Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1821 - 1840 of 2018 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XDS RR, 2019 Sport 1000R
2,030 Posts
Even had a passenger along for the ride. Man I hate mud. Thankfully we don't see it as much here in Northern AZ as when I lived in Alabama.
I don't see it much either. Almost all my driving is on hard pack and rocky hard pack. Any water crossing is usually clean with rock bottom. Thick forested areas with hills and valleys.

That day was in a flat farmland area of the Provence.

2nd time I've been to that general area. 90 minutes with the pressure washer just to get the worst of it of, and took mud home I my ass crack. Never again lol...

·
Registered
711 Posts
Great feedback on the Rack! I would sell my car if my only options were those conditions,,,, That pic of your front suspension is my version of Hell.:cautious:

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
Got the ST rack installed. After using it, never would I own one of these machines without it again.

Its a MASSIVE upgrade to the handling of the car. ZERO feedback in the wheel. You can pound rocks and ruts in a hard corner and the wheel does not move in the least even with a 5/2 offset. Car is far more predictable. Far more stable. Hard acceleration is pin straight. No more fighting the Trail Active mode when driving the piss out of it on logging type roads etc.

ST included their new 3 way adjustable BSD kit with the tie rod kit. Stock I had 1.5" bump steer and now it's 1/4". I can get it to virtually 0 bump steer as the rack has adjustments in 1/4" increments.

Even though I went from the slower 2020+ steering ratio to the quicker ratio on older models it still feels like I have more power steering than I did before.

I could go on and on. This is a no brainer must have upgrade no question about it. Expensive but totally worth it imo. People have that much $ tied up in lights or stereos, so...

View attachment 271096 View attachment 271097

Notice the shims I needed on the passenger side to keep the rack mounted perfectly straight. Goes to show how inconsistent the chassis are, and how binded and twisted the stock rack would be when tightened down.

Definitely without question the biggest improvement I have done for driveability of the car. The stock racks are a JOKE!!! Totally new car now. I would spend the $ again no doubt about it.
The bump steer kit you installed was likely the reason the car was more predictable and you were not fighting the steering wheel. What did you set your front alignment too? These cars seem to like toe in.

Too bad you put on the steering rack at the same time.

I had a bump steer kit on my old X3. It helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
The bump steer kit you installed was likely the reason the car was more predictable and you were not fighting the steering wheel. What did you set your front alignment too? These cars seem to like toe in.

Too bad you put on the steering rack at the same time.

I had a bump steer kit on my old X3. It helped.

No doubt the BSD obviously helped. But add bump steer to a rack that's so sloppy that the toe can change an inch or 2 at random at ride height and my 1.5" of bump steer could go to near 4" or whatever. All adds up. The amount of play in my old rack was getting rediculous. To think getting rid of all that play was less significant than a BSD kit is....yeah, no...

Not only could I feel the slop, I could hear it lol.

The additional control is even very noticeable on fairly flat surfaces as well where the suspension is barely cycling. On a flat dirt road before the rack, heavy straight line acceleration was a bit of a handful. Car is pin straight now in those conditions. Not constantly making corrections anymore.

Same thing on similar dirt roads running hard in Trail Active like I said. No significant bumps to cause bump steer. But you can feel the stock rack bind which literally turns your power steering on and off to protect itself. Total garbage that is 100% cured now.

No doubt the rack is a drastic improvement in itself.

Have about 1/8" toe in right now. But going to put it to 1/4". I think that will improve things a bit more. Car is a bit "darty". But that may just be me not used to the quicker steering ratio yet.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Even had a passenger along for the ride. Man I hate mud. Thankfully we don't see it as much here in Northern AZ as when I lived in Alabama.
Did you end up with any flooding or slides?
I should be back up there again in a couple weeks. Sorry I had to skip town without catching up, had to make a b line back to PHX as my pool decided to flood the back yard. Neighbors called and said the house was flooded. Been one thing after another this summer for sure.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts

There's how much more clay the wife got out of places with her hands and a scraper AFTER 2 hours of pressure washing lol.

Why anyone would by an X3 XMR is baffling to me lol.

X3 is the WORST machine to get clean of all time. The Maverick Sport is a 30 minute job at the worst of times.

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Turbo RR
270 Posts
Did you end up with any flooding or slides?
I should be back up there again in a couple weeks. Sorry I had to skip town without catching up, had to make a b line back to PHX as my pool decided to flood the back yard. Neighbors called and said the house was flooded. Been one thing after another this summer for sure.

No big flooding but had to repair my road twice last week. Got 40-tons of cinders delivered as it looks like Monsoon season is going to bring very heavy rains.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Soooo many places for shit to get stuck in its rediculous. It just keeps coming out and coming out lol.
And then you pull the tunnel, or drop the skid/s,,,, and it's like "Holy sh!t,,, how did I miss all this!?!?" 🤷‍♂️ :rolleyes: :mad:

Guys make fun of me for driving around mud/puddles,,, ("both" of them here in AZ) but I don't give a dayumm, cause I'm always alone when the car's getting cleaned up,,, so I say 🖕 to that. You're a better man/friend than me. I would have turned around and loaded up when I came across the first mud bog you guys came to.

Closest thing I get to that kind of mess is when it rains hard in Glamis. Sh!t gets everywhere. You would think that once the moisture dried out of the sand, it would just fall off. But NOOOOO. Stuff seems to stick like Peanut Butter. (nothing like what you had to deal with,,, but for me,,, it's a mess.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I have no doubt if I pulled panels there would be several bricks I could remove lol.

And some guys live for that stuff.

·
Registered
21 X3 RR Max w/Smart Shox.
107 Posts
And then you pull the tunnel, or drop the skid/s,,,, and it's like "Holy sh!t,,, how did I miss all this!?!?" 🤷‍♂️ :rolleyes: :mad:

Guys make fun of me for driving around mud/puddles,,, ("both" of them here in AZ) but I don't give a dayumm, cause I'm always alone when the car's getting cleaned up,,, so I say 🖕 to that. You're a better man/friend than me. I would have turned around and loaded up when I came across the first mud bog you guys came to.

Closest thing I get to that kind of mess is when it rains hard in Glamis. Sh!t gets everywhere. You would think that once the moisture dried out of the sand, it would just fall off. But NOOOOO. Stuff seems to stick like Peanut Butter. (nothing like what you had to deal with,,, but for me,,, it's a mess.
What I do is spray pam on the areas that I know mud will collect. Then when you take a pressure washer to it, falls right off. Ive been doing that for years on my KTMs.. Works like a champ.

·
Registered
2020 Can Am X3 X RC Turbo RR
14 Posts
Had MTS do a full spring and revalve on mine. Haven't had a chance to take it out due to the rain but hoping to very soon. Feels excellent on the pavement and the ground clearance gained is impressive.

·
Premium Member
X3 XRS R Triple Black
1,651 Posts
Teraflx
“Had MTS do a full spring and revalve on mine.”

You'll be surprised once you get the feeling of the new ride quality & height you can start to wale it on the trail

I went the route of ST and night and day different

Stay safe out there

·
Registered
2020 Can Am X3 X RC Turbo RR
14 Posts
Teraflx
“Had MTS do a full spring and revalve on mine.”

You'll be surprised once you get the feeling of the new ride quality & height you can start to wale it on the trail

I went the route of ST and night and day different

Stay safe out there

I totally agree. I had ST on my RZR and put about 5,000 miles on those shocks and was always blown away by them. Decided to try something new on the X3 which is why I went MTS this time, plus ST is backed up about 4 months right now. I am excited to get out there and put some miles on them and see how they feel.

1821 - 1840 of 2018 Posts