 8" Samsung Tab A (any Android tablet with GPS and an SD card slot will work) in my device holder and installed OruxMaps GP and bought a VVMapping SD card for it ($40 at vvmapping.com). The card I bought includes maps for MN, WI and MI trails (other areas are available). Works great.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have an 8" Samsung Tab A (any Android tablet with GPS and an SD card slot will work) in my device holder and installed OruxMaps GP and bought a VVMapping SD card for it ($40 at vvmapping.com). The card I bought includes maps for MN, WI and MI trails (other areas are available). Works great.
Thanks for clarifying. Yes, the app i described above exists on android. Unfortunately, 54% of americans are on ios (myself included).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. Yes, the app i described above exists on android. Unfortunately, 54% of americans are on ios (myself included).
The guy who developed VVMapping is working on an app for IOS tablets, but it's not done yet. He just released the Android version not too long ago. Before that it was only available on certain Garmin models. Keep an eye on his website for updates on IOS.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good to know. Will it cover nationwide?

I'm tired of spending hrs searching the web every time I ride somewhere new.

·
Registered
15 Posts
VVMapping.com
You can look at all he has to offer there.
This is what I found, but I didn't need more, so I didn't look any further.
Great Lakes ORV Trails (MI, MN, WI, IN)
Appalachia ORV Trails (WV, KY, VA, TN, OH, NC, SC)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Osmand 2.9 app with Microsoft Hybrid map underlay (free), then Backwoods GPS Trails overlay (purchased Northeast). Some of the features include POI, favorites, map markers, speed, altitude, trip recording, and turn by turn navigation to name a few. Been running offline GPS with a Galaxy Tab A 8" and now Galaxy Active Pro 10.1" with no issues at all. Red line is main corridor of Ride the Wilds, yellow are club trails, zooming in shows trail names. Also have a bunch of music loaded, stream tunes through RR 696 intercom system 🤘🤘 View attachment 257078
The Burg! :cool:

·
Registered
81 Posts
just updated to Osmand 3.7 😁

Think someone mentioned who wants to listen to old music??? Well, got 64 gig of new and old music loaded on a 512 gig micro sd card, no risk of running out of tunes here..........lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm using the same set up. Working fine for me. I also bought the printed maps for trip planning.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts