Can-Am Maverick Forum banner
1661 - 1680 of 2015 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Went on it's first ride. Now I'm tearing my hair out looking for the loose metal making the vibration/rattle the shop can't reproduce. Oh, and freaking out about the skid plate covered in gear oil dripping everywhere after 35 miles.........
This was built so bad it hurts.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I find the best way to keep the cab cool is to keep the engine bay cool and I keep it cool by leaving the intercooler fan running all the time. it does a great job blowing tons of heat out of the bay

my latest mod is the dynojet LCM and it works better than I though

·
Premium Member
13,639 Posts
Went on it's first ride. Now I'm tearing my hair out looking for the loose metal making the vibration/rattle the shop can't reproduce. Oh, and freaking out about the skid plate covered in gear oil dripping everywhere after 35 miles.........
This was built so bad it hurts.
Take a look at your heat shield covering the cat. Could be the source of the rattle. Gear box oil could have been spilled before and the ride made it shift and start dripping? See if the fill cap is tight.

Best thing to do is drill out the rivets on the rear skid, and replace with rivnuts. Plenty of threads on it in here. Drop the rear skid, and it makes oil and rear diff fluid changes a walk in the park.

Reactions: AZ Off Road

·
Registered
710 Posts
Take a look at your heat shield covering the cat.
Also take a gander at the Exh tip. I've personally had this happen, and read it here a few times as well. Some just loosen up,,, mine (and others) actually cracked at the mounting ring.

Yes they are a bit of a rattle trap,,, but the faster you drive it, the less it rattles. (y) 😁

Yes they cost as much as a 4Runner,,, and yes they shouldn't rattle like a tin can considering how much less goes into the X3 Vs something like an on-road / off-road vehicle. As soon as you let go of that analogy and realize you are paying for what they CAN do, not what they are NOT, the happier you will be with your purchase.

Not a slap at you at all,,, I felt the same way soon after purchase. (first slow, break-in ride) Once I got used to the car a bit and starting getting after it, I came to the realization I was making unfair comparisons.

Yes, it costs what a nice Jeep/4Runner costs,,, and no,,, it's nowhere near the quality of said similarly priced vehicles.

BUT,,, Just like you can't cruise down the road comfortably and quietly at 70 MPH for hours on end, for several hundred thousand miles, with relatively little maintenance in an X3 (like you can in a 4Runner etc),,, you just can't traverse the types of terrain, at the speeds the X3 can with many other vehicles, at anywhere near the price point.

We aren't paying for what it IS,,,, we are paying for what it can DO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Take a look at your heat shield covering the cat. Could be the source of the rattle. Gear box oil could have been spilled before and the ride made it shift and start dripping? See if the fill cap is tight.

Best thing to do is drill out the rivets on the rear skid, and replace with rivnuts. Plenty of threads on it in here. Drop the rear skid, and it makes oil and rear diff fluid changes a walk in the park.
Yeah, going to be drilling those out soon. What a crap design choice there........
The weird thing about the noise is it's very obviously a heat shield/sheet metal noise. Only happens when hot and driving over rocky terrain. If I stop and smack the shields there's no movement or noise.
It's super irritating though. Like 2 people slapping sheet metal sheets together behind your head when it's happening.
As far as the oil, there wasn't any there before. It wasn't spilled then spread. It's pooled up under the motor/transmission and covers the whole plate up top and running out most of the skid plate holes. Not a small leak.......

·
Registered
710 Posts
The weird thing about the noise is it's very obviously a heat shield/sheet metal noise. Only happens when hot and driving over rocky terrain. If I stop and smack the shields there's no movement or noise.
It's super irritating though
That's exactly what mine sounded like.... swore it was the heat shields. Did the same thing you did, MANY times. Didn't happen until the car got warmed up,,, and the hotter the car got, the worse the rattle was. If I revved the engine the rattle would go away until the RPM's came back down. Finally grabbed the exhaust tip while it was idling and the rattle stopped. Discovered the mounting ring was broken. Who'da thunk it?

Later found out it's not uncommon.

Not saying that's what yours is, but it is something to keep in mind in case you get a mystery rattle at a later date.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's exactly what mine sounded like.... swore it was the heat shields. Did the same thing you did, MANY times. Didn't happen until the car got warmed up,,, and the hotter the car got, the worse the rattle was. If I revved the engine the rattle would go away until the RPM's came back down. Finally grabbed the exhaust tip while it was idling and the rattle stopped. Discovered the mounting ring was broken. Who'da thunk it?

Later found out it's not uncommon.

Not saying that's what yours is, but it is something to keep in mind in case you get a mystery rattle at a later date.
I do have a slight rattle at idle that sounds like what you're describing as well when hot and only when hot. I'll check it out.
The noise I'm hearing that's killing me is a lot louder though and only presents when cruising over very rocky terrain. If you stop or idle it goes away completely. I'll make a separate post about it and update when I get more ideas or find it. Hopefully I can help someone else. Thanks for the tip about the tip...... Lol that little rattle is annoying too at idle.

·
Registered
2020 X3 XRS Turbo RR
270 Posts
Thanks for the complements. Drag racing was shutdown again at the beginning of the year and my drag car has been parked for two-years now so I bought an X3 to play with. Then I got to thinking, why not build it into a desert racer. I just can't leave well enough alone.

·
Premium Member
13,639 Posts
Thanks for the complements. Drag racing was shutdown again at the beginning of the year and my drag car has been parked for two-years now so I bought an X3 to play with. Then I got to thinking, why not build it into a desert racer. I just can't leave well enough alone.
With the skills you have, why would you? LOL!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just picked up a set of 5 point race harnesses and my suspension came back from Desert Speed Labs in W.A. Problem is I don't have the time to fit them yet.

1661 - 1680 of 2015 Posts