Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1681 - 1700 of 2015 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
I wish my brain could handle working in "chaos" such as that. Most of my buds can work on projects as you can. (just lay something down and remember where it is etc)

If I don't put sh!t back as I work, I'll spend half the day looking around for something that is right in front of me.

When I help one of my buds in his garage:

Bud - "Hand me the 13mm Socket please."

Me - "Where is it,,, I don't see it, the only thing in the socket drawer is one 7mm socket and a 12" Crescent wrench"

Bud - "It's over on the radial arm saw, under the sand paper, next to the cordless drill that hasn't worked since 2004."

Me - "How do you work like this?"

Bud - "Work like what?"

Me - "WTF??"

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Turbo RR
270 Posts
Man, I know what you mean about operating in chaos. Seems as I've gotten older I have a hard time keeping track of tools and parts. Then there's that doorway effect us seasoned citizens suffer from. If you're old enough to order off the senior menu you know what I mean; walk into the other room (or the other side of the shop) to get something and any distraction will erase your memory of why you're there.

When building a new project you are faced with multiple delays that force you to stop what you're doing and move to something else while waiting on parts, materials, special tools, etc. Then when you go back the stalled task -- WTF was I doing here??? I have to leave myself notes now or my brain goes into reboot and start-over mode. Hell, I really get upset when I can't find where I set my beer.

·
Registered
2021 RR MAX w/ shox
167 Posts
I wish my brain could handle working in "chaos" such as that. Most of my buds can work on projects as you can. (just lay something down and remember where it is etc)

If I don't put sh!t back as I work, I'll spend half the day looking around for something that is right in front of me.
Working on Boeing jets for a living, this is pretty typical for me. Wires and tools everywhere during the shift, but at the end of the day you clean up your workspace, tie up everything where you want to leave off/pick back up, and then put all your tools away. Then when you come back to work, you get everything back out again and start fresh. This way you never lose anything and you always know where you left off (schematics/notes/turn over log). Working on these little Camam’s is a walk in the park with 10’ of loose wire here and there and a hand full of sockets and such. Takes 10 minutes to clean up

·
Registered
2021 RR MAX w/ shox
167 Posts
My xprite chase bar harness wasn’t long enough for the max and the extension harness I ordered was the wrong gauge. Figures.. Guess I’m soldering now

·
Registered
2021 RR MAX w/ shox
167 Posts
Strongly recommend crimp over solder.
Strongly disagree. 20 years in aviation, crimps fail far more frequently than a properly done solder joint. Not even a debate really. What’s good enough for aviation in the harshest conditions is good enough for my X3.

That said, I use environmental crimps with heat sleeves weekly when repairing these 25 year old 767’s Amazon beats the piss out of it. Soldering in that case is far too time consuming and I’m pretty good with a crimper. Still, soldering over crimping when you have the time and equally as good at either.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Strongly disagree. 20 years in aviation, crimps fail far more frequently than a properly done solder joint. Not even a debate really. What’s good enough for aviation in the harshest conditions is good enough for my X3.

That said, I use environmental crimps with heat sleeves weekly when repairing these 25 year old 767’s Amazon beats the piss out of it. Soldering in that case is far too time consuming and I’m pretty good with a crimper. Still, soldering over crimping when you have the time and equally as good at either.
Interesting perspective. I didn't go until detail as I expected plenty of debate. I'm definitely not pretending to know it all. But I take this opinion from aerospace design experience.

The logic is that with stranded wire, the solder joints create sharp spikes of solder in between the copper strands. From there, any flexing of the solder joint can quickly work harden and break the copper strands. Satellite manufacturers I've worked with have primarily required proper crimping over soldering.

If your solder joint is very well restrained then you may get away with it. But i stand by my opinion, while respecting yours and your experience.

·
Registered
2021 RR MAX w/ shox
167 Posts
Interesting perspective. I didn't go until detail as I expected plenty of debate. I'm definitely not pretending to know it all. But I take this opinion from aerospace design experience.

