Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the Backcountry Pro navigation app currently, but it freezes up at times and is not the most user friendly to use when you haven't used it in a few months. I was wondering what the best navigation app to use is now. I have heard that Backcountry Pro is a bit outdated, since company hasn't done any updates to it in 3 years. I want an app that uses GPS and not cell connection to use and is pretty simple to operate. I will be using a Galaxy Tab E to put the app on, in case that has any merit to the equation. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Yes, I did a search on this forum first, but it seems that the info was from a few years ago, so the recommended apps may have changed in the past few years.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Using Gaia premium subscription app ($150 for 5yr) with a Garmin Glo GPS receiver ($100) and Ipad mini(stole it from my kid...) The ability to overlay all kinds of different maps in Gaia is pretty sweet. Can even overlay cell phone coverage maps for all the major providers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Osmand 2.9 app with Microsoft Hybrid map underlay (free), then Backwoods GPS Trails overlay (purchased Northeast). Some of the features include POI, favorites, map markers, speed, altitude, trip recording, and turn by turn navigation to name a few. Been running offline GPS with a Galaxy Tab A 8" and now Galaxy Active Pro 10.1" with no issues at all. Red line is main corridor of Ride the Wilds, yellow are club trails, zooming in shows trail names. Also have a bunch of music loaded, stream tunes through RR 696 intercom system 🤘🤘
Active Pro (2).JPG

Reactions: PJsxsX3

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
If I read the OP correctly, they have the hardware and are asking for recommendations on apps, not single purpose hardware.
good for you coloring inside the lines. I however suggested an out of the box thinking with an alternative to their situation.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
im calling you out. Show me cheaper and better. Lowrance is a GPS land or water, built for being outside in sun glare, water and dust, super simple to operate, accepts premade routes by way of SD card.
Can we all agree these different types/brands of GPS units all function in a similar manner? You can plan a route on Google Earth or some other source, convert this route to a .gpx file and load it onto the GPS. All will track where you've been; can mark and store waypoints etc. The main difference is the user interface and the base map. This is where the tablet apps excel. I have never found a single map which has every trail on it. With a touch of a button I can switch to upwards of 15 different maps, as long as I've downloaded it or have cell service on the tablet. The tablet also stores all my music to play through my intercom, much better than a fish finder. 🐠

Reactions: inxs

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Can we all agree these different types/brands of GPS units all function in a similar manner? You can plan a route on Google Earth or some other source, convert this route to a .gpx file and load it onto the GPS. All will track where you've been; can mark and store waypoints etc. The main difference is the user interface and the base map. This is where the tablet apps excel. I have never found a single map which has every trail on it. With a touch of a button I can switch to upwards of 15 different maps, as long as I've downloaded it or have cell service on the tablet. The tablet also stores all my music to play through my intercom, much better than a fish finder. 🐠
Lowrance does that too with Google earth, you know what else it does? Shows you ALL the trails in a geographic are when you buy a card from PCI Race radios. No need to search, download, convert and upload its already there. And dealing with loading music to a tablet just to connect it to your communication radio? who listens to old music? Live streaming through phone or Satellitle radio is the cats meow.

Now where that fella who sayS cheaper and better, what happened to him?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lowrance does that too with Google earth, you know what else it does? Shows you ALL the trails in a geographic are when you buy a card from PCI Race radios. No need to search, download, convert and upload its already there. And dealing with loading music to a tablet just to connect it to your communication radio? who listens to old music? Live streaming through phone or Satellitle radio is the cats meow.

Now where that fella who sayS cheaper and better, what happened to him?
Not sitting on the forum all day is what I was doing lmao. Cheap tablet, ram mount, gaia, onx, leadnav, google maps, etc. Anyone who has ever used mapping software knows that even offroad specific stuff hardly shows any trails actually out there. I'd rather have satellite imagery of the area I'm going to. Guess you can group me into the poor people that don't want a satellite downlink for music and would rather blow their money on something besides a low resolution GPS system hahaha

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Not sitting on the forum all day is what I was doing lmao. Cheap tablet, ram mount, gaia, onx, leadnav, google maps, etc. Anyone who has ever used mapping software knows that even offroad specific stuff hardly shows any trails actually out there. I'd rather have satellite imagery of the area I'm going to. Guess you can group me into the poor people that don't want a satellite downlink for music and would rather blow their money on something besides a low resolution GPS system hahaha
All that sure sound like more than $300, did you break into your wife’s purse for extra money?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Bodyguard, I can only speak for my experience. I use an I pad mini (in the tablet holder) with Gaia.
I love it, as it syncs with my I phone as well and I see all my past ride history as well as overlay all sorts of maps to search out new rides. As long as your iPad has capability for cell service it works off line. I learned that the hard way as only ipads that have cell capability have the GPS. You don’t need cell service for it to work though.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts