Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Maverick MAX XRS Turbo RR (PIAA Cubes f/r, roof rack, sliders, push bar, winch, Hella spots)
23 Posts
"Wifesbane"

·
Registered
57 Posts
last year on a group ride i saw an X3 with a sticker on it sayin' "Mud Slut".. not sure if he was talking about himself, or his machine though..

·
Registered
292 Posts
seen a post like this one before. and it is funny. it does seem to be regional. before joining the forum, i only heard them called sxs. which is what i call it or the maverick. agree with others it is most definitely NOT a bike. bike (short for bicycle) means 2 wheels, like unicycle means 1 wheel, tricycle means 3 wheels, atvs were called quads - see the pattern? and yes some of the very first 4 wheel "cars" were called a quadricycle. ..................At approximately 4:00 a.m. on June 4, 1896, in the shed behind his home on Bagley Avenue in Detroit, Henry Ford unveils the “Quadricycle,” the first automobile he ever designed or drove. ..................

·
Premium Member
6,764 Posts
I think the term "car" comes from so many of us that are duners being around Sand Cars.

We tend to think of buggies as less powerful, low suspension travel sand rail or glass buggy type machines.

When I think off road Car I think long travel and a potent motor.

That's why I typically say "car", but sometimes SXS.

But NEVER
4 willer with a sturin will. 😂

Tim

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Confusion in this world comes in many forms.

Bike "a vehicle with two wheels tandem, handlebars for steering, a saddle seat, and pedals by which it is propelled" I get it with a motorcycle but don't know why anything that has more or less than 2 wheels is called a "bike".
Have friends that still refer to their quads as a "bike". They got me started and quickly stopped realizing how ridiculous it was. I believe my insurance policy is under motorcycle??

Now as far as these vehicles go looks like they open themselves up to a number of nouns:

SXS "There are two standards published by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) for side-by-sides. ANSI/OPEI B71.9-2016 sets standards for multipurpose off-highway utility vehicles (MOHUV) specifically intended for utility use which are intended to transport persons and cargo, have a non-straddle seat, are designed to travel on four or more wheels, use a steering wheel and pedals for controls, have a top speed of at least 25 mph (40.2 km/h), are 2030 mm (80 in) or less in overall width, have a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of no more than 1814 kg (4000 lb), and with a minimum cargo capacity of 159 kg (350 lb).[2] ANSI/ROHVA 1-2016 sets standards for recreational off-highway vehicles as having speed capability greater than 30 MPH (48 km/h), GVWR no greater than 1700 kg (3750 lbs), and engine displacement equal to or less than 1,000cc (61 cubic inches) for gasoline fueled engines."

UTV Utility Task Vehicle or Utility Terrain Vehicle. The more common name is side by side (you can add the hyphens if you want) and a more obscure name is a ROV or Recreational Off highway Vehicle

ATV (why not, actually one of the best descriptions) "All terrain vehicle"

Four Wheeler "a vehicle with four wheels"

Machine "an apparatus using or applying mechanical power and having several parts, each with a definite function and together performing a particular task."

Sand Car (I guess when with sand tires) A sandrail, or sand rail, or rail, is a lightweight off-road motor vehicle specifically built for traveling in sandy terrain. Similar in some respects and often mistakenly referred to as a dune buggy or sand car, a sandrail is a different type of specialty vehicle.

Car "a road vehicle, typically with four wheels, powered by an internal combustion engine and able to carry a small number of people."

4X4 "refers to a two-axled vehicle drivetrain capable of providing torque to all of its wheels simultaneously. It may be full-time or on-demand"

Buggy (by Webster definition) "a small cart or truck for short transportation's of heavy materials" or A dune buggy — also known as a beach buggy — is a recreational motor vehicle with large wheels, and wide tires , designed for use on sand dunes, beaches, or desert recreation.

Rig "an apparatus, device, or piece of equipment designed for a particular purpose."

now....

Sled?? Not sure how this would be considered " snowmobiles and jet boats are called sleds and they don't have to have any certain helm or hull configuration to be considered a sled. Hence Jet Sled = boat with Jet Pump"

·
Premium Member
7,442 Posts
seen a post like this one before. and it is funny. it does seem to be regional. before joining the forum, i only heard them called sxs. which is what i call it or the maverick. agree with others it is most definitely NOT a bike. bike (short for bicycle) means 2 wheels, like unicycle means 1 wheel, tricycle means 3 wheels, atvs were called quads - see the pattern? and yes some of the very first 4 wheel "cars" were called a quadricycle. ..................At approximately 4:00 a.m. on June 4, 1896, in the shed behind his home on Bagley Avenue in Detroit, Henry Ford unveils the “Quadricycle,” the first automobile he ever designed or drove. ..................
This! Its not a fucking bike, it has 4 wheels. Uni, bi, tri, quad, its called a pattern and fucking common sense.

·
Premium Member
9,981 Posts
This! Its not a fucking bike, it has 4 wheels. Uni, bi, tri, quad, its called a pattern and fucking common sense.
Seriously, I don't understand why you can't express your feelings?

Holding it in is not healthy!

·
Premium Member
2019 x3 Xds R
248 Posts
I’m good with what ever you guys call them. Not trying to get shot at a trail head over what you call your x3.

·
Registered
2019 maverick trail 1000. 5-2 offset wheels. 27 inch tires. Roof. Mirrors. Full windshield.
172 Posts

Bike "a vehicle with two wheels tandem, handlebars for steering, a saddle seat, and pedals by which it is propelled" I get it with a motorcycle but don't know why anything that has more or less than 2 wheels is called a "bike".
Have friends that still refer to their quads as a "bike". They got me started and quickly stopped realizing how ridiculous it was. I believe my insurance policy is under motorcycle??

Now as far as these vehicles go looks like they open themselves up to a number of nouns:

SXS "There are two standards published by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) for side-by-sides. ANSI/OPEI B71.9-2016 sets standards for multipurpose off-highway utility vehicles (MOHUV) specifically intended for utility use which are intended to transport persons and cargo, have a non-straddle seat, are designed to travel on four or more wheels, use a steering wheel and pedals for controls, have a top speed of at least 25 mph (40.2 km/h), are 2030 mm (80 in) or less in overall width, have a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of no more than 1814 kg (4000 lb), and with a minimum cargo capacity of 159 kg (350 lb).[2] ANSI/ROHVA 1-2016 sets standards for recreational off-highway vehicles as having speed capability greater than 30 MPH (48 km/h), GVWR no greater than 1700 kg (3750 lbs), and engine displacement equal to or less than 1,000cc (61 cubic inches) for gasoline fueled engines."

UTV Utility Task Vehicle or Utility Terrain Vehicle. The more common name is side by side (you can add the hyphens if you want) and a more obscure name is a ROV or Recreational Off highway Vehicle

Machine "an apparatus using or applying mechanical power and having several parts, each with a definite function and together performing a particular task."

Sand Car (I guess when with sand tires) A sandrail, or sand rail, or rail, is a lightweight off-road motor vehicle specifically built for traveling in sandy terrain. Similar in some respects and often mistakenly referred to as a dune buggy or sand car, a sandrail is a different type of specialty vehicle.

Car "a road vehicle, typically with four wheels, powered by an internal combustion engine and able to carry a small number of people."

4X4 "refers to a two-axled vehicle drivetrain capable of providing torque to all of its wheels simultaneously. It may be full-time or on-demand"

Buggy (by Webster definition) "a small cart or truck for short transportation's of heavy materials" or A dune buggy — also known as a beach buggy — is a recreational motor vehicle with large wheels, and wide tires , designed for use on sand dunes, beaches, or desert recreation.

Rig "an apparatus, device, or piece of equipment designed for a particular purpose."

now....

Sled?? Not sure how this would be considered " snowmobiles and jet boats are called sleds and they don't have to have any certain helm or hull configuration to be considered a sled. Hence Jet Sled = boat with Jet Pump"
T.M.I.. Holy $#!t. Now I'm confused. It's not a bike. It's not a car. It's not a buggy. If it's a sport model it wouldn't even be a side by side. I guess I'll just call mine " the Mav". But I'm never gonna talk about anyone elses powerful thingy, simply because I don't want to be misunderstood.

·
Registered
35 Posts

now....

you sir need to exit quarantine!...o_O:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
you sir need to exit quarantine!...o_O:ROFLMAO:
Correct, I haven't been in sand since last September! :oops:

T.M.I.. Holy $#!t. Now I'm confused. It's not a bike. It's not a car. It's not a buggy. If it's a sport model it wouldn't even be a side by side. I guess I'll just call mine " the Mav". But I'm never gonna talk about anyone elses powerful thingy, simply because I don't want to be misunderstood.
lol....
I just had to go by "the book" as described.
Now whatever you find to be "fitting" is your gig! 😉

By a defined general description it really falls more under the "ATV" category :unsure:
I'll still call it a buggy or when in sand, sand car, when on rock, rock crawler, dirt, off road machine.... Mostly? "The Can Am"

I think most of us can strongly agree, it's NOT a "Bike"!

Hell IDK! 🤣

·
Registered
2019 maverick trail 1000. 5-2 offset wheels. 27 inch tires. Roof. Mirrors. Full windshield.
172 Posts
You guys keep dancing around the obvious

MONEY PIT

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Yeah, that or S.O.B. are probably the most common.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It's no more a F'n RZR than it is a F'n bike. Lol. Just figured I'd beat y'all to the punch.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts