Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1921 - 1940 of 2072 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Catch can, that reminds me I have one somewhere to install still, along with some cabin lights, alarm, trailer lights and other stuff I’ll do when not 110 in my garage. I did find my rattle that I thought was my axle, sure enough it’s the sway bar clamps on that side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,195 Posts
New bearings and radial joints installed . Really need a press for this but managed with buying a bearing removal kit.

This kit and my Milwaukee impact got the bearings out. I put them in with a ratchet on ether end and went slow making sure it wasn't crooked.

I needed to make the right size sleeve to get the radial joint in . Sacrificed a handle for my tool box I never used. It was close and with a little massaging worked out good.

I just hammered them in .
Now after needing a press a few times for this car I think I'll finally get one.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Got the new front diff in today,was way easier then expected.Maybe a 3-4 hour job with taking your time

Reactions: Send_It

·
Premium Member
14,609 Posts
Reactions: NAZ

·
Registered
307 Posts
are the factory nerf bars on a 2018 xrs strong enough lift one side of the car like that ? If so I would make something like that for my x3 thnx for any info,

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,767 Posts
are the factory nerf bars on a 2018 xrs strong enough lift one side of the car like that ? If so I would make something like that for my x3 thnx for any info,
I would hope so. Be pretty gay if it bent just high centering a rock.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I read some thread a while back & some one said something about the bars not strong enough to lift the car with so made me wonder.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I read some thread a while back & some one said something about the bars not strong enough to lift the car with so made me wonder.
I can't say for sure. But I would be pissed if they bent from that lol.

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Turbo RR
333 Posts
Don't know how strong they are but you could use a floor jack and carefully lift and watch closely for any indication of bending. I fabricated my nerf bars and had intended to use them as a jacking point.

I used some 60's vintage VW Bug cast steel jack parts that I modified so I could use a larger diameter 4130 heavy wall tube for the strut. The strut started at 48" and I finally settled on 36" which is about a foot longer than needed to lift the tires off the ground. I fabricated a cradle on the lifting mecanism that fits the 1.5" diameter 4130 tubing that I made the nerf bars out of so it steadies the jack for and aft while allowing it to move radially as the jack lifts the buggy. Simple design that jacks up fairly fast and releases instantly when finished.

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
900 Posts
A road car and offroad car are very different. Check out 90% of the BITD utvs, class 1, 6100, trophy trucks.....all have spares behind the rear axle. While weight balance is incredibly important, without a ton of fab work there is no: "ideal" bolt on solution. This wont be for everyone obviously. Rear departure angle is affected as well. But for the desert crowd, this works great. We've tested many variations of this design and have been happy with the weight balance in the high speed whoops we ride here
I ended up contacting ST. They more or less said I was wrong about roll center and it was a non issue. Their current race car has the spare mounted pretty far behind the axle too. They did say they thought spring rates and valving would need to change to keep the car's pervious performance but the same is true for every spare tire mount. I didn't mean to crap on your project and would like to apologize. Your other products looks high quality and I have no doubt this will turn out the same.

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Turbo RR
333 Posts
I ended up contacting ST. They more or less said I was wrong about roll center and it was a non issue. Their current race car has the spare mounted pretty far behind the axle too. They did say they thought spring rates and valving would need to change to keep the car's pervious performance but the same is true for every spare tire mount. I didn't mean to crap on your project and would like to apologize. Your other products looks high quality and I have no doubt this will turn out the same.
From your previous post I got the feeling that you didn't completely understand roll center but you're not that wrong about the fact that the effect of roll center is still active in off-road vehicles. Physics is not suspended when we travel off-road and ALL the suspension geometry that comes into play on asphalt cars is still in effect on our off-road vehicles. But the nature of the terrain we travel on makes some of these nuances less of an impact when compared to an asphalt car.

I have quite a bit of experience tuning race car suspensions, both asphalt and dirt track and have designed a few over the last half-century. Everything about a race car is a compromise and my latest build (an X3 intended for desert racing) is no exception. There's not much room in these vehicles to store things like spare tires and with a high center of gravity you are hesitant to attach them any higher than absolutely necessary. So a compromise is to store them hanging off the rear and that's what I did, rear mounted and as low as practical. But that also affects handling due to a concept we call polar moment. Hanging that weight that far from the center of gravity tends to make the car's rear want to yaw due to momentum and when traction is reduced, this can make it very difficult to keep the car from fishtailing. Too much of that and you will eventually loose it and spin the car.

So your instincts are correct, hanging a tire off the rear is not the best way to make a car handle. But since everything is a compromise, this is sometimes the least negative path to take.

While Justin is a sharp guy and I mostly agree with him, there are times when he explains things that I believe he short cuts the discussion and doesn't give all the detaills. Perhaps that's packaging the message to the audience. But it leaves me wanting to jump in a say "but if...".

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
900 Posts
While Justin is a sharp guy and I mostly agree with him, there are times when he explains things that I believe he short cuts the discussion and doesn't give all the detaills. Perhaps that's packaging the message to the audience. But it leaves me wanting to jump in a say "but if...".
I think we tend to rely on ST because they're the most visible, open, and accessible. I suspect if you were to pin Justin down he'd admit it is easier (and more beneficial) to speak in simplistic absolutes than provide the infinite trade-offs, compromises, and options. Mounting the spare tire to floor pan in the middle of the wheelbase isn't possible so here we are.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
And then on the flip side it is beneficial and desirable to have a spare hanging off the rear on a car with short trailing arms.

In the bed would be ideal on X3 but you have to work around its design and your uses. So is what it is on an individual basis.

1921 - 1940 of 2072 Posts