Can-Am Maverick Forum banner

801 - 820 of 1202 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Time to drag this up as it's not gotten much action.

Bought it and gave it a pair of shake down runs. Came home and found my daughter had been 'driving' it for nearly an hour. Took her out around the block and she's in love.

Ordered rock knockers, a Timken belt, and ZRP rear pull plate. Jacked it up and confirmed 1.5 inches of sag on the fox tune. Pulled the scrapers off.
Pulled the front end off and plasti-dipped the red fenders in the front as I really didn't like the look of it and if I'd have to toss them anyway, might as well paint them with what I already have.

Knocked out the sand from the filter, also going to order a S&B

Pulled the clutch cover and looked at the belt which appears fine, ordered the Timken anyway.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I bought an old bumper jack on eBay and modified it to work on my x3. Total weight 9lbs. It’s tall and strong enough to lift the whole side of the car by the frame, yet low enough to use on any corner for a quick tire change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
462 Posts
I like it , did something similar with a VW jack

Reactions: zambo

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I like it , did something similar with a VW jack
View attachment 250992
Those are cool, in fact I have one myself. Can lift any corner of the car easily and very compact. I decided to carry the bigger bumper jack though for Baja in case I have to change out a radius rod, axle, or some other thing that requires me to lift the car by the frame.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I agree the jack you built has the advantage of lifting the hole side, for major repairs unlike mine that is only good for lifting one wheel at a time . "Great idea"

·
Registered
462 Posts
Installed the my Element fire extinguisher. Hard to believe it's almost 5X the fire fighting time offered by a standard 5lb fire bottle ! Approximately 80% smaller than a typical traditional fire extinguisher and more than 10 times lighter in weight.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Lol, you're like a brutha from anotha mutha, I just got turned on to those things myself.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Those Element fire extinguishers are cool. Been thinking of replacing my regular one with this.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Lol, you're like a brutha from anotha mutha, I just got turned on to those things myself.
I just cut and paste there propaganda , hope I never need it !
Last fire I put out was someone else's , the bastard didn't even replace my extinguisher, I would still do it again

·
Registered
14 Posts
I worked on replacing my trailing arm bushing, was making loud clunking noise after 85 mile hard dune run. I will be ready for the next ride as soon as I get the replacement part in tomorrow and re assembled. See youtube video at
to hear the noise and see joint it is coming from. The clicking noise is the symptom of the bad part.

·
Registered
9,291 Posts
I bought an old bumper jack on eBay and modified it to work on my x3. Total weight 9lbs. It’s tall and strong enough to lift the whole side of the car by the frame, yet low enough to use on any corner for a quick tire change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
very nice. You got any more pictures of your spare tire set up? Is spare tire set up you used at NORRA?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
very nice. You got any more pictures of your spare tire set up? Is spare tire set up you used at NORRA?
Yes I ran it this way at NORRA.

Actually I've used this basic setup since I bought the car. The only difference for NORRA was I built the hoop nest to act as a rear bumper during the race. Before that it was just strapped to the back of the car. I put it there to keep the weight as low as possible, keep space in the bed for carrying duffel bags, etc, and to keep the view out the back of the car unobstructed as possible.

Basically I had to cut the plastic cargo deck out between the tail lights. I went right up to the square tube under the rack. I then put a piece of 1.5" angle under that tube and ran eye bolts through both pieces to strengthen the new back edge and to give a place for the upper end of the straps to attach. I then connected this piece of angle to the frame with some 3/4" tubing. I welded the upper end of the tube to the angle, and on the lower end I flattened the tube, drilled a hole through it, and bolted it to the stock cage where the factory bolt hole goes.

I put a little saddle on the pull plate for the bottom edge of the tire to sit on. I put a couple more eyebolts through the frame where the lower edge of the rear plastic fascia would bolt, just took out the clip nuts and used a big eyebolt with a nut inside the frame.

Of course all of this requires a muffler with a side exhaust or else you'll cook the wheel and tire. Rather than buy some expensive setup from a vendor I just used a regular car muffler and welded some support brackets to it like the stock muffler has.

Here's a couple pics after I built the hoop nest. Like I said before that the lower rings were just in the crosstube of the stock frame and the bottom of the tire just sat on a little "foot" welded to the pull plate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Put some new PRP GT3 seats and harnesses in. Love the seats but took some work to get them to sit low enough in the chassis with the stock sliders.
20200105_123651.jpg

801 - 820 of 1202 Posts