The logic is that with stranded wire, the solder joints create sharp spikes of solder in between the copper strands. From there, any flexing of the solder joint can quickly work harden and break the copper strands. Satellite manufacturers I've worked with have primarily required proper crimping over soldering.

If your solder joint is very well restrained then you may get away with it. But i stand by my opinion, while respecting yours and your experience.
I’ve never seen sharp spikes of solder in the strands before. Perhaps if you don’t use flux or flux infused solder? The only real issue you have is if you put a solder joint in an area that requires a bend. That’s definitely a no-go. Although a splice wouldn’t do well in that scenario either. Also, keep in mind that almost all the relays in these machines, including your personal vehicle (and space vehicles (I was the lead the Avionics tech for Virgin Galactic years ago)) are soldered on.

Either way, I was thinking about it after your first comment and I have to change my argument to agree with you. You’re right, using a proper splice (water sealed) would be as good or better for nearly everyone. Not knowing ones background, I would have recommended a splice as well. Soldering can be difficult to get right and cause future problems faster than a failed splice. So... You’re right. All things considered. Cheers!

·
Registered
209 Posts
How well did the BFG‘s do?
They have done quit well overall for our terrain. better then expected and are wearing really well for how I drive

·
Registered
2020 XRC Turbo RR
595 Posts
I installed streamline front rotors and EBC race compound pads on all four corners last weekend and bled the brakes this weekend.

·
Premium Member
8,975 Posts
. Also, keep in mind that almost all the relays in these machines, including your personal vehicle (and space vehicles (I was the lead the Avionics tech for Virgin Galactic years ago)) are soldered on.
You are wrong about “in these machines”. Inside the X3 wiring harness the wires are crimped and taped then covered in crappy plastic wire loom.

I personally like the shrink splices with solder in them, then run another shrink tube over that.

·
Registered
2021 RR MAX w/ shox
167 Posts
You are wrong about “in these machines”. Inside the X3 wiring harness the wires are crimped and taped then covered in crappy plastic wire loom.

I personally like the shrink splices with solder in them, then run another shrink tube over that.
Youre right. I was talking about the relays but I just looked under the dash and they are a crimped on socket with the blade style relay mounted on top. The type I’m used to are the moisture proof connectors with solder post connection points. My fault.

·
Registered
40 Posts

When I help one of my buds in his garage:

Bud - "Hand me the 13mm Socket please."

Me - "Where is it,,, I don't see it, the only thing in the socket drawer is one 7mm socket and a 12" Crescent wrench"

Bud - "It's over on the radial arm saw, under the sand paper, next to the cordless drill that hasn't worked since 2004."

Me - "How do you work like this?"

Bud - "Work like what?"

Me - "WTF??"
Totally with you on this one. I spend up to half my time looking for tools/parts unless I organize them properly

·
Premium Member
8,975 Posts
Bunch of old forgetful bastards around here. I’m OCD and have to put my tools away daily and sweep the floor. If my wife our daughter puts something in MY garage I get nervous and it has to go away or be tucked in it’s permanent spot.

“everything has a place and there is a place for everything!!”

·
Registered
2021 RR MAX w/ shox
167 Posts
Bought an Amazon front/rear view mirror cause I didn’t like how huge the BRP one is and only displayed a tiny portion of the screen. I wanted a full screen type so I went this route for about $200. They don’t make front extension harnesses so I made my own by splicing in an extra rear harness and soldering a couple 26g wires. Turned it on thinking the rear view cam must have a setting to flip the cam view, but no... I have to reposition the cam now cause nothing can ever be TOO easy...

EDIT: Both cameras still have a blue protective plastic covering the lenses and the mirror still has the plastic on it as well.

·
Registered
2021 RR MAX w/ shox
167 Posts
Link to the amazon item

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1681 - 1700 of 2015 Posts